Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images

Granite Gear White Lightnin'

I just ordered a Granite Gear White Lightnin' 12x10 tarp from REI. With it being on closeout for $93 and the holiday coupon, I got it for $83.12 plus tax. I have it sent to the local REI so there is no shipping cost. It is a cat cut tarp, and from the description it looks like it may be silnylon. It's 28oz. My questions are, since I haven't really been looking at tarps (it was a spontaneous splurge), how does this fit spec-wise with some of the others, such as a Macat or a Speer winter tarp? Weight and size are what I'm mostly wondering, although I also wonder if I got as good a price as I think I did.

Since my other tarp is a Hennessy poly hex tarp I'm spoiled by having a large tarp. This will go in the pile with my 5 hammocks, 3 packs, etc. ... One of these days I'm going to actually go hiking with this stuff
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    JRB and Speer hammocks are 11x10, so you get a foot longer ridgeline. The Speer is 16 oz made from 1.1 oz silnylon, and requires 8 stakes. The JRB is 18 oz made from 1.1 oz silnylon, and requires 6 stakes. Both have varying levels of cat cuts on them.

The White Lightning is 23 oz according to the Granite Gear website, and requires 6 stakes. It says it's made from 30D sil cordura ripstop...30D is 1.1 oz ripstop.

The website lists it for $190...heckuva deal at $83!! Let us know how it works out for you!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

I use a white lightning over my homemade hammocks. It's a great tarp with good coverage. I did remove the webbing adjusters except the ones on the ridgeline.They're handy for centering the tarp over the hammock

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I did see that the GG site lists the weight as 1lb 7oz and REI shows it as 28 oz. Strange. I appreciate the translation that 30D sil cordura ripstop == 1.1 oz ripstop, that was one thing I was really wondering about. And, yeah, I'm wondering about the 'webbing adjusters' too.

It should be here in time for my 3 weeks that I'll be down at Dobbins for work. I'm hoping to head to Springer while I'm down there. Since I'm driving and not flying, I guess I could take my sewing machine and maybe actually make my DIY hammock... hmmm... Wonder if anyone would complain about the noise in the hotel while I sewed? I"ll also have my Treklight double with my Speer snugfit. Anyway, I'll get the new tarp out and play while I'm down there.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

• + New Posts