Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    "insultex + momentum" = Stylish*lightweight+warmth
    Diy work

(Bomber who knows no math)
    Bomber, It was a rough day at work and I needed a good laugh and your post did the trick. Thanks!
    Terry

I'm not sure about this, but I've heard this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Just be aware that good climbing rope makes for bad hammock suspension. Climbing rope needs to stretch to avoid shock load killing you in a fall. Hammock suspension works best with no stretch so you don't wake with your hammock on the ground.

Even here in the States climbing gear is rated in kN. Now if we could just give up using pounds, ounces, miles and feet we could actually communicate with the rest of the world.
    thought that's what my harness was for Actually thought it was the other way, youdon't want your climbing rope to stretch, that's why they cost 200 bucks for 100ft. I could get stretchy nylon rope for cheap, all it is is beefed up 550, but climbing rope wont stretch so you wont have any variables climbing.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Now if we could just give up using pounds, ounces, miles and feet we could actually communicate with the rest of the world.
    NO...the world gots Google too (well maybe not China, repressive buggers they are). They can look up pounds and ounces just like I have to look up them kilos and liters.

That's my two pence.

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    NO...the world gots Google too. They can look up pounds and ounces just like I have to look up them kilos and liters.

That's my two pence.
    +1

the messege was too short, blah blah....

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat ultra
    Insulation
    incubator+burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    thought that's what my harness was for Actually thought it was the other way, youdon't want your climbing rope to stretch, that's why they cost 200 bucks for 100ft. I could get stretchy nylon rope for cheap, all it is is beefed up 550, but climbing rope wont stretch so you wont have any variables climbing.
    There are two kinds of climbing rope, static, and dynamic. Both serve very different purposes.
    The rope you actually feed through your harness is a dynamic rope. These ropes stretch to absorb the impact of a fall, as you don't want your fall to be arrested instantaneously (this would cause damage where your harness sits on your legs/crotch). The stretch allows sort of a "soft landing"; You're allowing the ropesto absorb some of the energy of the fall, rather than all the energy being transferred into your harness. Especially when lead climbing (climbing above your anchor points) climbing with a static rope could be very dangerous.

Static ropes are used primarily to establish anchor points at the top of a cliff you want to climb from far away from the ultimate anchor point (where it actually attaches to a rock/large tree). These are the type of ropes you want to use for hanging a hammock, as you don't want stretch in your hammock suspension.

The type of rope is not necessarily what determines the cost. Generally ropes with a higher strength to weight ratio cost more, while heavier/weaker ropes will be cheaper. You definitely wouldn't want to climb on a cheap nylon rope, they will not absorb the impact of a fall. A big part of the expense of good climbing rope comes from the fact it needs to be able to arrest multiple times your actual body weight in falling force, (measured in newtons) since your body accelerates as it falls, the actual energy in the fall multiplies as you pick up speed, you need a rope that has a reasonable safety margin above the maximum weight of the user.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    In the works.
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinar View Post
    There are two kinds of climbing rope, static, and dynamic. Both serve very different purposes.
    The rope you actually feed through your harness is a dynamic rope. These ropes stretch to absorb the impact of a fall, as you don't want your fall to be arrested instantaneously (this would cause damage where your harness sits on your legs/crotch). The stretch allows sort of a "soft landing"; You're allowing the ropesto absorb some of the energy of the fall, rather than all the energy being transferred into your harness. Especially when lead climbing (climbing above your anchor points) climbing with a static rope could be very dangerous.

Static ropes are used primarily to establish anchor points at the top of a cliff you want to climb from far away from the ultimate anchor point (where it actually attaches to a rock/large tree). These are the type of ropes you want to use for hanging a hammock, as you don't want stretch in your hammock suspension.

The type of rope is not necessarily what determines the cost. Generally ropes with a higher strength to weight ratio cost more, while heavier/weaker ropes will be cheaper. You definitely wouldn't want to climb on a cheap nylon rope, they will not absorb the impact of a fall. A big part of the expense of good climbing rope comes from the fact it needs to be able to arrest multiple times your actual body weight in falling force, (measured in newtons) since your body accelerates as it falls, the actual energy in the fall multiplies as you pick up speed, you need a rope that has a reasonable safety margin above the maximum weight of the user.
    Very well said gavinar!
    Your explanation got through to the part of My Brain
    that actually understands stuff like that.
    I am happy
    Thank You for that.
    "Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."
    - Mark Twain

"Pray to God, but row for shore." - Old Proverb

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    For the record - google - "translate x lbs to kilos" and variation thereof, subtitute units of measurement at will ( language too )

Being from the western down under ( its not the arse end of the world, but you can see it from here ) this has made reading info on this site SO much easier and a **** site more accurate!
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12