DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    9x9 piece of Tyvek and you are in business, tons of great advice here. Tyvek is light, inexpensive and VERY durable.

Like someone said, pennies, marbles, rocks, etc at the tie outs. I've got 2 9x9 pieces I'm using to make some friends some ghetto hammock camping setups on the cheap.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    Here are a few ebay sellers.

9' width
    10' width
    Looks like these are the heavier home wrap and not the 1443 tyvek. I might be wrong though.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Sorry it is the home wrap. Thats what I used in my tarp as its what i had around the house

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Tyvek HW & GG12X12
    Insulation
    WalMart blue pads
    Suspension
    1" straps & biners

My thoughts Jerry

For the money, Tyvek homewrap is great stuff for us.

I have made many items now using the stuff; some good, some not so good.
    Some I've given away to others I've converted to hammocking.

The best part of buying a roll of tyvek is for about the price of 1 silnylon tarp system, you can experiment with different styles and configurations for a couple bucks each. When it is just my son and I in non-storm weather, we take the 9'X9' and are fine. When the weather is stormy we use the larger one. When the weather stinks we use the tyvek as a ground barrier and a 4 layer surplus hay tarp.

We've never had an issue with the noise without washing yet we are HEAVY sleepers.

After all of the experimenting we've been able to afford to do (even a set of gaitors and forearm protectors which are awesome,) I've learned what we need (I plan on making something similar to 2 Big mamba jamba with detatching doors out of silnylon by this next summer.) Had I not had the opportunity to 'play around'...well I'd most likely have buyers remorse over what I would have bought and still not known what we really needed. Plus when I accidently put a puncture hole in one of the tarps I didn't even flinch, I may have said a few creative words had I spent $200 on it. I also have the option now of picking which tarp to take with me. Oh, and I just met a local printer who said he prints on tyvek from time to time so if you wanted to cammo up the sheet it can be done.

As a final note, regardless of what you pick for tarp construction, I'd suggest making a couple yourself based on some simple proven designs. Then when you figure out exactly what you A> want and B>skill level to create C>money comparison of purchase vs making it yourself ...make the choice. Tyvek was a great way to start for us.

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Tyvek HW & GG12X12
    Insulation
    WalMart blue pads
    Suspension
    1" straps & biners

For clarification

The 2 tarps I will be making are for the 4 of us. The 2 princesses in our family are the reason I'll be upping the privacy factor. I think my son and I will still use the tyvek most of the time when we are without them because it works, it is durable and the price rocks. I could make 4 escape ponchos out of it fast if the weather got really nasty and wouldn't even think about the $7 lost tarp.

For the thread-injector-phobic, Material Concept sells the OmnicovR Groundsheet (10GX hard tyvek, 1.6oz/sq yd) in a precut 8'x10' sheet for $29.99 (though currently out of stock). I'm not 100% certain, but I think it lacks the big DuPont Tyvek logos of the house wrap.

Sheet bends for the corners and two ridge line tie outs and bam. 8x10' tarp for ~$30. A bit more expensive than buying 60"x10yd for $65, but no seams to play with. Just an option.
    Last edited by BER; 02-09-2011 at 11:25.

Hammock
    My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry ( the Hiker ) View Post
    I am in need of a new light weight tarp, And i want to make one.....I understand the Tyvek is pretty good stuff, what do you think?

Understand I am hiking on a budget and purchasing a top of the line tarp is out of the question....Unless someone on here would see it in their heart to give it to me lol.......

Anyway....what do you think...

Jerry
    Try "Sportmans Guide". They have a 12 x 12 tarp for under $30 BUCKS, and it got nothing but good reviews here and on their website. The only problem is they are backordered till the middle of next month. I'd send you a link but i don't know how, Sorry. Go to the website and get your name on the list before they are all gone.

Hammock
    My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock

Try a counstruction site.

Also if you are hurting for money try going to a construction site in your area and ask any of the guys you see doing work about scavenging some of their pieces that they are throwing out. I used to see half rolls get thrown into the dumpster just cause it had a little mud on the outside layers. Then all you need is some tyvek tape and your good to go.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    That Gear Guide tarp is nice and big but weights 2 pounds.

Picture of Gear Guide tarp and comparison picture between Gear Guide tarp, Mosquito Hammocks Camo tarp (about 18 oz) and Warbonnet Big Mamajamba tarp w/side pull outs (15 oz)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I've been looking for tyvek scraps locally, but no luck... I guess I'll either have to pay too much on ebay, or buy a 150' roll...

Group buy anybody?
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast