Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images

Climashield XP vs. Primaloft, Quilt advice

I'm considering making a new synthetic top quilt and UQ sleep system. I have found some technical data on the Climashield XP such that it weighs 5.5oz per a linear yard, It has a loft of 1.3 inches and a CLO of .82 and other info such that you roast in a quilt of two layers in the 20's wearing almost nothing. I don't know what CLO is but I'm guessing it's on a scale of .00 - 1.00 and the .82 is a really good thing but who knows I don't even know what CLO means.

While searching for making this quilt I came across a lot of MYOG quilts and bags using Primaloft, most likely because it's good stuff. So I went to there site and to my surprise they give no technical data on there product, that's just Great! So does anyone know how this stuff compares to the climashield?

If it compriable I might use it as to my surprise the company that makes it is also a U.S. company and it is only about an hour from my house in Albany, NY. But I don't want to use an inferior product as I would like to do a nice job on my quilts using the best materials available so it might last many seasons.

The other thing is that I've heard people mention using momentum 90 for there quilts is this only a necessity for the down quilts or can I use just nylon ripstop. It probably wont matter on this because I will probably use one of the camo nylon ripstop patterns I can get from walmart. Woodland or digital Woodland?

You want to use Climashield for your quilt, it works better for the Jardine style quilting loops, and he says the insulation will rip without them. I think primaloft was intended more for garments, to have a softer down-like feel. The whole deal with Momentum is weight reduction, and it ain't cheap, I've been told most sewing machines handle the momentum better. You might consider using black momentum on one side and the 1.9 digital on the other.

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Thanks TK!

i always heard that primaloft is better then xp. but maybe hammockers use xp cause of the Jardine style quilting loops. I have a 35° sleeping bag made of primaloft and it is beautiful. weighs less then 2lbs and packs about 5x8 (can compress smaller if needed).

I can try and get pictures up if you want.

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Is the primaloft like a flat sheet or is it all fluffy. I'm taking the way TK said it's all fluffy and it would be easier to do the roll type insulation and use quilting loops like in the jardin quilt. I really like the way the quilt was made in the other thread especially how the foot box was done.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    PL comes in sheets but I don't think it's continuous fiber...it lays better for clothing but isn't as sturdy for quilting loops, stuffing/unstuffing, etc that you do with quilts. I have two kids quilts and an insulated hammock from PL and they work fine, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

[QUOTE=Just Jeff;42737]PL comes in sheets but I don't think it's continuous fiber...it lays better for clothing but isn't as sturdy for quilting loops, stuffing/unstuffing, etc that you do with quilts. I have two kids quilts and an insulated hammock from PL and they work fine, though.[/QUOTE

Isn't Primaloft bonded to a scrim sheet?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    I'm considering making a new synthetic top quilt and UQ sleep system. I have found some technical data on the Climashield XP such that it weighs 5.5oz per a linear yard, It has a loft of 1.3 inches and a CLO of .82 and other info such that you roast in a quilt of two layers in the 20's wearing almost nothing. I don't know what CLO is but I'm guessing it's on a scale of .00 - 1.00 and the .82 is a really good thing but who knows I don't even know what CLO means.
    Understand that two layes is a loft of 2.6.... 2.5 or almost all if not all of the modern synthetic insulation is 20 degree range.... FTR so is 2.5 inches of loft of down....

A single layer (1.3) is more generally taken to be about 40 degree range by any of the major synthetic bag makers.....Most posts that i read of use of loft of this range in significantly lower use is always supplemented with clothing which is cited as "carried anyway so it might as well be used in the system".... which is true.... but the bag/quilt range itself is still around 40 for a single layer loft of 1.3-1.5 inches of virtuall any currently available bag/quilt insulation.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    I'm thinking that for about $100 I'll have a sleep system that will take me to at least 30*F and still works to 40* if it gets wet and it drys quickly if it does get wet. I don't do the winter hang so I think this will cover my fall endevors. I'm also figuring this will weigh about 40 to 50 ounces. I'm figuring 2.5 yards for the top quilt and 2.5 yards for the bottom.

For my system I'm thinking 1 layer for UQ, if I need more I'll buy it later on and add to it after all it's just poping a seem and redoing a few quilting loops. I'm thinking 1 layer for the top quilt. I'm thinking to use some ACU camo ripstop for the top and bottom of the UQ and the top of my top quilt and using a dark ripstop for the inside of the topquilt. I'm not sure how to connect the UQ to the hammock as it's for a double Trecklight. But I'm going to check out the photos in the gallery of what others have done and will probably go with some type of cord connection I think I may use gutted 550 cord but if I don't like it I'll try some shock cord or maybe a combination of the two.

If anyone can help me with this connection part I'd appreciate and nudges in the right direction.
    Last edited by pure_mahem; 12-31-2007 at 06:11.

This should get you started on the underquilt:

http://www.kickassquilts.com/

Read Patrick's info carefully, he tells you not to follow his design exactly but evaluate you own needs, IE for a single layer underquilt, maybe think 3/4 length.

As for a top quilt, Ray Jardine's directions are what I used.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast