Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images

Thanks for all the interest and support

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    When does this expedition depart? I'd be curious to follow the weather while you're out there.
    The proposed day of departure is Feb 7th. 2008. Should be a finalized date by the end of next week.

Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    It seems the only difference between what you are planning and what the others you know have done is that you plan to be off the ground versus on the ground?
    The only big difference between my trip and the Michigan group is location.I am several hundred miles north and in subarctic territory. They were firmly in the heart of canadian shield. However, the skill sets and techniques they demonstrated, should translate roughly universal. I am also using a prototype tent, and a hammock specific setup.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    hey turk... are you a member at BPL.com?
    just wondering if you had started a thread there? that would not only be a good place to hear from more cold weather campers but it would also be an opportunity for that community to have first hand exposure to how far cold weather hammocking can be taken.
    I am not a member. Didn't continue my membership this year. It IS a good idea. However, I have a few reasons for not doing that. Primarily stage fright. I really don't want to make a huge to-do about a trip that has not yet begun. Also that is way too far into the spot-light for my liking. At least if I fail miserably.. I am comfortable embarassing myself royally for the amusement of hammockforums, and Sgt Rocks site. Thats certainly a big enough audience for now. BPL is HUGE. HF and rocks HQ feels more like family. If I fall hard, it will be funny.. and we can all have a laugh.

Since there is some interest. I will share a few more details of the trip. I don't want to spoil it, before you get to watch the Youtube videos. But it may also help with advice and tips.

Pics and Description:

Pic 1. My destination is aprox 160ish miles north of Hwy 11 - the most northern "official road" in Ontario. I will travel to Cochrane on Hwy 11, and catch the Northlander rail / Polar Express northbound to the northern terminus of the rail system in Moosonee. The only other option is to charter a plane to moosonee (too expensive). There are no 4x4 or skidsteer logging roads that reach north enough to the townspeople of moosonee.
    Upon arrival in Moosonee, we will collect local intel and pull our sleds just a short distance to camp outside of town in one of 2 not yet set in stone locations. Depending on weather and ice conditions next day we will use either the ski taxi (see pic 5.), or water taxi services (see pic 4.) to shuttle us and our gear aproximately 9 miles to a small islet directly at the mouth of James Bay.(pic 2) (either taxi costs aprox 8 bucks and shuttle locals daily between the towns of Moosonee and Moose Factory across the river.)

It is here this tiny island (pic 2) that we plan to spend 2 nights. Situated at the utmost fringe of the treeline, with supposedly spectacular views of the Icepack and out into the arctic wastelands. One night will be spent on the Ontario side of the border. The second night crossing the provincial border within the same island onto the Nunavut side. After 2 nights on the island, again largely based on weather and ice conditions, we will either pull our pulks the 9 miles back to moosonee, or arrange for a taxi to pick us up. Either way... the trip is largely about testing our gear, and making a video for HF. As an added bonus this will be my first trip into polar bear territory and seal territory. I won't be the least bit upset if I don't see either Just for kicks I added the report from todays weather in Moosonee. (pic 3). By mid feburary, the mouth of James bay should be a right-hell-storm not fit for man nor beast.
    Last edited by turk; 12-29-2007 at 03:04.

Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images

Wow! That is a great trip!

Do you have to take any special precautions in Polar Bear country? That old bear taco line comes to mind.
    Just getting to the jump off point sounds like an adventure.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    There were several great reasons for this trip location

a) it was as far north as we could possibly get without a private charter plane.
    b) I wanted to be the first HF member to hammock in subarctic winter.

c) ...unfortunately, doing the research on the trip. I stumbled across this picture. It was taken between 1967-72 in a hut in Moosonee. A little Inuit baby in a bridge hammock Upstaged by an infant!! outrage.

I decided the only way to save face, was we would have to cross the border into Nunavut. And thereby making us the first hammockers to the most northern province in Canada.

as for the bears - Nunavut laws have a mandate to carry firearms of appropriate caliber that includes while in town.
    I neither own such a firearm, nor the appropriate carry permits for the province, nor the required documentation to transport.
    As the majority of my trip is technically inside the border of Ontario, Legalities are only in question for one night. We may employ cash money and the assistance of locals, with some post video editing to skirt this little problem. - but ya .. pretty much on my mind every day.
    Last edited by turk; 12-29-2007 at 04:07.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I am so jealous! Kool set up and GREAT sounding trip. Wish I could go

Sigh!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

love the pics look forward to more. Have a safe and great trip

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    A little Inuit baby in a bridge hammock Upstaged by an infant!! outrage.
    yeah, but she was born there & no doubt inside a permanent structure... no fair
    the bridge guys are going to love that one<g>.

and yeah, if the trip doesn't go as well as you hope, we're not going to laugh. were just going to continue to be impressed w/ the effort.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Although I haven't seen anything in the pics you've posted have you thought to use a reflector behind you stove to radiate more heat. such as a mylar emergency blanket or an alluminized military casualty blanket. Best wishes on your trip Have a Great Time and be safe!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    A little Inuit baby in a bridge hammock Upstaged by an infant!! outrage.
    yeah, but she was born there & no doubt inside a permanent structure... no fair
    the bridge guys are going to love that one<g>.
    If I didn't already have an atavar, I'd use that picture!

Maybe Hooch will rotate that one into his ever evolving lineup.

Grizz

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Hilleberg
    Insulation
    evazote
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    wow this looks fun!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images

the sleep system - ready to go

I am calling this sleep system the JRB Super-pod. It is basically the same idea as the speer pea-pod, but using all JRB gear. I plan to use this system on my trip to Nunavut. A little bulky, using 5 pieces of top shelf insulation gear, but I would rather be over prepared than under.

All told there is about $2000 here in down gear. ouch! But well worth it.
    Hopefully this system will see me thorugh -40 deg F, and well beyond, to anything dead winter in canada's remote subarctic can throw at her.

The full sleep system consists of:

Hammock: - ENO single

Under insulation: - JRB old rag mountain + JRB Rocky Mountain No Sniveller
    Top/side insulation: - JRB Katahdin quilt
    Wearable bags: FF Rock Wren (custom) + primaloft Exped Wallcreeper

The first layer of under insulation is the JRB ORM. Over that is the JRB RMS. If by chance I am hit with a winter storm, I plan to wear my FF rock wren and exped wallcreeper as part of my clothing system during evening activities.

The outer-most layer of the pod is the JRB Katahdin quilt. On the foot end I have made a cone shape using the katahdin to seal out drafts and clipped the draw cord to my eno singles structural ridgeline.

To keep the Katahdin top quilt in place I have used 2 pieces of shock cord, loosely bound around the entire pod, keeping careful attention not to compress the loft of the underquilts. I used the draw cords to secure the head-end section of the katahdin to the 1st underquilt. By undoing one side, I create a way to enter and exit the pod. It functions very much like one giant cocoon.

This system gives me suberb top, bottom and side insulation. I am hoping it is well up to the task of keeping me warm in diverse conditions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast