Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I agree with Gargoyle, to many variables!!

and now I'm gonna add another one.....

Question, are you trying to just go with one winter quilt?? Or can you add something to make what you have already, work?? Something I've just started working with (I'm making my own and will start testing soon) is IX insulation. You might want to look into just adding a layer of that to what you already have.

TinaLouise

All of the quilts made by the vendors here on HF are all well made, proven products, "the best" is always subjective! Gargolye gave very good insight to this!
    Each quilt provides something different, and is only viewed as "better" or maybe even "best" by the owner!
    But pretty much each quilt has proven themselves to do what they claim, there are hundreds of threads on each and every quilt (well all except AHE's newest additions, which I have no doubt will do the same as the others, perform) and they all do just what they claim "kept someone warm", but each person finds a different result, not everyone can use a claimed quilt to it's lowest temp rating, and some, even those "Big Dogs" as was previously mentioned get cold butt's every now and then, just like the rest of us!
    Best advise that can be given, is choose the quilt based on what you want, larger width, length, lightest weight, needed temp range, extra features, but only you can make the decision as what "You" feel is best!
    Good luck on your search!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy2k View Post
    I think those that camp in the negatives always double up - two UQs, UQ and a pad, or a UQ and a sock.

~Dan
    this might be true...I will say, I have a WB winter yeti (prototype - I'm not sure of the differences) that I have used stand alone at -5*F with room to spare. Again, that is me and that may not work for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I agree with Gargoyle, to many variables!!

TinaLouise
    X2 on the Big G!!

everything else being equal , the higher the loft, the warmer you'll be. But remember, the LOWEST point of loft (where the baffling is) will be your weakest point.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    3 agreements in one day..

I'm quitting while I'm ahead.

NOT!!!!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    It looks like nobody is willing to give me a definitive answer, which is understandable

But despite the wind temp, weather conditions & individual user (sorry G, not picking your post out here but you did list some good criteria), which is the warmest UQ claimed by the manufacturer ? I realise some ratings could be optimistic but there's enough of us out there using them these days that we must have an idea of which one has the warmest manufacturers claimed rating.

I'd like to add that I am really happy with the Snugfit but there have been one or two occasions when it could just do with being a touch warmer. The lowest I've been down to with the SF was -9c (around 16F I think ?).

Some of you guys mention doubling up which is something I've never even thought about, might have to pair up my Unsponsored 3/4 and my Snugfit and see how they work together.

Thanks for the info folks
    Last edited by Shewie; 01-14-2011 at 10:40.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    It looks like nobody is willing to give me a definitive answer, which is understandable

But despite the wind temp, weather conditions & individual user (sorry G, not picking your post out here but you did list some good criteria), which is the warmest UQ claimed by the manufacturer ?

Some of you guys mention doubling up which is something I've never even thought about, might have to pair up my Unsponsored 3/4 and my Snugfit and see how they work together.

at this point...and testing done by people I know and trust (but not all inclusive)
    You want specific names?
    WB winter yeti
    JRB MW4
    StormCrow 4 season "phoenix"

When its going to be COLD, those are MY first 3 choices. There are others that meet that criteria...these are the only ones I have used or people I trust vouch for.
    Last edited by animalcontrol; 01-14-2011 at 14:56.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have an over-stuffed Winter Yeti and find it very warm. I have had it down to -5 alone .....only a foot pad in my TQ footbox.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    WB yeti has the tallest baffles at 3.5"
    As the post mentioned before you. The baffles for all winter quilts at Hammock Gear are 4" tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post

But despite the wind temp, weather conditions & individual user (sorry G, not picking your post out here but you did list some good criteria), which is the warmest UQ claimed by the manufacturer ? I realize some ratings could be optimistic but there's enough of us out there using them these days that we must have an idea of which one has the warmest manufacturer's claimed rating.

I'd like to add that I am really happy with the Snugfit but there have been one or two occasions when it could just do with being a touch warmer. The lowest I've been down to with the SF was -9c (around 16F I think ?).

The winter quilts at Hammock Gear are just what we have listed for sale. We have custom made gear for colder temperatures for many people. If you let us know how cold you want the quilt to be rated....we will do it.

Good luck in your quest. As many have said here. It is hard to go wrong with any of the guys out there making a differential under quilt. And most/if not all of them do that.

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy2k View Post
    I think those that camp in the negatives always double up - two UQs, UQ and a pad, or a UQ and a sock.
    I don't double-up my insulation, but I do use a winter tarp w/doors when it gets frigid.
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I think there are too many variables to say "this quilt is the best".
    I totally concur (no agreement here G. ).

With the exception of Stromcrow's stuff and Te-Wa's stuff, (I now have a Te-Wa in-hand, but haven't had the opportunity to test it yet) I've used them all. IMO, the SnugFit is the warmest piece of anything I've put around me on a hammock. I find it humorous that it was only rated to 30°F. I've had my cold-blooded (temp, not attitude) girlfriend into single digits with a SnugFit. Marvelous piece of gear, but a little on the heavy side of things.

My Winter Yeti has seen negative double-digits many times and always kept me nice and warm with a smaller weight penalty.

While I haven't used the MW4, my MW3 is pretty dreamy at low temps. A MAJOR improvement in warmth versus their flat quilts IMO.

Can't speak for Paul's work, although I'm sure it's fantastic, but my old-school KAQ is surprisingly warm for what little insulation is in there. I'm gonna crack it open one of these days and add another layer. It won't fit in my pack anymore after I do it, so there's that.

On the right hammock, a PeaPod is a tough item to beat. Minor supplements here and there can really boost that thing and makes it pretty versatile.

I'll even <gulp> give a shout to the HH SuperShelter. Kind of hurts my feelings cause I really do enjoy poking fun at it, but with practice, they are surprisingly effective. It took many attempts and experiments in the backyard to learn how to dial it in (still learning), but I've actually had to remove top layers on cold nights as I started to overheat. Probably my biggest issue with the SuperShelters is the need to stay aware of my body temp and perspiration. But, I'm a sweater. Your results may vary.

They are all good, just some are better in specific areas. No way I could ever say "Quilt X is the best one out there". It wouldn't be accurate, depending on who I was speaking with at the time. I will tell you this, I carry my Yetis a great deal more than any other UQ; like 10 to 1. So, if you want to know my favorite and what I consider my best quilts, my answer would be the Yetis.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Well G, make it 4 agreements. I too think there are too many variables to make a fair comparison. There are characteristics we all examine and prefer when it comes to something as simple as a hammock. That does not make one right and another wrong. Preferences carry over when it comes to staying warm that are even more complex because of how we are all different with comfort levels, metabolism, the mechanics of the stuff we use, etc. etc.

What I am working toward with a system for my wife is very different than the one for me. Besides, if there was one best, what fun would we have here talking about all this stuff.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast