Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

SHUG'STER ... THANK YOU for linking me past the PRC so I could watch the video this morning!!! LOVED IT! Fun seeing you on the big boy uni!

You ... as always pal ... are da man! BIG OLD THUMBS UP!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    You are a true gem Shug! You have taken a otherwise dreary day and brightened it up. Thanks!
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Great video as always. I have an old Wiggins bag that my son had for a Boy Scout trip that might make a good pod. However, I'm sure it would not fit around my bridge. Still fun to watch and enjoy your work.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lattie11581 View Post
    I can't wait to get home and pull up yer video Shug... always waiting with anticipation for your next piece work to pop up on YouTube! !

Quote Originally Posted by HobieCat View Post
    You know I opened the video thinking "ehhh I just want to see the peapod experiment, not real excited about the other stuff"...... BOY WAS I WRONG!! Man, that was seriously entertaining!! You've got some real talent!!
    Story of my life!!!!! 'Preciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Looking good Shug

I tried the same thing with an old bag a few years ago but it was just too tight around the leg end and didn't really work too well. Now that looks like a good sized bag and it doesn't look too tight, I think you're onto a winner there my friend.

Ooh you have lots of yellow snow, that's the bad stuff, don't eat it or boil it
    That bag is a wider mummy cut. We will see how it works out.... that snow did look yellow from the lights!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Perhaps this will inspire some of our cottage gear makers into producing a new product. I like idea of a zipper on top for the closure in this type of system like the wiggy bag fourdog had at the hang.
    I can't believe I am podding ....always avoided it.

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    Dang Shug a twofer! I rate it...

With the pea pod I wonder if it would limit asym lay?
    I seemed a bit off the diagonal but it was OK.......

Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Par excellence, Master Shug! As usual a mix of useful information, ideas and entertainment.
    Agree with pizza. Would like to see a Pod with a zipper. Had a Speer PP and eventually sold it, in part because that long length of velcro drove me crazy.
    I may add a zipper insert like Fourdog mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by fourdog View Post
    If the pod system xtra long and 36" wide not a problem
    I have one and don't like the fiddle factor with the velcro. I already over stuffed it with down. Will add a three way zipper and a zipper baffel to make a
    realy good system great.
    (I always change every thing I get).
    fourdog
    www.fourdog.com
    Three way zipper would be the perfect world.

Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    When the video started I was looking around the sides and top just waiting for you to jump in the frame. Then when you popped out of the pea pod I almost spilled my cocoa I was laughing so hard. Great video as always. I especially liked watching you practice your gift. Keep em comin' Mr. Shug.
    Fronkey
    It was so nice hiding in there!!!!
    Thanks on the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by AScott View Post
    Great video, Shug. I've been looking at a pod system to try for next year (when I am more comfortable with hammock camping). This gives me another boost in that direction.
    And once again, love the extra stuff. I hope my family can catch your performance at the State Fair next summer. My kids love the videos of your talent.
    Certainly fun to goof with. Just gotta be trying something old and new at the same time.
    I'll be there at the Fair.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation View Post
    Great video!
    I was also wondering whether or not the pod effected your ability to lay Asym.
    Thanks for keeping it exciting!
    SN (aka Duane)
    I was not a asym .... but it was not bad. Tell ya' more after a whole night.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Looking forward to catching this video next week pal ... and for the record ... you're not a weirdo ... you just "ain't right" ... and where us Gorge Rats are concerned ... that's a badge of honor!
    I ain't....and I am!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cogola View Post
    Well for practice it's mighty entertaining. If you're ever stuck for video material more 'practice' would keep us Shugaholics going.
    Was not gonna put it on .... but my showman/show-off side ruled out!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I actually like the Pod's Velcro. I Velcro closed on the ends, get in, lay straight, pull real tight and touch together on one end, then the other. Then close up the final area near my head and get diagonal. It is all real quick ( after lots of practice), and no zipper to hang up. And best of all, I can be out of that thing in a millisecond.

But, the wider the hammock and the more stuff (quilts) you put in there with you, the harder it is to manage the Velcro and get it closed and keep it closed. (And heaven knows you guys had enough stuff in there!) For example, with a Warbonnet blackbird, because of the netting and shelf area, it can be a real booger bear to get it closed. Not easy even before you start adding very much extra insulation. But very easy to close using the narrow Claytor no net hammock, even after you start adding some stuff in there. And I've often thought a couple of snaps installed a couple of feet in from the ends would be real handy in keeping it closed in the area where you don't really ever need it to be open. That way only the middle would be open as you got in and out.
    I know you are a huge Pod Proponent ...... now I am tripping down Pod Place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    SHUG'STER ... THANK YOU for linking me past the PRC so I could watch the video this morning!!! LOVED IT! Fun seeing you on the big boy uni!
    You ... as always pal ... are da man! BIG OLD THUMBS UP!
    I know it kills ya' to not see all the videos over there...... happy to hook you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    You are a true gem Shug! You have taken a otherwise dreary day and brightened it up. Thanks!
    Best comment of all!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    Great video as always. I have an old Wiggins bag that my son had for a Boy Scout trip that might make a good pod. However, I'm sure it would not fit around my bridge. Still fun to watch and enjoy your work.
    The BridgePod ....... there is a project!!!!!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    I have considered making a zip in spacer to add width to the bag...
    I'm going to try something like that this weekend at Mt Rogers... I'll use my Speer Hammock Bugnet to add a 20" wide closure over the Snugfit, making it a Pod-of-Sorts. The Bugnet will close things up a little, and keep the Speer Top Blanket snug on top of me.

I could even tack another Speer Top Blanket on top of the Bugnet!

Shug, I'm impressed that you can spin a ball and balance it on a stick in your mouth... but on that rolling board! You're nuts!
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 01-18-2011 at 18:45.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I know you are a huge Pod Proponent ...... now I am tripping down Pod Place.
    That I am! Pod Place is a beautiful neighborhood. With the Speer version, I am particularly fond of the head/neck/shoulder protection. I can often get by without even a hat, depending on temps of course. However, I am also a huge bridge proponent. So....... conflict!

The BridgePod ....... there is a project!!!!!
    Sure is. But I must admit, if I can't have a pod, the custom fit and beyond head to toe coverage obtained with the custom fit of a JRB MW4 on a JRB bridge is mighty sweet. In fact, I have been hanging a bit over the last 2 days in just that combo. It shares with the pod approach ( but for bottom coverage only of course) an impossibility of moving onto an uninsulated area.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I'm going to try something like that this weekend at Mt Rogers... I'll use my Speer Hammock Bugnet to add a 20" wide closure over the Snugfit, making it a Pod-of-Sorts. The Bugnet will close things up a little, and keep the Speer Top Blanket snug on top of me.

I could even tack another Speer Top Blanket on top of the Bugnet!

Shug, I'm impressed that you can spin a ball and balance it on a stick in your mouth... but on that rolling board! You're nuts!
    Please video that!!!!
    Thanks MacEntyre.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That I am! Pod Place is a beautiful neighborhood. With the Speer version, I am particularly fond of the head/neck/shoulder protection. I can often get by without even a hat, depending on temps of course. However, I am also a huge bridge proponent. So....... conflict!
    Sure is. But I must admit, if I can't have a pod, the custom fit and beyond head to toe coverage obtained with the custom fit of a JRB MW4 on a JRB bridge is mighty sweet. In fact, I have been hanging a bit over the last 2 days in just that combo. It shares with the pod approach ( but for bottom coverage only of course) an impossibility of moving onto an uninsulated area.
    I will try and keep the neighborhood wonderful. Thanks for the info.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Thumbs up Night in Pod at 1º.....

Just up and in and on the coffee.....
    Got down to 1º last night. I crawled in around 10:45. I was wearing 2 pair of socks...an REI merino pair and a thicker traditional wool pair. Polypro johns and a thin pair of fleece tights. A poly shirt, thin fleece shirt, a sport fleece orange shirt and my MontBell inner down vest with half sleeve. A balaclava, BlackRock hat and a down hood.

Very happy ..... no cold butt what so ever!!!! Had very minimal condensation on the pod and none on the HG summer insert. The fleece frost-bib caught it all.

When I rose to write my name in the snow I was almost too hot. Should have taken off the fleece pants. A touch of frost in the pod right over my thighs as I was sweating a bit.

Feet started getting a bit chilly this morn around 6AM ....I pulled my down jacket over them and all was good. From now on I will add back my small Thermarest sit pad into my TQ footbox.

I was comfy .... not quite on my usual asym lay and did not feel restricted.
    I am very happy with the warm buttocks!!!!!!

Shug the Snug

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I think we may have an convert !
    Thanks for the review.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Great report, Shug! You are fortunate to have those temps right there in your backyard for testing.

I'm keen on avoiding overheating, and that's probably why I rarely get any condensation, other than from breathing. I under dress my torso, and over dress my legs and feet.

You don't have to sacrifice the asym lie completely with a Pod. As your video showed, you end up sleeping like Thomas Jefferson, bent at the waist but each half flat.

Thing1 and I are anxious for the next 48 hours to be past, so we can put on our snowshoes and pull our pulk full of pods down the path and into the piney woods at Mt Rogers!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast