Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images

newbie olddog, questions

Just pinned the long sides of 4 yds. of poly. Used some markings along the selvage and came up with 1/2" hems. Will this be adequate? Half way thru pinning my wife of 38 years walked by and said " You should wash that fabric first" I said "It's not dirty" Still getting that look, you know the one! Also, double straight stitches for each hem or will a single be enough? Thanks for your help

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    I used single stitches on my rolled hems.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Under normal circumstances your wife is correct. It is advisable to wash fabric before working on it. Two reasons for this but only one applies to your project. Reason 1- There are treatments (sizing and other chemicals) that are put on the fabric which can affect the flexibility of the fabric. They can also be somewhat irritating to some folks skin. Therefore, it is best to wash the treatments out. Reason 2- When using natural fabrics a pre-wash and pre-shrink the fabric. That way you are making the item the size you want it and you don't have to worry about it shrinking later. This is not an issue with synthetic fabrics as they do not usually shrink.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Just pinned the long sides of 4 yds. of poly. Used some markings along the selvage and came up with 1/2" hems. Will this be adequate? Half way thru pinning my wife of 38 years walked by and said " You should wash that fabric first" I said "It's not dirty" Still getting that look, you know the one! Also, double straight stitches for each hem or will a single be enough? Thanks for your help
    What are you making??

With "normal" fabrics, I always wash first then cut and sew. But with ripstop nylon, I never do. Most of the ripstop I use is DWR coated, I really don't want to do anything that will weaken that coating.

Your 1/2" hems being wide enough will depend on what you're making, especially if you're leaving the selvage on. With some materials, the selvage will have tiny holes all through it or it's sewn tighter and usually needs to be removed.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Your 1/2" hems being wide enough will depend on what you're making, especially if you're leaving the selvage on. With some materials, the selvage will have tiny holes all through it or it's sewn tighter and usually needs to be removed.

TinaLouise
    There are differing opinions regarding leaving the selvage on or taking it off. When I am using the full panel such as a hammock, I either leave the selvage as it is or roll it into the hem as you did. When I am cutting patterns the question is usually moot as the cutting often removes the selvage anyway.

I have never had a problem washing DWR coatings but since I usually use them for items that will not shrink or will not touch my pody directly I don't usually worry about it and just leave the fabric as is.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    There are differing opinions regarding leaving the selvage on or taking it off. When I am using the full panel such as a hammock, I either leave the selvage as it is or roll it into the hem as you did. When I am cutting patterns the question is usually moot as the cutting often removes the selvage anyway.
    I have noticed that the 1.9 ripstop from Joanne runs about 58" wide - and the selvage runs about 1 - 2 inches into the fabric (including the holes). What is your recommendation if an 1/2", even an rolled hem shows the pin hole still?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have not worked with that fabric so I am not sure what I would do. Again, it depends to a large degree what I was making. I generally double roll my hems to prevent fraying of the fabric. I f the looks are not obstacle I would think the remaining selvage showing would not be a probem. But I am not a desgner so I can not say for sure.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Thanks for the info everyone. Being that the fabric is poly I won't pull the pins and wash,this is an experiment. Starting out with 12'x5' hemmed on 4 sides. Will try various lengths from 12' to 10' at 6" increments. Retired telephone man so have plenty of cable ties to play with. Pulled my wife's thread injector out of storage, after 5 years needs some oils. Hopefully it still works. Thanks again, olddog.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    TinaLouise,just looked back at your question. Hammock then tarp then bug net then uq then etc

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Injector cleaned, oiled & working. Four hems finished, 1/2" wide with single row of stitches. Experimenting now with gathering styles; fold,W,rolled,etc. Also will be trying various lengths from 12' to 10'. Using mule tape for temporary suspension. Only one hang yesterday.Hanging it low just in case. Don,t want to hurt the old dog. Raining today so no more testing.

• + New Posts