Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images

Webbing questions for ring buckles

Sorry if this has been done to death. I've been looking, but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I just set my hammock up with ring buckles last night. I ordered both polypro and polyester webbing from Strapworks, but couldn't wait for it to arrive, so bought some 1" tie-down straps from REI last night to play with. They're polypro and seem identical to my Speer webbing, which is rated at something like 700 pounds.

After playing around with the hammock in the house, the straps were slightly marked where the rings locked in. They looked a little shiny there. I know I'll be setting up at different places in the strap each night in the woods, but I'd feel better with something that's going to last ages.

The 1" polyester webbing on Strapworks is listed at 3,500 pounds. If it's what I'm thinking of, the surface is a little slicker, right? Does that slicker surface work as well with ring buckles? Last night I was using a bight in the end and had no problems at all.

How about the weight? I'm looking at probably two 12' lengths. A bit of extra weight for the extra durability is fine, but I don't want to go bananas.

Any other ring buckle tips out there or things to consider with polypro vs. polyester? I know I have to be sure to keep things in line. I think I heard something about dropping a hitch or something in behind them when tying. Am I remembering that right?

Thanks for the help. So far, I'm liking the buckle system.

Images
    I used the 3500 lbs. polyester with rings, and didn't get any marks on the webbing. The problem is two 12' lengths of that stuff weighs 13 oz.

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    Yikes, really? I was just reading another thread where someone mentioned the OWF webbing. I'd always thought that was polypro, but I see it's polyester. A lot of people seem to use that. Is it more comparable with Speer-type webbing in terms of weight? How about rating?

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    Cerberus, did the rings hold the webbing well?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yikes, really? I was just reading another thread where someone mentioned the OWF webbing. I'd always thought that was polypro, but I see it's polyester. A lot of people seem to use that. Is it more comparable with Speer-type webbing in terms of weight? How about rating?
    The OWF woodland green camo webbing 1" is basically identical to the Speer 1" in terms of weight. It is rated to 2000lbs. Really nice webbing.
    I know I beat this drum a lot here but I'd suggest picking up a pair of cinch buckles and see if you dont like them better than the rings. Many here have made the switch. http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.p...d=118&parent=4
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    Sold, I'll pick some up, thank you.

I tried to order the cinch buckles yesterday, but something was up with the site and I couldn't get to the cart. So, I cruised HF while I waited...

One of the reasons I wound up going with the rings (other than I already had some) was that Jeff switched from buckles to rings and seemed to like them better. Jeff's one of the few internet guys I trust

The rings appeal to me on some level, probably because they're so simple and universal. But my mind's not made up by any means. What do you like better about the buckles?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Sold, I'll pick some up, thank you.

I tried to order the cinch buckles yesterday, but something was up with the site and I couldn't get to the cart. So, I cruised HF while I waited...

One of the reasons I wound up going with the rings (other than I already had some) was that Jeff switched from buckles to rings and seemed to like them better. Jeff's one of the few internet guys I trust

The rings appeal to me on some level, probably because they're so simple and universal. But my mind's not made up by any means. What do you like better about the buckles?
    I used the rings for awhile and really liked them. AngrySparrow sent me a pair of cinch buckles to see if I liked them better and I did. Your not relying on a safety hitch to keep your butt off the ground like with the rings. The rings have the potential to come uneven and drop you also. Some have a little problem getting the cinch buckles loose if you tie the hammock real tight like most do in a Hennessy, but it is no big deal. A main reason Just Jeff switched to the rings was that when he was using the Crazy Creek buckles (no longer available) he had two extra small pieces of webbing to keep track of. He later did away with these extra pieces. I think he's now going to the garda hitch method. Could be wrong.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 12-28-2007 at 17:52.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Cerberus, did the rings hold the webbing well?
    Still had to use the slipknot. I think that's standard with the rings no matter what webbing you use.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, i use a slip knot against the rings. it has no chance of slipping w/ that in place, & one jerk unties the slip knot.

i used the cinch buckles for a while (nightly in my bed room) & my concern was that they put all the force in a small, sharp bend.
    the webbing in the bend became extremely soft & a little fuzzy.

grant it, i was using a cheap 1" webbing from wal-mart, but it made me think about long term. if a person was using a highly rated webbing, that may not be a legitimate concern, but that's just the impression i was left with.

on the other hand, using the ring buckles, the webbing goes around a some what larger, rounded surface.

right now i'm using the speer webbing but i may try some of the OWF pollyester that's about the same weight but rated stronger.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    The slip knot is putting a bight through instead of just the single end or do you mean a separate knot tied in the webbing?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast