Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Seam and grosgrain questions

I'm almost ready to start a DIY hammock setup, and I have a few seam questions.

It looks like most are using flat-felled seams for fabric joins and rolled hems for edges. Would you agree these are good methods for making strong gear?

When you say "rolled", do you mean the edge folded over once, then twice and sewed or are you just folding over once?

When you use grosgrain on an edge, do you just fold the ribbon in half lengthwise along the edge or do you somehow fold the ribbon edges under before sewing (I guess I'm asking do you "hem" the edges of the grosgrain itself)?

Do any of you apply grosgrain to a fabric join seam? If so, do you just sew it down flat on top of the seam, or do you somehow fold the grosgrain?

*Please replace all instances of the word "sew" above with the words "thread inject".

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post

It looks like most are using flat-felled seams for fabric joins and rolled hems for edges. Would you agree these are good methods for making strong gear?

When you say "rolled", do you mean the edge folded over once, then twice and sewed or are you just folding over once?

When you use grosgrain on an edge, do you just fold the ribbon in half lengthwise along the edge or do you somehow fold the ribbon edges under before sewing (I guess I'm asking do you "hem" the edges of the grosgrain itself)?

Do any of you apply grosgrain to a fabric join seam? If so, do you just sew it down flat on top of the seam, or do you somehow fold the grosgrain?

*Please replace all instances of the word "sew" above with the words "thread inject".
    Flat felled adn rolled hems are what I use.
    Rolled hems are folded.
    I fold the grosgraine as I sew unless it is a small piece, then I iron it first.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Agreed.
    Folded twice, so the raw edge is inside the seam.
    Nope, Grosgrain has a sturdy edge, so just fold it in half, and edge away. Bias tape and twill tape both come in "double-fold" varieties that have the edges pre-folded. Bias tape is real nice to work with if you have to edge curves and stuff. Grosgrain is a pain if there are curves.
    It depends on the item, but some people like to "bind", that's a technical term, the seam with grosgrain or bias/twill tape.
    It looks something like this: fabric edges -> => <- GG or tape. It's usually just for a cleaner look, or where it's impossible to make a felled seam.

Hope that helps ya!
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY &quot;warbird&quot;
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    That helps a lot! I've seen projects with lots of grosgrain/bias tape on it, and I wasn't sure whether people were putting it on flat felled seams or not. There's lots of info on seams, and lots of info on using grosgrain/tape, but not so much on the method for attaching it (at least not that I could find). Thanks for the info.

I'm nearly ready to start my project, but I'm nervous as a pig in a bacon factory!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Don't worry! Just jump right in. I can't sew straight anway...

I've been quoted as saying: "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... "

As long as it works for YOU, it'll turn out great.

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Just invest in a small item called a "SEAM RIPPER"
    Don't worry, it will become a trusted friend ...
    Mine holds a place of honor, right alongside my scissors, next to my machine.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ &amp; TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    So far, I've just mated two rolled seams in an overlapped fashion on most of the joins that I've made. ie. to join the edges of piece A and piece B, I first roll the edges of A and B as PuckerFactor described. Then I overlap them and run a single row of straight stitches down the center of the overlap. I think the grosgrain or binded (is that a real word?) edge looks better, but most of what I make is DIY stuff for me, and I care less about what it looks like.

I just made a peak bag for OldGringo, and it is the first time I've used folded grosgrain to bind and finish the edge of two joined pieces of fabric. I wanted it to look better since it was for someone else. I did not flat fell the seam first, I just guided the two layers of fabric and the folded grosgrain into the machine in one pass. Thought it would be more challenging than it was. Had to go real slow, but only had to rip about an inch of seam and redo.

I also have a binding foot on my Singer and have used it to attach grosgrain with the grosgrain edges rolled under as was asked about. I rarely use it as the plain folded grosgrain works fine.
    I hope that helps.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ &amp; TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    So far, I've just mated two rolled seams in an overlapped fashion on most of the joins that I've made. ie. To join the edges of piece A and piece B, I first roll the edges of A and B as PuckerFactor described. Then I overlap them and run a single row of straight stitches down the center of the overlap.
    Felt compelled to chime in today, as I spent a few hours last night working on a DIY Ogee tarp. To join one of the triangles to the body I used the rolled hem method I mentioned in the previous post. It may be the ugliest seam I've ever sewn. I'm concerned that it will cause water to pool around the seam and will have to seam seal the mess out of this sucker..
    In retrospect, a flat felled seam would have been easier, look WAY better, and be smooth on the side the faces the weather. Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking rolling the edges and joining them that way.
    Actually thought about ripping the seam and starting over. Hate to poke MORE holes in the sil though, so I'll likely just leave it... as hideous as it is.

On a positive note, the DIY hex tarp I made a few months ago was my first real hammocking project. I rolled the edges and it looks like my 7 year old did it. No, that's not fair. She would do better than I did.
    On the DIY Ogee tarp I used my Singer binding foot attachment to apply grosgrain to the entire periphery of the tarp. It looks much better than my rolled hem and adds some strength, I suspect. Was WAY quicker than roll hemming also. This tarp is 1.9 sil, so it is already on the heavy side. I may make a lighter one from 1.1 at some point and roll the edges for weight savings.
    So many options, so little skill... I mean time. So little time.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY &quot;WARBIRD&quot;
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Felt compelled to chime in today, as I spent a few hours last night working on a DIY Ogee tarp. To join one of the triangles to the body I used the rolled hem method I mentioned in the previous post. It may be the ugliest seam I've ever sewn. I'm concerned that it will cause water to pool around the seam and will have to seam seal the mess out of this sucker..
    In retrospect, a flat felled seam would have been easier, look WAY better, and be smooth on the side the faces the weather. Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking rolling the edges and joining them that way.
    Actually thought about ripping the seam and starting over. Hate to poke MORE holes in the sil though, so I'll likely just leave it... as hideous as it is.

So many options, so little skill... I mean time. So little time.
    Pics or it didn't happen is what i'v been told so we want to see the Good, the Bad and the ugly

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ &amp; TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by myles to go View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen is what i'v been told so we want to see the Good, the Bad and the ugly
    I was afraid someone might say that.
    I'll take pics next time I work in it... maybe be a couple of days. Can't stay up half the night making stuff every night.

• + New Posts