Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Packing with Snakeskins?

Hello forum,

Today, I got my HH in the mail. I have the "expedition" model. I quickly set it up and took it back down. I wrapped everything up in my snakeskins and i found that is was really awkward to pack away. When i first recieved it, the hammock was nicely rolled up, as was the rain fly (they were seperate). Now with the rain fly in the snakeskins as well, i couldnt seem to get a good way of packing it up. I ended up folding it in half until it was a reasonable size and then i wrapped the webbing around it. It was still pretty bulky in the bag it came with.

So forum, how do you pack away your HH? Do you even use the snakeskins at all? I have seen people use the snakeskins JUST for the rain fly, and others JUST for the hammock itself. Thanks in advance for all of the replies.
    Last edited by TheTorch; 01-17-2011 at 22:53. Reason: Zombie Appocalypse

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    I start on one end and roll it up like a cinnamon roll. I have the Explorer Deluxe with the Supershelter. I however, have the larger Hex fly and made a separate stuff sack for it. I pull the SS over my hammock with the SS attached(less the pad). I have the large skins to accommodate the bulk. It fits in the sack the hammock came in. It's about 3" thick and 10" in diameter. I keep it at the bottom of my pack. It's my understanding that the hammock and the stock fly will fit easily. I'm not sure how they will fit along with the SS though. Bottom line, you should be able to roll it up in a coil to get it to fit. Hope I didn't confuse you too much. If need be, I could snap some photos and show you how i did mine.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe *zipppppp*
    Tarp
    HHHex w/2QZQ Doors
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Straps,Biner,Rings
    Hey, I have the explorer deluxe, the hex fly and the super shelter (less the ocf pad) in my #4 snake skins. This all fits in the skins with minimal effort. I find the snake skins do a fine job protecting the works on trips, and don't bother with the HH stuff sack.
    Stevicide

Hammock
    Tarp
    HHHex w/2QZQ Doors
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Straps,Biner,Rings
    In addition, the nice thing about using the snake skins with the fly already on the hammock is that if you ever have to set up you hammock while its raining..., the snake skins keep the hammock dry till it's hung, and as soon as you pull back the skins, the fly does it's thing...

Add ocf pad and sleeping bag and you're good to go!
    Stevicide

Quote Originally Posted by Stevicide View Post
    In addition, the nice thing about using the snake skins with the fly already on the hammock is that if you ever have to set up you hammock while its raining..., the snake skins keep the hammock dry till it's hung, and as soon as you pull back the skins, the fly does it's thing...

Add ocf pad and sleeping bag and you're good to go!
    Thanks for all the advise. i noticed you said OCF (open cell foam). All i have heard of while browsing this forum is CCF (closed cell foam). Is one better then the other? Is inflatable an option as well?

Images
    i never put my tarp in snake skins. that being said, i pt my down booties in pack. soles down and then throw the hammock in.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I use the snakeskins for my hex fly and use a double-ended stuff sack for my hammock. The reason for not using one set of snakeskins for your hammock and tarp is that when your tarp is wet you don't wanna be packing your hammock in with it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HHHex w/2QZQ Doors
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Straps,Biner,Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTorch View Post
    Thanks for all the advise. i noticed you said OCF (open cell foam). All i have heard of while browsing this forum is CCF (closed cell foam). Is one better then the other? Is inflatable an option as well?
    Hey, I think many will agree that one isn't better than the other, they just have to be used differently. The pad that comes with the SuperShelter is an OCF pad, and those blue pads from wallmart are closed cell foam.

The main difference in functionality is as follows:

OCF: Very light and compressible...if compressed under your weight while in use it will effectively loose most or all of its thermal insulation value.
    CCF: Heaver but less compressible,

So...if you are going to be putting your weight on the pad, stick with CCF (such as pad in hammock). The OCF works in the SS because it is suspended below the hammock and not compressed by the weight of the occupant.

The inflatable pads (thermarests) are also an option that a few of the guys I hang with use regularly, even down below 0*C. Thermarests are OCF pads within the inflatable shell. Having them at least partially inflated will prevent compression of the pad, thus maintaining some or most of the thermal insulation value. The main disadvantages to Thermarests in a hammock is that they are quite challenging to say on top of while sleeping because they remain so rigid when inflated...and ..if even the smallest part of your body does fall off the pad at night, you may wake up to a frozen appendage.

Add Thermarest inside the Super Shelter Under Cover you ask??? I think some here have tried that... I haven't though so I have no idea. It would be interesting if someone who has tied this could post how successful this is or is not.
    Stevicide

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    I love Snakeskins and have put them on all my tarps(4) and both the HH and WB Blackbird hammocks. But, I use separate skins for each. This allows flexibility to mix and match, but more importantly, I never have to pack a wet tarp with the hammock. I can carry the tarp on the outside of the pack so that it's ready to set up on a moments notice.

Not all who wander are lost.

never thought to use them with tarps. good idea

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast