Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor or Etowah
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

My cozy Claytor @ 15°

Being a bit of a Hammock newb myself (and a cheap one at that). I thought I'd show my weekend accommodations for critique or education depending on what your experience may be.
    All in all I had a very warm hang at 15°, my lowest.

For a lack of underquilt I used a thick Sheepskin for a pad.

And I stuffed one Synthetic Slumberjack mummy inside another bag.

Then I used a poncho liner Over my spreaderbars to create a little "micro-climate"

Then I got to use my new Christmas gift of a 10x12 Etowah tarp to keep the wind away.

Overall, I was rather comfortable. Friday night I tried just the bags without the sheepskin, and it took less than an hour to know I needed it.
    I know a good underquilt could keep me warmer, but it's just not in the budget this year.
    It sure is quiet at night in the winter (once the ice fishermen go home).
    Last edited by mcgyver; 01-17-2011 at 12:12.

I like the pillow too! That setup would be great for backyard or car camping. Be kinda tough to carry on your back, tho.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor or Etowah
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yeah I like the pillow too! It's one of those compressible ones that packs down to size of a softball.
    Overall, the Sheepskin is too heavy for packing on my back, but in the snow, I'm usually car camping or pulling a sled so it's not a bad trade off.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Good job McGyver. Should be ready for that Feb. hang now. Do what ya gotta do to get out. That is all that matters. I am going to try a hang Friday night, predicted low about 0. Should be interesting.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor or Etowah
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Good job McGyver. Should be ready for that Feb. hang now. Do what ya gotta do to get out. That is all that matters. I am going to try a hang Friday night, predicted low about 0. Should be interesting.
    Thanks Man
    Best of luck to ya this weekend!! I'm sure your prepared.
    I may try a night out as well, but on the ground , it is the gear I already have.
    You know I've already marked my calender for Feb.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    YETI & JRB quilts
    Suspension
    straps and buckle.
    looks very comfortable. nice job. chilly

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I have a Claytor question for you: Given the relatively short length and narrow width (9'9" long and 4' wide) I have always wondered how/ if you could lay on a diagonal in the JH. Based on your pics it looks like you lay down the center of the hammock length. Does the rise of the hammock towards the ends (particularly the foot end) create any comfort issues? It looks like it would cause hyperextension of the knees. I almost bought a Claytor a number of times just to check it out but have never taken the plunge. Given the number of loyal JH hangers you must be comfortable but the "banana" shape of the lay makes me wonder...

PS: not trying to hijack your thread!

PSS: That Fleece looks way warm for a cold night!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Dave, when hanging in my JH, my feet invariably end up in the net. That's not necessarily a bad thing... if I used it more, I would add some ripstop, and just turn it into a foot box.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor or Etowah
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Dave,
    I do lay pretty much down the center line, but I don't sleep with both legs straight.
    I usually have one leg slightly bent under the other. It put's a knee in the net, but it actually may cure the Hyper extension you refer too.
    Strange thing, you would expect that a "Banana" shape would make it difficult, but I sleep rather well on my side.
    Again, I just got into this hanging addiction this year, and the Claytor is my second hammock. It was my choice for multiple reasons, but a diagonal lay was not one of them.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I sleep on my left side in a fetal position in my JH. I am 6'2" and 250 lbs. Works great for me, I love it. Gonna try to take it super cold this weekend. It is hanging in my woods now. Gonna take a couple of warm bottles to bed for sure.

I also really like the diamond tarp that came with it. I can be real stealth with my set up. Though I am gonna get an Ogee in the near future, just want to see if I can get Gargoyle to find some camo for me.

mcgyver, I like that poncho over the top. I used my summer topquilt with two layers of IX over top and wow, what a difference. That microclimate of a cover really helps.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts