Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web

Answering some questions about a JRB Mount Washington 3 Convertible.

I received a visitor post, from kobold, asking me about my Jacks'-R-Better (JRB) Mount Washington 3 Convertible (MW3C) quilt. I've decided to answer it in a new thread so Kobold, as well as other members,can benefit from other people opinions. Here's the original post;
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobold
    hi beast, i am also looking at the mw3c & saw it works great for you. i need a quilt which fits both the wbbb & a hh survivor bottom entrance.
    what do you think about the jrb suspension system? do you need to make adjustments to it after you lie down in the hammock or do you set it up while outside and it's bombproof after that? no zips on the hh!

but what i really need is your experience re the hennessy (even though i don't know if you have ever used one :-)

i reckon they would work together in 2/3 mode... but in full mode, do u think it would be possible to reconnect the two mw3c parts from inside the hammock? how do the two parts connect? if it's velcro or zip is it possible to loosely hang the two parts on the hammock, climb in through the bottom slit and then connect the two parts from inside so it neatly hugs the hammock?

we are planning a 10-day push bike tour in tasmania with 50F/10C night temps. i would only pack the 2/3 part of the mw3c, but last time there was strong wind and rain. do you use extra leg insulation in 2/3 mode in similar conditions?

i have the hh ss. i like it, but not the oc pad. did you try to combine the mw3c w/ a similar non-breathable weather-shield for wind chill and rain protection?
    My answers;
    what do you think about the jrb suspension system
    It works very well, but I do add another shock cord from the grograin loops that are 1/3/ and 2/3 the way up the quilt up and over the ridgeline to help hold up against the hammock.
    do you need to make adjustments to it after you lie down in the hammock or do you set it up while outside and it's bombproof after that?
    It takes some fussing to get the suspension right the first time, but once it's right it's just left on the hammock and further adjustment shouldn't be necessary
    but what i really need is your experience re the hennessy (even though i don't know if you have ever used one :-)
    I've never used a Hennessy Hammock.
    i reckon they would work together in 2/3 mode... but in full mode, do u think it would be possible to reconnect the two mw3c parts from inside the hammock?
    I think it would be tough for me but I'm not too nimble.
    how do the two parts connect? if it's velcro or zip is it possible to loosely hang the two parts on the hammock, climb in through the bottom slit and then connect the two parts from inside so it neatly hugs the hammock?
    It's connected by omni tape (like velcro) again I think it would be tough for me but I'm not too nimble.
    we are planning a 10-day push bike tour in tasmania with 50F/10C night temps. i would only pack the 2/3 part of the mw3c, but last time there was strong wind and rain. do you use extra leg insulation in 2/3 mode in similar conditions?
    If I think that I'll need the extra insulation I just bring the whole thing. One trip it got colder than expected so I used my sit pad and some clothes with the under quilt in 2/3 mode and it worked well.
    i have the hh ss. i like it, but not the oc pad. did you try to combine the mw3c w/ a similar non-breathable weather-shield for wind chill and rain protection?
    I'm pretty sweaty so I don't use a weather shield. If I expect wet stormy conditions I bring a larger tarp.
    Last edited by Beast 71; 01-17-2011 at 21:02.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    YETI & JRB quilts
    Suspension
    straps and buckle.
    When you say you add another shock cord are you talking about the ends of the quilt or to pull up the center? thanks, chilly

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I really love my MW3C UQ and it works very well on my Warbonnet Blackbird. The only problem I've had is that sometimes the uq falls of of the foot-box.I think it would be easy to remedy with a cord up to the ridge-line or a mitten hook sewn on the hammock body but, the problem is so infrequent I haven't done anything about it yet. I'm considering making a hammock without a bug-net for winter use to make adjusting, or putting the UQ back on, easier from inside the hammock.

I'm not sure about how the UQ would work with the stock Hennessey bottom entry but I'm guessing that it would be a pain. You may want to consider a zipper mod to your hammock or getting a different JRB UQ designed for use with the Hennessey slit.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by chillyhiker View Post
    When you say you add another shock cord are you talking about the ends of the quilt or to pull up the center? thanks, chilly
    It is the end of the UQ when it's in the 2/3rds mode but it winds up being 1/3rd of the way up from the bottom in full mode From there I go up and over the ridgeline and I connect to a grograin loop that is 2/3rds the way up from the bottom and on the otherside of the UQ. Does that make sense , if not, say so and I'll try to post a picture later

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    thank you beast for all the answers, i asked the same questions from jack tier and he was also quick to reply, so to augment the info here, here is his answer detailing the hennessy usage:

----- snip -----

As noted it will excel on the WBBB, either as a 7/11th or full size with the
    compliment attached.

With the HH it will also work very well in either mode...When a 7/77 the
    slit is exposed so no problem, as routine for fractional length quilts use a
    pad for the legs.

The two sections are easily joined by omni tape...It is done before the uq
    is attached to the hammock... It is not practical to join the sections from
    inside the hammock.

It is an attach and get it right, very easy, once, then set for a long
    time...As you say, "bombproof"

To enter the HH simply walk up to the foot end from the right, with left
    hand gently push the UQ down and to the left, enter normally, the UQ will
    snap in place automatically...Exit by reverse.

----- snip -----

with all the available info it can be said that i am a happy camper. i just ordered my mw3c. thanks again! i'll try your mod

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kobold View Post
    thank you beast for all the answers, i asked the same questions from jack tier and he was also quick to reply, so to augment the info here, here is his answer detailing the hennessy usage:

----- snip -----

As noted it will excel on the WBBB, either as a 7/11th or full size with the
    compliment attached.

With the HH it will also work very well in either mode...When a 7/77 the
    slit is exposed so no problem, as routine for fractional length quilts use a
    pad for the legs.

The two sections are easily joined by omni tape...It is done before the uq
    is attached to the hammock... It is not practical to join the sections from
    inside the hammock.

It is an attach and get it right, very easy, once, then set for a long
    time...As you say, "bombproof"

To enter the HH simply walk up to the foot end from the right, with left
    hand gently push the UQ down and to the left, enter normally, the UQ will
    snap in place automatically...Exit by reverse.

----- snip -----

with all the available info it can be said that i am a happy camper. i just ordered my mw3c. thanks again! i'll try your mod
    Great minds work alike...My old one is just slower...

I was just clipping that email to add it to the thread...Glad I saw your post of the same.

One note to add...

Beast's use of an elastic to keep the diagonal alignment on the WBBB is a common fix...It is not one that I'm personally fond of because with time it will wear or stresss the bugnet between the friction of the ridgeline and the elastic...And the more one moves in the hammock the faster wear will appear...

Alternatively, reflect on the difference of the WBBB and the HH... Because of the HH patent the WBBB has an ENO type bottom and the tie outs are on the bugnet above, if in use...Thus there are no WBBB tieouts to attach the JRB ladder loops, as in the case of the HH asyms....Far better, IMHO, to add large buttons to the edge seam of the WBBB at the points that correspond to the right knee and left shoulder side ladder loops of a JRB UQ...Wholla, perfect HH style alignment...Never any further adjustment necessary...

We all can sew on buttons, right?

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    I really love my MW3C UQ and it works very well on my Warbonnet Blackbird. The only problem I've had is that sometimes the uq falls of of the foot-box.I think it would be easy to remedy with a cord up to the ridge-line or a mitten hook sewn on the hammock body but, the problem is so infrequent I haven't done anything about it yet. I'm considering making a hammock without a bug-net for winter use to make adjusting, or putting the UQ back on, easier from inside the hammock.

I'm not sure about how the UQ would work with the stock Hennessey bottom entry but I'm guessing that it would be a pain. You may want to consider a zipper mod to your hammock or getting a different JRB UQ designed for use with the Hennessey slit.
    that's what makes this community great! i have no hanging experience so i almost went for the nest, but i really wanted the versatility of the mw3c and it turns out it's doable! i am converted from tents to hammocks and my wife will be also soon ;-) black and mozzie net is a must for her, so i figured the wbbb & yeti will be goth enough.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Great minds work alike...My old one is just slower...

I was just clipping that email to add it to the thread...Glad I saw your post of the same.

One note to add...

Beast's use of an elastic to keep the diagonal alignment on the WBBB is a common fix...It is not one that I'm personally fond of because with time it will wear or stresss the bugnet between the friction of the ridgeline and the elastic...And the more one moves in the hammock the faster wear will appear...

Alternatively, reflect on the difference of the WBBB and the HH... Because of the HH patent the WBBB has an ENO type bottom and the tie outs are on the bugnet above, if in use...Thus there are no WBBB tieouts to attach the JRB ladder loops, as in the case of the HH asyms....Far better, IMHO, to add large buttons to the edge seam of the WBBB at the points that correspond to the right knee and left shoulder side ladder loops of a JRB UQ...Wholla, perfect HH style alignment...Never any further adjustment necessary...

We all can sew on buttons, right?

Pan
    wow, actually i was about to shot back a fyi email to you about this thread
    i'll keep the buttons on mind when tinkering...

• + New Posts