75lb Working Load Good Enough?

I'm going to be doing a lot of camping this month, and spending at least one or two nights in my hammock. I picked up some rope for when I ca't find two spots to hang that are close enough together. It says it's got a working weight of 75, but I tested it out and I know it will hold me and a used motorcycle tire, which has got to be close to 200, even though it stretches a lot.

So is this good enough? And if it's not that great, can I make up for the lighter rope by doubling or tripling it up? Say with a few loops?

I searched the FAQ "rope" and got "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." So I guess I'm the first person to talk about rope here.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    No 75 pound limit isn't enough. It is only about 1/10th what you should be using for safety sake. You can get some good suspensions form several of our venders or order some good rope. I try to build to 1000 pounds on my suspension. There are loads put on the suspension much more than just your weight.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Quote Originally Posted by sef650 View Post
    I'm going to be doing a lot of camping this month, and spending at least one or two nights in my hammock. I picked up some rope for when I ca't find two spots to hang that are close enough together. It says it's got a working weight of 75, but I tested it out and I know it will hold me and a used motorcycle tire, which has got to be close to 200, even though it stretches a lot.

So is this good enough? And if it's not that great, can I make up for the lighter rope by doubling or tripling it up? Say with a few loops?

I searched the FAQ "rope" and got "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." So I guess I'm the first person to talk about rope here.
    No. That's not even close. You'll end up bruised or dead. Depending on the angle of your hang, the lines from your hammock to the trees can easily have a force equal to more than 2x your weight pulling on each of them. To be even minimally "safe" you need something that will handle a working load of at least 3x your weight and don't forget that knots and other attachments can greatly reduce the rating of your line so the "3x" has to be after you've figured out the derating for the knots. Using 6x your weight as the goal isn't overly cautious at all.

Boris

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    NO! Don't use rope with 75lbs working load unless you have a thick mattress under you!! (and post the video here! )

You want at least 600 lbs working load. You're not talking body weight...the trigonometry of hanging a hammock means that you're multiplying your body weight as the force on the supports. Add to that the fact that knots (and even lashings) decrease the amount of force the rope can handle (called "derating"), and using a rope with 75 lbs SWL is a recipe for failure.

I've broken 550 cord twice now...that's what they use on parachutes and each cord is rated to 550 lbs. One of the times, it was doubled up...it broke at the knot.

Go with Spectra, Amsteel, polyester or polypropylene webbing, etc. Try to stay away from nylon b/c it'll stretch a lot...and it gets worse in the rain so you may just wake up on the wet ground.

If you need a quick, cheap hammock support, go to the car section of Walmart or Big Lots and get some ratchet tie-down straps. You can get 1" ones with a SWL of 600-1100lbs for about $12/pair at Big Lots...I saw a black pair yesterday, a blaze orange pair, a blue pair and a yellow pair. Yours should have some sort of selection like that...just be sure it's polyester.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    yeah...it's a bad idea ....order yourself some whoopie slings and tree straps
    or do what Jeff said...and get some straps from wally world..

and if you do hang from that 75lb rope please make a video of it and post it

we can file it in the "What not to do" section J/K
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Wow. That was about as quick and decisive as an h-bomb. Guess I went to the right forum.

Thanks, guys.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Glad we could help! When you settle on what to get, come back and let us know how it works out.

Besides, now you owe us a good idea! Or at least some pics of your setup.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Unless you weigh like 5lbs, i wouldn't do it....lol..

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    +1 on JustJeff's advice.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    If you need a quick, cheap hammock support, go to the car section of Walmart or Big Lots and get some ratchet tie-down straps. You can get 1" ones with a SWL of 600-1100lbs for about $12/pair at Big Lots...I saw a black pair yesterday, a blaze orange pair, a blue pair and a yellow pair. Yours should have some sort of selection like that...just be sure it's polyester.
    Or, I think Harbor Freights are rated at 1500 lb and are just a few bucks. If there is a HF near you.

• + New Posts