Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Disclaimer: tomorrow is my first hang so I don't know what I am talking about. I would double the pluq and full length the mummy. The doubled pluq will hold most of the mummy weight. The mummy extending past the pluq may require a second suspension ( obviously not your permanent solution).

I dont have an UQ for my first hang tomorrow. My plan is to larks head each corner of an extra square bag and hang that as an UQ.

I got lucky on. On Monday predicted lows for this weekend were 32-34; now it's 40 ish.

Keep us posted. I think this is a topic of much interest. There seems to be a call for a UQ system to get you thru either cant afford, or not sure you will like hammocking or like you and me the interest in the new hobby came to soon before a planned trip.

Hammock
    ENO dblnest
    Tarp
    Jacks Cat
    Insulation
    3S incubator
    Suspension
    Opie's whoopies
    You might want to try the no sew poncho plans linked below, and stuff it with the mummy. Then use a sit pad for your feet.
    http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-a...-poncho-liner/

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Chatooga, do use more than a PLUQ? I'd you only use a pluq, what temps to you ge to. I'm in the lowcountry to BTW.

Hammock
    ENO dblnest
    Tarp
    Jacks Cat
    Insulation
    3S incubator
    Suspension
    Opie's whoopies
    I used the pluq last June in the Smokies. Slept in a sleeping bag and was quite comfortable. Guessing lows in the mid 50's. Tommorow night I am going to try it in the backyard with a thin feather/down lap blanket I got on clearance at Sport's Authority sandwiched between the pluq layers. Supposed to be in the 30's. I will have my blue pad handy just in case!
    BTW, there is a SC hang on Lake Greenwood planned for May. Not sure I can make it, but it sounds like fun.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Please post results. I am thinking of making a half wallybag UQ like creativekayt, but after packing my pack tonight for the first time in years, I am concerned re volume. I have reviewed Dejohas plans (the sewed version). The pluq doesn't compress small, but it is smaller than the Wally bag.

Hammock
    ENO dblnest
    Tarp
    Jacks Cat
    Insulation
    3S incubator
    Suspension
    Opie's whoopies
    I can tell you the results right now: I am saving up for one of Stormcrow's 3 season incubators!

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I can't justify (afford) it now, but I think if I had to pick one high end piece of equipment it would be UQ /TQ. The weight / volume / cost of a 25 tarp vs. 200 doesn't appeal to me. All other equipment, I am happy with less than top of the line. But, I would love to stuff a small, light, warm UQ TQ into my pack

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I see the point on the PLUQ/mummy, since the mummy is full-length.

I see some wierdness since the mummy tapers to a 2' wide area, it may be challenging to keep that under your feet as a full-length.

Try both. Do you have a backyard test area? always practice, especially with the scouts about. I'd hate to be out there, and helping the kids get settled until after dark, then stuck setting up an unfamiliar rig...

My PLUQ is 2/3rds, and warm to about 40 degrees. I have a 3' piece of reflectix to keep my legs warm... You could always double your "just in case" pad...

Somewhere here, somebody took a mummy and cut a hole in the foot, passing the suspension through that hole. You could then use the PLUQ to pull the rest up against your back. That'd be about as warm as you could get...

Thoughts for suspending the mummy: take some thin line (mason's line comes to mind) and make a larkshead. Put the larkshead over the corner of the mummy and pull tight. Under load, it won't come undone. Add some heavy shock cord, and you should be able to pull the head-end of the mummy up nicely. If the hood on the mummy is floppy, just fold it under.

Pics! I'd like to see how this works out...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I see the point on the PLUQ/mummy, since the mummy is full-length.

I see some wierdness since the mummy tapers to a 2' wide area, it may be challenging to keep that under your feet as a full-length.

Try both. Do you have a backyard test area? always practice, especially with the scouts about. I'd hate to be out there, and helping the kids get settled until after dark, then stuck setting up an unfamiliar rig...

My PLUQ is 2/3rds, and warm to about 40 degrees. I have a 3' piece of reflectix to keep my legs warm... You could always double your "just in case" pad...

Somewhere here, somebody took a mummy and cut a hole in the foot, passing the suspension through that hole. You could then use the PLUQ to pull the rest up against your back. That'd be about as warm as you could get...

Thoughts for suspending the mummy: take some thin line (mason's line comes to mind) and make a larkshead. Put the larkshead over the corner of the mummy and pull tight. Under load, it won't come undone. Add some heavy shock cord, and you should be able to pull the head-end of the mummy up nicely. If the hood on the mummy is floppy, just fold it under.

Pics! I'd like to see how this works out...

John
    Still working on this one. So far I have cut the zipper out and opened up the mummy. I also cut off the hood. I have put grosgrain around the hood where it was cut and adjusted the cord shock cord to use as a hood while sleeping. I tried it on and my daughters laughed at me . I still need to put the grosgrain aroung the edge of the mummy and put on the loops for the suspension. On the PL, I got rid of the factory tie downs and was going to put loops on the corners for suspension. Will post pics when I finish, will try working on it again tomarrow.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12