DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips

Confused about Fabric

In advance I apologize for my newbieness (is that even a word) and thank everyone for their answers. I am really excited about hammock camping and want to get going on the project before spring backpacking.

Today I went hunting for 1.9 ripstop nylon for hammocks- and all the fabric store employees I went to could not tell me if the nylon was 1.9 or not. There was no way to tell from the packaging. I am very frustrated as I found some multicam ripstop at Hancock Fabrics.

Is there a way to guess what type of ripstop it is? I have never held 1.9 or even 1.0 so I have no way to guess. Are there other fabrics that I could get locally, paying for shipping is not appealing to me right now.

My mother also has some 'unidentified fabric content' digital ACU fabric that feels like nylon. It is from Walmart and still has the $1.00 tag on it. She is a seamstress and collect fabric. What is the opinion of using an unknown type of fabric?

I have been searching the forums and keep running across double layer hammocks. Is this only done for weight carrying capacity or are there other reasons to make it a double layer? Mostly I would like to keep cost down as much as possible but still have a quality hammock.

I weight ~130 and my dog who will sleep with me is ~40lbs so total we are 170lbs
    My husband is around ~200 lbs

On a good note I found rope and webbing by the foot at Bass Pro Shops!

Once I get the fabric I will make a thread where I can post my progress and ask all kinds of newb questions!
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Krissa View Post
    I have been searching the forums and keep running across double layer hammocks. Is this only done for weight carrying capacity or are there other reasons to make it a double layer?
    Double layers are good for putting pads between the layers for insulation as well as increasing the capacity. At your weights a double layer 1.1 or single layer 1.9 should be fine. It's up to you.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Hancocks is almost all 1.9 if it isn't water proof. I have used it many times. If the WW stuff isn't waterproof, it is most likely 1.9. As long as it isn't waterproof it is fine for a hammock.

Jbo

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    PS. Be sure to trim your dog's nails.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Also, if you're paying regular price at Hancocks, you can get fabric of known weights from OWF for the same price even with shipping.

Jbo

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you can mail-order your fabric, I just ordered 1.1 Ripstop Nylon from Backwoods Daydreamer
    Very good prices, and I am extremely happy with the quality and lightweight material. Looks very close to what my Warbonnet Blackbird hammock is made from.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I am not a betting man,

but I would wager that the fabric store material is 1.9. That is about as generic a weight as you are going to find, and 1.1 is a bit too esoteric for Hancock's, JoAnne's etc.

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I second the mail-order option. Backwoods Daydreamer are excellent to deal with, very quick shipping and at least you know what you're getting. That being said, I have picked up Wally World material for smaller projects and to help cut my teeth on this whole new DIY world!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Krissa, you might do well to order some known weight fabrics from an online retailer, because it will help you recognize what you are shopping for in the future, and you will have a MUCH better selection of color and such. I doubt you will have much luck finding 1.1 at Hancock or Joanne.

You don't have to use nylon for a hammock, just make sure what you use is able to support your weight and is breathable, or you'll be sleeping in a puddle of sweat. Some folks have used polyester fabrics. Ripstop nylon is good for it's weight and, obviously, it resists tearing. It's possible to make a hammock from a bedsheet... I wouldn't, but it's possible... I'm just trying to say that nylon isn't the only option. But it's popular because it's a good option.

Good luck with your projects. Gear making is an addiction.
    ~Bryan

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I weigh 200 pounds and I use a single layer of 1.1 ounce ripstop nylon that I got from Backwoods Daydreamer. The service was great and the owner is a member here. That said, no matter what the weight of the fabric you found is, it will hold you at 130 pounds if it's nylon. Some people think that it stretches too much if they use too thin of a fabric makes for a hammock with too much stretch, though.

At any rate, I weigh a lot more than you and use a Single layer 1.1 ounce hammock, so no matter what the weight of fabric you found is, you should be fine.
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast