Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Northern Canada help please

I'm looking at planning a trip over there next year and am wondering about a suitable National Park to visit. I want to paddle and hang and am happy to go anywhere, but I will need a place to hire a canoe as it's not practical to take my own (I'm in the UK). I want wilderness, not campsite.

I'm also wondering about the best time to go. For work reasons it would need to be between either end of March / early June, or beginning of July / mid October.

I've searched the internet and have some basic ideas (Yukon) but would appreciate more ideas or specific suggestions for trips. I'm not set on Yukon and am happy to look at other areas. I can do 3 weeks for a trip to include travel each way.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I was up in the Northland this summer near Hudson's Bay then east towards the Saint Lawrence. You'll get wilderness, believe me! We drove for hours, on dirt roads, without seeing another soul. You come across random 'villages' of mobile homes and the occasional mine and such, but very sparse...and BEAUTIFUL! Many of the areas have a spongy ground which resulted in spending a lot more time finding a good hang. The trees are relatively small and their root systems are shallow in the spongy ground. Not hard to push over by hand in many cases.

I'm sure this is just the area I was in, but wanted to give you a heads-up. Very, very pretty country inhabited by gracious people. The Native Tribes can be stand-offish, but even they will warm up to you given a little time. Listen to them! They know some great little tricks to surviving up there and they are happy to share their knowledge. The trick with them is to NOT ask any questions, they will clam-up immediately. Let them tell you in their time and they will tell you what they know as they believe it applies to you. Learned a great trick for cooking and eating bony fish. Mmmmm, good.

Wonderful place for an outdoorsman/woman. Really pristine and wild country and I can't wait to go back!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Many thanks. Sounds great. The st Lawrence is huge isn't it? Will have to look at the map.

Any other ideas gratefully received

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    The st Lawrence is huge isn't it?
    Yes it is. That was one of the most scenic parts of my trip. Every little town you go through along the St. Lawrence looks like a postcard. Just beautiful!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I was up in the Northland this summer near Hudson's Bay
    Where were you, in Radisson?

Two years ago I was up there and rode the Trans Taiga into central Quebec. It was 750km from the nearest town, furthest you can get from civilization by road anywhere in North America.

Beautiful up there. Labor Day week and the weather was great and no bugs!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    Basically, we went from Quebec City to Lac Saint-Jean, then to Lac Chibougamamu (oooh, did we have fun saying that one! ), then on to Hudson's Bay. Up the west side of the Bay for what seemed like a thousand miles until we ran out of road. Along the Bay is where we met the Indian Natives. We were there scouting a kayak trip, so we were following the waterways as best we could by road and talking to as many people as would talk to us. Learned some good curse words on that trip!
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post

Two years ago I was up there and rode the Trans Taiga into central Quebec. It was 750km from the nearest town, furthest you can get from civilization by road anywhere in North America.

Beautiful up there. Labor Day week and the weather was great and no bugs!!
    Good to hear. I'm in Northern Ontario, and I've got a week long trip planned up there this summer.

OP: I'm on the shore of Lake Superior, and I'm not sure the length of your stay but I'd be willing to take you out for a weekend or two, and/or give you some pointers to good areas. We have Lake Superior Provincial Park not too far away, with pleanty of day and multi-day hiking trails, as well as pleanty of Crown Land to camp on.

I know this thread has been buried for a while, but I'm sure you're still planning your trip and I thought I'd extend my help.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Are we talking forest or river?

I just looked up the first nations in the area and the list is incredible. So interesting. My problem from here is that I can only see the whole area on google maps which isn't ideal so I'll have to get to the book shop for a proper look.

My other issue is which airport to fly to as I'll need a rental car / 4x4 depending on where I go

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Only airport I've used was the one in Quebec City. Rethink the 4x4 bit if you are planning on long drives. We got lucky and they didn't have the car I had reserved, so I was forced to accept a Lincoln Towncar. That vehicle is so far removed from 'my style' that it's funny, but it turned out to be ideal. As I said, the area we were in had only dirt roads. They were unbelievably smooth for dirt roads, but they were still dirt. That big ol Towncar let us just cruise down the roads with very little discomfort. I'm still coughing up road dust half a year later, but my backside was comfortable while bouncing down the road. It would not have been as pleasant in a vehicle with a stiffer suspension and we would not have been able to cover as much ground as we did in 10 days in most other vehicles because we would have been driving much slower.

Yeah, the river. Sorry bout that.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Interesting. I drive a Landrover Defender so I'm used to a pretty harsh ride

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast