DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    Well I have to say i have had a 3 season crows nest out in the single digits and was warm with no cold spots. ! combine the 3/4 uq with a 2/3 uq under my feet and over laps the crows nest under my butt when it gets much colder than that.

See this is what I love about this site you have "3" awesome quilt makers talking (read "talking") about quilts for all to see and read, with no animosity, no issue, no product pushing, just good quality informational chatting! You won't find this anywhere else!

OP sorry for the thread drift, but I felt this really needed to be said!

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    WB yeti has the tallest baffles at 3.5"
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    As the post mentioned before you. The baffles for all winter quilts at Hammock Gear are 4" tall.

The winter quilts at Hammock Gear are just what we have listed for sale. We have custom made gear for colder temperatures for many people. If you let us know how cold you want the quilt to be rated....we will do it.

Good luck in your quest. As many have said here. It is hard to go wrong with any of the guys out there making a differential under quilt. And most/if not all of them do that.

~Stormcrow
    i guess BB did say that.

did you just change the spec, wasn't it 3" a couple months ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    the "Flurry" also has 3.5" mesh baffles.
    the channels are on a 2" differential cut and loft is over 4"
    specs are much like the other differential cut shortie quilts out there.

i do think tho, as a side note, that my suspension being independent on both ends will give the user the easier opportunity to "upgrade" (if you will) to triangle thingies, if applicable.

this should only be done if necessary, since you cannot make an underquilt that works for everyone, all the time. I say having 2 or three of them is the "best"
    my .02

im sure you will enjoy any of the fine quilts on the market. i have personally inspected the Yeti, the Phoenix, the Mt. WA 3&4, and they are all fine items. Never seen a snugfit tho, so cannot comment.
    anybody think it's a good idea to measure the actual thickness with the diff. cut quilt laying inner shell up instead of outer shell up? the inner shell is smooth so you get a more accurate/consistent/repeatable measurable number.

mike when you say 4" are you talking about the absolute peaks with the quilt laying outer shell up? it seems like that's what everyone is referring to when they are talking about thickness? but it seems way more consistent to measure it the other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    pretty much, brandon. but, i will say the only true measurement is with the quilt in an arc, as you would find while attached to the hammock..
    and the obvious goal of ours as quilt makers is to achieve the same loft as the baffle height (thickness)... at least on the Flurry the baffle of 3.5 is my goal of loft while in use.
    your Yeti seems to also have a good design in that it achieves the same ratio.

keep up the good work!
    mike
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    OOoops, sorry I missed this Brandon. They have had 4" baffles for almost a year now I think. I have made a few design changes in the quilts over the months but the baffles heights have been pretty consistant at 1" 2" and 4".

I will second what Mike said. I have noticed that 3 dimensional quilts that are spread out on a flat surface tend to have deep folds every so often. Only when they are hung up and the fabric is allowed to be in the shape of its design can a person get the best idea of the true loft. My 2 cents anyway.

~sc
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post

OP sorry for the thread drift, but I felt this really needed to be said!
    No problem CB, it's been a really interesting read and I've picked up a few more tips along the way

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    See this is what I love about this site you have "3" awesome quilt makers talking (read "talking") about quilts for all to see and read, with no animosity, no issue, no product pushing, just good quality informational chatting! You won't find this anywhere else!
    2nded

Images
    So, the Snugfit ( RIP ) appears to be extraordinarily conservatively rated. It seems Youngblood temp rated it strictly according to rated loft, which was 2.5" in some areas but only 2" in other spots( on the ends?) if mem serves. Based on that, the rating of 30F only seems slightly conservative. After all, a No Sniv has a good 2.5" throughout and is rated at 25-30F, while The Stealth with 1.5" is rated 40-45. I don't think I have heard of many folks using them alone much colder than than those ratings and being warm, I could be wrong though.

So that SF rating seems in the ball park to me. But many have reported taking it much colder and being fine. As Cannibal said, his warmest 3 season under quilt. So how do you account for that? The SF weighs a bit more than similarly rated UQs. Is that due to "stuff" that causes it to fit much better, snugger and more consistent than other UQs, even dif cut UQs? Maybe a better fit through the legs than most other UQs? Or is there something else? As with the PeaPod ( seems like with mine anyway) just a good bit more loft than advertised, and nothing more complicated than that?

Going by all the good press lately, too bad these went away! Youngblood (Snugfit, Speer Winter tarp, Speer SPE) is a very talented designer!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-18-2011 at 15:09.

are there any closed celled under pads out there?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234