Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    FourDog Thanks!!
    I've got a BivAnorak and can't remember if I ever thought to use it as bivyPOD over a Wallcreeper or PeaPod...I will try this.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    I've got a Coleman Big Basin synthetic insulated bag that is 36"w x 85" long rated for 10f . It ought to be a good canidate for this. The down side is it goes an easy 6# weight and packs down to 12" around by 18" long. Curiousity wise what is the average weight of your sleep systems (sans hammock) for backpacking in, not using a pulk sled?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newzy View Post
    I've got a Coleman Big Basin synthetic insulated bag that is 36"w x 85" long rated for 10f . It ought to be a good canidate for this. The down side is it goes an easy 6# weight and packs down to 12" around by 18" long. Curiousity wise what is the average weight of your sleep systems (sans hammock) for backpacking in, not using a pulk sled?
    Depending on temps, couple of examples:
    1: My Speer Pea Pod weighs 42 oz/2.6 lbs, I think the newest ones are 38 oz.

2: JRB MW3 15*F "short" UQ ~13 oz full length ~ 23 oz Golite Ultra 20 TQ ~ 21 oz= 33-43 oz

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Depending on temps, couple of examples:
    1: My Speer Pea Pod weighs 42 oz/2.6 lbs, I think the newest ones are 38 oz.

2: JRB MW3 15*F "short" UQ ~13 oz full length ~ 23 oz Golite Ultra 20 TQ ~ 21 oz= 33-43 oz
    Guess they pack down pretty small too? After this weekend have been considering making a combination Pod/hammock with down. I don't like UQ, TQ separate for cold weather camping. Would like to make a setup that could be vented easily to control internal temp at varying outdoor ambients below 25f that could be used down to 0f.

Instead of a car window reflector, I got a "Space Brand All-Weather Blanket" - $16. It's 5x7, silver on one side, olive on other. Can use as ground tarp also. Tried it tonight in place of the thermorest in my "peapod" and it works great - about 50 degrees F outside only but I almost instantly started sweating. Lighter than the Thermorest also (14oz I think). Thanks for starting me on my search FourDog!!!

Hammock
    DIY green gathered end.
    Tarp
    12x10 blue tarp.
    Insulation
    DIY 25* Peapod
    Suspension
    JRB triglide
    Finally got out and got some grosgrain. Ran it along all the sides of the pod and at the head end so I can cinch it up. Still having a hard time finding shockcord or the dohicky to keep the cord tight. Going to also add some loops at the head end and along the sides so I can unzip it and not have it fall to the ground.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

pod collar

A draw cord on the bag, and a collar about 12 " out from the pod bag on each end, with an elastic draw cord closes up the ends nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

I have a blackbird and i am considering the mss pod system. I was thinking of using the patrol bag inside the hammock like a normal bag. Then using the intermediate and bivy as a pod system with the foot end slit cut to one side to allow for best diagonal lay if at all possible. The pod would run under the Ridgeline. I've seen some similar thoughts and ideas with the mss bit not exactly this. Does it sound doable? How cold do you think I could go with this? Not worried about weight just want to be able to winter camp on the cheap.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by two in a cluster View Post
    I have a blackbird and i am considering the mss pod system. I was thinking of using the patrol bag inside the hammock like a normal bag. Then using the intermediate and bivy as a pod system with the foot end slit cut to one side to allow for best diagonal lay if at all possible. The pod would run under the Ridgeline. I've seen some similar thoughts and ideas with the mss bit not exactly this. Does it sound doable? How cold do you think I could go with this? Not worried about weight just want to be able to winter camp on the cheap.
    Might be a little more difficult with a BlackBird. I did it with my DIY hammock. It is my Sub 0º set-up
    Shug

You can see my POD in this video too

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Found a bag extender for my Western Mountaineering bag to make it just a tad roomier and easier to zip with my 0º UQ and Tq. I am thrilled….I purchased their last one in stock.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast