DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Begging seemstress. That was supposed to be Beggining, sigh. OH well

I made my first Whoopie Sling last night. Actually first two. I followed some directions, "Gotta use Twice as much material as your final length?" Well alright. Didn't taper my end right so it took a bit to get the head of the rope through and in minutes, Walla, Ridgeline Whoopie sling. But why do I have to have so much material. Silly boy, ADD double the amount of line that you want to be adjustable to the base,static length. Well, at least they come apart as fast as they go together.

So I got a ridgeline on my Hammock, but I went from being 'Bass String Tight' to just floppy and didn't notice much difference in my lie. The sides of my hammock are kinda floppy. That may be just in the way I've gathered at the end. I'm using that string in the channel gather, maybe I need to change that. Oh well, only had time to make the one Whoopy and then it was out to shovel a foot of snow, help a stuck car, shovel a little more and finally give in. Got up and shoveled another couple of inches this morning. If I bought a snow blower I wouldn't have to worry about this stuff, it wouldn't snow TILL the snow blower died of old age.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Probably too late for this; but Hancock/joanns used to have a folding cardboard cutting surface, printed with grid lines and handy measurements; great for turning floor/bed/table into a cutting area while protecting furniture form scissors- keep an eye out for one..
    of course if all else fails you can always snap a chalk line to cut along...
    KM (who frequently has to improvise a cutting area)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Wife used to have one when we got married. Not sure when it died. It's only been 27 years.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    So I got a ridgeline on my Hammock, but I went from being 'Bass String Tight' to just floppy and didn't notice much difference in my lie. The sides of my hammock are kinda floppy. That may be just in the way I've gathered at the end. I'm using that string in the channel gather, maybe I need to change that. Oh well, only had time to make the one Whoopy and then it was out to shovel a foot of snow, help a stuck car, shovel a little more and finally give in. Got up and shoveled another couple of inches this morning. If I bought a snow blower I wouldn't have to worry about this stuff, it wouldn't snow TILL the snow blower died of old age.
    Whipping method changes the floppy side issue a lot. personally, I prefer floppy sides because it means I can get further out on the diagonal.

If you go away from the string channel method as described in Knotty's sticky, you can tighten up the sides as much as you want, just before you whip the ends (wrap it in cord) you pull the edges out an inch or so. I do this for my kids, so the hammock is more a bath-tub shape and less likely for them to get dumped out.

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I thought it might be the method as I had read of the pulling the edges out method in Ed's book. I just hadn't seen many examples of the floppy sides in pictures. Now that I know it's normal I'll ponder swapping to tucked and whipped. This is my learning hammock anyways, may just leave it and instead try pulling the edges on my queen sheet hammock. That way I can practice whipping as well. I didn't sleep in it last night. I was up too late shoveling and had to get up too early to do more of the same. And I didn't want to find out that I could lay in it a way that would leave me walking like a crab. I'll nap in it this weekend first, and work up from there. Need to make at least one whoopy sling end for it. If I have enough I'll make two. Guess I screwed up only getting 25 feet from Arrowhead supply. But before I start working on the next one I'm hoping the group buy will get finalized.

Ahhhh, I've had too little sleep. Too much shoveling. Two long of a walk on the treadmill at a little too steep a climb. And 3 hours of grocery and Sam's shopping along with a Best Buy stop to drop off my daughters PC. Shower and bed early.

Happy Friday Eve folks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Redid the gathers tonight pulling the ends out per speers/just jeff and then whipping. Changed end ropes to 7/64 Amsteel whoopies. Now, I can't get my legs under me to get out of the darn thing BUT the floppy edges are gone. Just feels like two bands there keeping me inside the tarp.

It does store small though.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Another day, another whipping. Never one to do anything reasonable but either way too little or way too much, I decided that I must have pulled he ends out too much before whipping last night. This morning I re-whipped only pulling the last few inches about an inch farther then the rest. Last night, I had what felt like two ropes on the edges of my hammock, now, its floppy again. The ropes are gone though and it makes getting out much easier. I couldn't sit on the hammock couch style either because the rope would be under my knees and the rest of me would be down a good foot. It was like getting down in a crouch and having someone support your backside, then lift under the knees just enough that your feet would slip on the carpet. Hard to get out that way. There is a happy medium in there somewhere, and I'll have to find it somewhere.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Slept in it from 9ish to 1. Got up to use the restroom and my youngest beagle was looking at me dejectedly. So I stowed the hammock and started the pump on the air bed and went to the bathroom. Got back for a final tuck on the mattress, didn't beat my beagle under the covers and spent the rest of the night snuggled in tight. Gonna have to see about folding him up a bed, he's too nervous to get in the hammock with me, and too heavy too, I'm sure he'd end up on top of me and that's 35 pounds I don't need on my gut.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12