Insulhammock
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Insulation
    Insulhammock
    Suspension
    DutchGear

Sweet Sipsey Snow Jan 14-15th

Hi all! my first first post so I will apologize for any mistakes now! I was planning a Sipsey trip on jan.17 but forecast was rain so I bumped it up to Fri morning the 14th..my 12 year old daughter demanded to be included in a trip my other hiking friends scoffed at ! So we left in the wee hours of fri. morning and arrived at Thompson Creek Trailhead at 0900..didn't think the Jetta would make it but did,,the further east we drove the deeper the snow !! We broke trail on 206 and headed up Whiteoak creek to the "Big Tree Shortcut" to trail 205 on top in 5 to 8 inches of snow..it was beautiful!!..My plan was to follow the old 205 trail towards Shiprock and come down either before or After the Shiprock ridge,,due to my awesome land nav skills we missed it by 1 ridge and we came to a cliff/waterfall,,we crossed 4 more ridge/cliff/waterfalls only to come to one that we thought we could climb down..After a inspection climb and a pack toss [my ULA CAMINO is tough!] we arrived at the confluence of Bee Branch and trail 206 ..Woot what a bushwhack! It was almost as the trees had chosen to fall on the trail instead of the woods!! Blowdown fever! I would hate to try that during the summer! My daughter then insisted she wanted to camp by the Shiprock Formation so we high-tailed it towards shiprock arriving about an hour before dark! What a trooper , never a complaint and only a little heckling at my map skills[learning from Mom]..We set up my Clark NA with BA Encampment with IAC pad. We had previously agreed to double up [read mistake lol] because the bag was a tall with plenty of room..After the hot bottle trick and padding sides with clothing n jackets we accomplished a cross legged semi flat banana lay! Besides the undue comfort We were warm. The only problem was condensation,,wow,, I had the head end vented but woke about 0400 and opened it more to a backlit full moon above and I swear I saw steam go out and SNOW fell back on my face We had a quick breakdown in the morning with a hot choclate and pepperoni n white cheddar breakfast and beat feet to the Thompson Creek Trailhead,,met a couple of guys getting ready to make the Big Tree Loop and actually got the Jetta out of there ! It was overall successful bushwhack/geartest trip ! we can't wait to get back to Sweet Sipsey Soon!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Awesome! Your daughter certainly will have better tales to tell about that weekend than her friends! Great trip and a pretty slick review to boot!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I know what it feels like to be in the Sipsey covered in snow.........man what a feeling!!!!!! Glad you and the daughter were able to share some time together and have an adventure that you will remember always. Great report so keep em coming!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I have to say it looks like you were out with 3 or 4 different children..different clothes, different hair colors, what's up with that?
    most important, does she want to go again?
    Congratulations to all involved!
    KM (who piles on the blankets when the temps dip below 60; even in the house..)

Hammock
    DIY Speer
    Tarp
    DIY Spinnaker
    Insulation
    3-season Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing or whoopie
    it's good to know someone else was out there near us! That what's our game plan originally, but our little mazda 3 wouldn't make it up the dirt road off of the main road. So went down the road a bit and parked at the rec area and hiked in from there. We had a great two nights and plan to go back to the Bee Branch area again next time.
    adventure is only a mistake away

Images
    Sipsey. AKA Blowdown National Forest! AKA Sipsey miles! Always crawling over/under some tree. Love it though!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lovea610610 View Post

I am in love with the artical,it is so excellent~~
    I love the style~~Hope author will get more attention~~
    wholesale dresses
    vera wang
    Spam alert!

• + New Posts