Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    Good grief... I just found out the MIL paid more than $3,000 for this thing back then!
    Goodness!!!
    Maybe she wanted to imply her wish that you'd make your own startup in embroidery-business !

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Take your machine in and get it cleaned at a good sewing machine repair shop. Try to find one that works on that make of machine. While there, see if they have any classes on sewing with that type of machine. Even a basic sewing class will help you out a lot. Maybe mention to your mother in law what you're up to, does she sew?? Maybe she could teach you how to use that machine.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It has a memory card slot, USB (older style) connection, and a computerized touch panel. It even has a help section for some basic functions that walks you through a brief "pictorial" tutorial.
    The whole idea of the mem card slot and the USB connection is to allow you to set up embroidery designs on a computer and then do the automated design in the embroidery mode. For that you would need the software for the computer and a compatible interface device. That was a top of the lone machine, no mistake. It is way overkill for the gear maker but free is free.

I would definitely advise against trying to do any home maintenance on that machine short of surface cleaning. ie.. brushing out the lint and that kind of thing. Those machines have extremely complex mechanical actions involving automated multi-directional needle and feed dog movements all controlled by the computerized brain in the machine. To mess with any of those without knowing what you are doing could brick the machine giving you a real fancy paperweight. At this point I would question whether the OS boards could be replaced. I'm sure it would be a pricey repair even if they could be.

Also do not attempt to oil the machine with out first learning where & how to apply the oil. Modern electronic machines often have pre-oiled bushings and such which need to be replaced when they dry out. Placing oil in the wrong places on those machines can short out the electrical boards and once again brick the machine. It is a first class machine which needs very little in the way of professional repair to keep it running well. However, the professional attention it needs can be fairly expensive due to the electronics and lack of consumer serviceable components. However... if properly serviced it should last a long time and provide some really high quality gear. Of course... operator skill is not built in just because it is fancy schmancy. Have fun with it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks everyone for the observations and advice!

As mentioned in an earlier post, I definitely plan on taking this into a shop for a service and to learn more. Apparently this unit did not come stock with the foot pedal in Japan, so I'll see what the damage is on that.

Classes...
    This should be interesting...I've identified classes in my area, though not in my preferred language...

On the software...
    This could be a complication. In my initial searches, it seems that more capable software for digitizing, importing and customizing embroidery patterns on the computers may only be available for XP at best, apparently not Vista or Windows 7. I'll see how that works out. Also, I don't see any discs in the documentation, so that software might not have come with it and who knows how to get or how much at this point...

It would actually be of interest for me to import my group's diving logo. We do order up T-shirts a couple times a year, so that would be a bonus to embroider the logo on the chest instead of printing.

Anyway, looking forward to the adventure. My wife even hopes I will be able to teach her how the machine works...

It often goes that way with electronics in our house..

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    On the software...
    This could be a complication. In my initial searches, it seems that more capable software for digitizing, importing and customizing embroidery patterns on the computers may only be available for XP at best, apparently not Vista or Windows 7. I'll see how that works out. Also, I don't see any discs in the documentation, so that software might not have come with it and who knows how to get or how much at this point...
    This issue is further complicated by the question of whether the machine can read only a particular format or not. I am sure you can get embroidery software for the Vista virus or Win 7 but given the machine is ~10 old software compatible with those platforms may not be compatible with the machine. I can't help you much with that kind of thing. I have a knitting machine that will read digital patterns but I suspect I would not be able to use it at this point due to program compatibility issues.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    Most XP software will run ok on Vista or Win7. If that doesn't work, depending on the version of Win7, you can run a lot of software in XP mode.

But first, get it serviced. Then get the manuals. Then get the software.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12