Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

DIY Camp Chair

On a recent camping trip some friends of mine and I got to thinking about how to have a chair with you on a trip without having to haul a chair in. This was prior to learning about the hammock chairs and bush chairs and I have to admit that this was before I was converted off the ground. We came up with an idea that I won't go into right now, but that got me to thinking about what I could come up with as far as a chair goes. Now what I have made would never make the ruck of someone who is looking to go as light as possible but if you don't mind a few pounds for a little comfort I think it is a good idea. And hey, you've already shaved pounds converting from a tent so you're still ahead of the game.

Although the finished item does have some weight, I did try to consider how to make it as light as possible while still being sturdy. Basically what I was trying to design was a stool. My first idea basically had 4 legs, but I thought if I moved to 3 it would help it not wobble and it would save the weight of one leg. I decided to try to use electrical conduit, or emt, not rigid. You can find pre-bent 90 degree elbows at your local hardware store. I tested these to see if they would hold my weight. I weigh 190 lbs and one 1/2" elbow could support me if I put it under one cheek and balance on it. Obviously, a one legged stool wouldn't be too comfortable so I had to figure out how to attach three together.

Once I settled on a full design I had to bend the conduit. That didn't go too well and since I don't have a conduit bender at home I got restless waiting for my brother to have time to bend them so I just tried using electrical pvc.

Once you have the elbows you can lengthen the legs with additional conduit. The legs are attached to a bucket lid with two-hole conduit straps, two per leg. I used a framing plate cut into a triangle to reinforce the bucket lid and ran bolts through the triangle, then the lid and then through the straps. The center straps are tied together in an over-lapping fashion where the left side is always under the next strap and the right is always on top, or vice versa. The two safety features are the chain and key chain ring at the base and the tent stakes sticking through the lid. Obviously the chain keeps the legs from kicking out when you sit on the stool and the tent stakes keep the legs from torquing left or right. My brother is 250+ and he had no problems sitting on the chair.

The metal looks like it would hurt to sit on, but you don't even feel it, but if you add a folded jacket, shirt or even gloves to the seat it is very comfortable and stable. The chair in the pictures is made from 1 1/4" conduit, but I have made one with 1" pvc and it worked just as well and was considerably lighter. The chairs disassemble and pack down pretty well. Someone might even figure out a way to make the stool a frame for a pack or something. You could definitely go shorter than what I have and save weight and if you use 3/4" conduit it would be even lighter. The 1 1/4" stool weighed about 4 lbs and is about 19" tall. Without the extensions the stool is about 10" tall I think and that's not bad. I haven't weighed it without the extensions but I would guess that you would save close to a pound there. The 1" stool is probably 2 1/2 lbs. If I had used emt it would have been less than two lbs I bet.

I'd love to see what you guys think about this and see if it inspires any mods.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

A few more pics

I'm not falling in the one picture, I was just showing that it would hold my weight with my feet off the ground. The other fella is my son Logan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    TeWa UQ, GoLite TC
    Suspension
    web
    Looks clever, but looks like something from the Inquisition, and nobody expects the spanish Inquisition. There is a chair in this forum somewhere that uses hiking poles and a piece of nylon, much lighter and you don't have to denounce Satan to sit in it.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    The chair in reference is the Jerry Chair!!!!!!!!!! I like the chair idea that you have built there, but I know I will definitely need something bigger to keep me off the ground <read exceeding the weight limit>!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    i would suggest a hammock chair. i got the idea from econo challenge on you tube. it is made by sewing a small loop through one end of fabric (your choice) and a rope through another loop. at camp you find 4 large sticks and form a tripod and tie the rope end of the chair around the top of the tripod. you then use the 4th stick and run it through the other loop and set in on 2 of the legs of the tripod. the link is below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EconoCha.../0/KH6yqDFGRqI
    Hops

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    always good to see some good ole' american ingenuity!
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
    always good to see some good ole' american ingenuity!
    Yeah, except that the guys in the YouTube video are from Canada.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grich9860 View Post
    i would suggest a hammock chair. i got the idea from econo challenge on you tube. it is made by sewing a small loop through one end of fabric (your choice) and a rope through another loop. at camp you find 4 large sticks and form a tripod and tie the rope end of the chair around the top of the tripod. you then use the 4th stick and run it through the other loop and set in on 2 of the legs of the tripod. the link is below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EconoCha.../0/KH6yqDFGRqI
    I have a big scrap of fabric leftover from my recent DIY spree that has just found its purpose!

Edit: The creators of that video have them for sale, but 35.00 is WAY too steep... http://canada-camps.ca/node/77 Measurements are 24.5” x 43.5” if you're interested.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I have a big scrap of fabric leftover from my recent DIY spree that has just found its purpose!

Edit: The creators of that video have them for sale, but 35.00 is WAY too steep... http://canada-camps.ca/node/77 Measurements are 24.5” x 43.5” if you're interested.
    thanks for the measurements on the chair.
    Hops

Hammock
    Byer Moskito Traveller for now.
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly-esque
    Insulation
    AHE UQ, WBurrow TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    How bout this from REI?

REI Trail Stool

I've got one. Super comfortable. Only 18 oz. "Folds" easily enough to tie on the outside of a pack. And probably fairly easy to DIY.
    For I know the plans I have for you, sayeth my wife.

Money well spent is better than money not spent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast