HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers

Has anyone ever.....

...used an UQ between a HH and the SS? It doesn't seem like it would compress it much. I was hoping for the awesome R- factor of the UQ and the splash proof factor of the SS. If it doesn't work, I want to save the cash and buy some other goodie. I see in the HH section, someone asked almost the same question. What I'm looking to do is use the UQ between the hammy and the SS. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Silverlion; 01-13-2011 at 02:34.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Your UQ will die!

Condensation will kill it if You are not using something as a vapor barrier. I tested two SS cores and Hennessy pads between them, it worked well but was so big of a hassle to set up that I sold the whole system.

Now using simple WBBB + Yeti UQ and that is effective and easy.
    Last edited by voivalin; 01-13-2011 at 03:50.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    I could use the space blanket as a vapor barrier, couldn't I?
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Space blanket is an option

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlion View Post
    I could use the space blanket as a vapor barrier, couldn't I?
    Yes that is true. Some of hammockers like space blankets. Space blanket can add surprising amount of warmth. But they can be bit noisy. And my experience is (not very deep and wide experience though) that I like my hammock to breathe also downwards not only upwards. (And I do not sweat much.)

In wintertime I nowadays use CCF pad as an extra insulation layer and that does not breathe either. But because it not so wide as a SS and it is next to my back it does not make any condensation problems unless one counts sweaty back. And it also works as a vapor barrier to protect UQ. In freezing temperatures dew point inside UQ is the problem why one wants to avoid any vapor in UQ.

Dry hammock is like dry diaper - cosy and warm!

Hammock
    HH hyperlight
    Tarp
    JRB Cat/Cuban Cat
    Insulation
    MW4UQ/Leighlo 2/3
    Suspension
    Whoop/Nacra/Dutch
    Tried Mount Washington 4 over the Super Shelter undercover and had a wet underquilt and damp cover. Using space blanket in the recommended Super shelter set up and did not have moisture so I guess it could work. I now use just the MW4 and add the Thermarest NeoAir short if I need a little more insulation in my HH Hyperlight. The Neo is a little sticky so it doesn't budge and it packs down to nothing. When you blow up the Neo just before bed your breath warms it up pretty remarkably and takes the chill off.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES

Smile Sometimes less is more

I have been using the HH with super shelter in some pretty cold temperatures and have to say that the humidity levels outside and due point will have a great effect on condensation. If you have sweaty back syndrome it means you are too warm. If you have too much condensation it is possible that you have too little ventilation. I have used the HH over cover which does not vent as well as it could and sometimes it is better to not use the over cover at all. Last week I was in temp around 20 to -8 with wind chills around -15. It was not extreme cold by any means but if you use a vapor barrier then you are holding in vapors and when in the cold the due point may be in the single digits. In other words just breathing can produce an uncomfortable amount of moister if you are sealed in too much. I use the stock open cell pad with space blanket on top which can act as a vapor barrier but can also over heat you. I have sometimes added a thin synthetic summer bag beneath the foam to insulate against the wind leaving the space blanket out completely. I tried a thermarest but found it uncomfortable since it was so narrow. It is always better to be dry so if you are having any moister trouble consider what how each layer works and affects other layers. Sometimes less is more. You may stay dryer with more layers on your body and less on the hammock or vice versa.
    hope this helps

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    I was shooting for the best of both worlds. It rains a lot in Oregon(way too much in my opinion) so I wanted the waterproofing of the SS with the killer warmth that the UQ offers. I don't go out in below freezing temps(I hate cold too. Born in Texas) but the weatherman is always wrong. I pretty much stay home with my warm wife if the expected temps hover at freezing. I'm more of a 35* and up kind of hanger.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    The SS unfortunately is not so much designed for waterproofing as it is for insulating. I would not use the SS in weather above 35 degrees and would not use the over cover at all in your climate because it is just too damp. You should only use the over cover in very dry conditions since there is so little ventilation. You may be better off with a large hex fly for rainy days that can reach the ground to keep water from blowing into you hammock. Something I have discovered is if you add a full ridge line to you fly and hang it separately from your hammock you can tie it much tighter and it wont sag when you crawl inside the hammock. You will have great ventilation and may not need a vapor barrier or you could seal the under cover with a water proofing spray to keep the rain out. Remember that heat rises and so all you really need to due to keep cold off your back is use a thin barrier beneath you to break the wind. You may stay warmer by considering insulation for above you.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by CryOTheWild View Post
    The SS unfortunately is not so much designed for waterproofing as it is for insulating. I would not use the SS in weather above 35 degrees and would not use the over cover at all in your climate because it is just too damp. You should only use the over cover in very dry conditions since there is so little ventilation. You may be better off with a large hex fly for rainy days that can reach the ground to keep water from blowing into you hammock. Something I have discovered is if you add a full ridge line to you fly and hang it separately from your hammock you can tie it much tighter and it wont sag when you crawl inside the hammock. You will have great ventilation and may not need a vapor barrier or you could seal the under cover with a water proofing spray to keep the rain out. Remember that heat rises and so all you really need to due to keep cold off your back is use a thin barrier beneath you to break the wind. You may stay warmer by considering insulation for above you.
    I've never had any issues from splash getting the insulation wet thanks to the SS. I have never not used the SS on my hammock. The one time I had condensation issues was due to the way I set up my bag in conjunction with my SS. I don't have the overcover because it is a dry cold use only item. I have the Hex Fly and use a separate ridgeline. I have never had an issue with my tarp. Always use the space blanket as recommended by HH.
    I just wanted to know if it was possible to combine the UQ with the SS because I like the idea of the UQ, but already have the SS and just want to use it to keep the UQ from getting wet from the splash from rain. Sometimes the wind pics up and blows the rain in and under the tarp.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    I just realized I hadn't read all the previous posts. Sorry about all the rambling. Your right a quilt could be used as another insulation layer with the under cover protecting it. I had misread and thought you wanted to use it on the outside. I guess I was a little too posting happy the other day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast