Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thread's thread

Thread's thread

So I have heard people complain about the Coats & Clark thread..... They say it is an inferior product that keeps breaking on them

I personally have never had a problem with their product, I have had a problem or two with the machine I was using, but not since my parents gave me a Singer 221 Featherweight for my birthday (get one if you can...you can actually 'feel' each stitch)

Anyway.... I got some Extra Strength thread from hancock fabrics and haven't used it b/c it just seems to 'bulky'... it is Gutermann, but I don't know anything more about it.

Question... What is the difference b/t the Gutermann Tera and Gutermann Mara on sclittlefield's DIY website http://www.diygearsupply.com/gi-bin/isle.cgi?type=all

http://oshmanbrothers.com/store/page1.html
    >Gütermann Mara Thread: The long fiber technology 100% schappe spun polyester ensures an even and optimum quality thread. Special features include high breaking strength and excellent abrasion resistance. Optimum seam quality is achieved. Silk-like lustre, making this article particularly suitable for ornamental buttonholes and prominent seams:
    >Gütermann Tera Thread: Continuous filament 100% polyester. High breaking strength and good abrasion resistance, together with optimum extension properties produce an attractive, even and durable seam. Special features include problem-free sewing with fine needles, even thread insertion, stitch holes do not open up. The heat resistant finish is a particular bonus for seams that are exposed to severe mechanical and thermal stress:
    Other than the heat resistance I don't see any difference, but I don't plan on exposing nylon to any source of heat.

I know I could have just asked Scott, but this is more fun

Discuss........
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    I use the Coats and Clark outdoor nylon. Or whatever they got nylon. No problems. I envy you your featherweight.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

I use the Coats and Clark outdoor nylon.
    Nylon....really.... I use the polyester thread.... I heard that it was better.... but i don't know where I heard that.

I guess as long as it is synthetic and not cotton.... any thread will do... Oh and I saw your DIY gear.... very impressive
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    When I compared C&C and Guttermand general-use polyester thread, I found the G to be less "fuzzy" and have a more consistent diameter. I do have some C&C Nylon heavy-duty thread that is very clean, and consistent...

I did switch to gutterman's and had less issues, but it could have been part of the learning curve with my cheapo machine...

I did get the 70d thread from scott, and I like the heavier thread, though I did have to get a bigger needle for it to work properly with my machine. I do have hammocks made with both the standard-duty thread and the heavier, both have held just fine, but I've had less breakage on the heavier thread.

I'm sure Rev with jump in and tell us something about sizing the thread to the fabric, and why...

My First hammock was made with heavy-duty nylon thread, but it was completely overkill. That, and I was winding bobbins more often.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I'm sure Rev with jump in and tell us something about sizing the thread to the fabric, and why...
    Sorry to disappoint. I use whatever thread and whatever needle I have on hand. You'll have to look elsewhere for the deneir/needle matching gurus. Good thread and a needle that don't break. That's my best advice.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    I see a lot of people who use polyester. I KNOW from cutting things apart that I bought and messed up, and then playing with the materials, most "commercially?" made items use polyester. I had problems with it in the singer simple, I dissected the machine and added washers to the tensioner to up the tension, had problems, went to nylon, no problems. Same thing with my 1949 singer. But I'm with ramblinrev. If all I had was poly, I would get impatient, and make it work.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by bdbart View Post
    ...Anyway.... I got some Extra Strength thread from hancock fabrics and haven't used it b/c it just seems to 'bulky'... it is Gutermann, but I don't know anything more about it.

Question... What is the difference b/t the Gutermann Tera and Gutermann Mara on sclittlefield's DIY website...
    I also have a spool of Gutermann "Extra Strong Thread" I bought at Joann's. It is a much bulkier thread and is fuzzy and I will probably only use it for hand stitching (read this as it will probably never get used).

I have both the Mara 70 and Tera 40. They are both thin smooth threads and work well with my machines and #11 needles on ripstop nylon, straps etc.

The Mara 70 is harder to break than regular threads and the Tera 40 is even stronger ( hurts my wussy fingers before it breaks).

Mara 70 is my go to thread for hammock projects and I now consider the Tera 40 to be overkill. I will use it up on straps but the Mara 70 is adequate for this as well.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hippofeet View Post
    I see a lot of people who use polyester. I KNOW from cutting things apart that I bought and messed up, and then playing with the materials, most "commercially?" made items use polyester. I had problems with it in the singer simple, I dissected the machine and added washers to the tensioner to up the tension, had problems, went to nylon, no problems. Same thing with my 1949 singer. But I'm with ramblinrev. If all I had was poly, I would get impatient, and make it work.
    You lost me on two counts. 1) I would not recommend dissecting the machine and refitting it. I would suggest taking it to mechanic and having it repaired correctly. Sounds to me like the plates were scored. But if it works for you... who am I to say no. 2) I don't recommend nylon thread for machine use. I have never had anything but problems with the tension setting and quality of stitches. Nylon thread IMO is designed for hand sewing making "invisible" repairs. But again if it works for you...
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

hey are both thin smooth threads and work well with my machines and #11 needles on ripstop nylon, straps etc.
    Thanks.... this is good info, since I don't want to buy different needles when I get a spool from Scott

hurts my wussy fingers before it breaks
    Thanks... this is good info, since I am also a wussy.... Thats what my friends started calling me once they found out I can sew.... but now they are asking me to repair/make/improve their reenactment gear

I will probably only use it for hand stitching (read this as it will probably never get used).
    Yeah...me too... the Extra Strength thread is now in my BOB

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Have extra needles on hand. I guarantee you will break one if you don't. It is also helpful to replace the needle more often than you think is needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast