Sorry if this has been done to death. I've been looking, but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I just set my hammock up with ring buckles last night. I ordered both polypro and polyester webbing from Strapworks, but couldn't wait for it to arrive, so bought some 1" tie-down straps from REI last night to play with. They're polypro and seem identical to my Speer webbing, which is rated at something like 700 pounds.

After playing around with the hammock in the house, the straps were slightly marked where the rings locked in. They looked a little shiny there. I know I'll be setting up at different places in the strap each night in the woods, but I'd feel better with something that's going to last ages.

The 1" polyester webbing on Strapworks is listed at 3,500 pounds. If it's what I'm thinking of, the surface is a little slicker, right? Does that slicker surface work as well with ring buckles? Last night I was using a bight in the end and had no problems at all.

How about the weight? I'm looking at probably two 12' lengths. A bit of extra weight for the extra durability is fine, but I don't want to go bananas.

Any other ring buckle tips out there or things to consider with polypro vs. polyester? I know I have to be sure to keep things in line. I think I heard something about dropping a hitch or something in behind them when tying. Am I remembering that right?

Thanks for the help. So far, I'm liking the buckle system.