BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing

upgraded SS for Exped assym, my story.

When I originally bought my HH Exped Asym I didn't realize the correlation of hammock size to occupants comfort. The stats said limit was 250# which happened to be what I weighed and at 5'9" I didn't figure my height to be an issue. After testing it a few times and finding this site I realize that I would have been better served with either the HH Expl Deluxe or the HH DJ XL but I am cheap & at the time, knowing virtually nothing about hammocks, wouldn't have sprung for the xtra $$ anyway. In time I have figured out a good lay & am currently happy with what I have although I am now looking for a wider & possibly longer hammock but that's another story. I'm looking at the Eno dbl or Traveler 1.7 dbl layer and leaning towards the Traveler.

Due to cost I decided on the HHSS for insulation instead of an UC, did I mention I was cheap . After testing, lowest being 27 deg, I can say I am quite comfortable with the SS & an OQ but I did find myself waking a couple times a night to cold spots after I shifted from back to side or reversing lay. I am a wide body so when I shifted part of me ended up off the pad. Fortunately I had gotten the HQ2Q mod #3 (which I highly recommend if you have the classic) so reaching out & adjusting the pad was quick & easy. Unfortunately not being fully awake and somewhat irritated at having my sleep interrupted for no apparent life threatening circumstance I put my thumb through the fragile pad, on both sides I might add. While not a big deal I couldn't do this too often without having an inventory of pads so I began looking at remedies. After some discussion with HH I purchased the pad for the Expl. It is aprox' 3-4" wider and only about $5. more than the pad specified for the Exped. After a couple of nights down to the low 30's I can say problem resolved, never woke up due to cold spots even though I did shift several times a night. Amazing what a few inches will do. As a side note; when the temps start heading below 50 the recommended space blanket over the open cell pad of the SS is necessary. I have read the complaints about the rustling of the SB but if you tuck the xtra back under the pad once you get in it becomes a non-issue.
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Very clever solution. The conventional wisdom is that the Explorer OCF pad is just for that model but you've proven that wrong. I'm sure many could benefit from this.

No problems with the pad's length?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    The only adjustment I had to make was cinching up a little on the pad suspension cord. One could also move the supplied suspension anchors but I chose tying a simple overhand in the suspension cord shortening each side by about 2"-3" to match the Exped system giving me the option of using both pads. No idea how low I can go with both pads since temps around here have been warming & most likely won't see anything below 35 till next year. I must say I do enjoy deep winter here when we get one or two days of what many would consider a fine spring day up north

Images
    Hey Swingblade, very interesting thread! As a long time (at least in some ways) fan of the SS ( and for a long time just about the only fan here), I have often wondered how much that more narrow pad contributed to some folk's less than thrilling experiences with the HHSS. As many or most of them were using Expeditions or ULBPs. Laying on my 35" wide pad, and at the time having no access to the outside in order to make sure I was still on the pad, I often wondered why HH would even make a more narrow pad (28 inches)! I guess it saved a smidgen of weight, but I can't think of any other advantage. And I can think of at least one major disadvantage.

But kudos to you for taking an approach I have not seen done yet! And just using an Explorer pad inside of an expedition! Of course I'm sure it's not a perfect fit as far as the side tie outs and such, but still better than managing to find a cold spot on a too narrow pad. Also, I'm glad to hear about how well it is working out for you.

Yes that fragile OCF pad can be a PITA for sure! On the other hand, I'm still using my original one from three years ago. Very ugly, but still very functional. Patch up some of those holes with some seam sealer. Ugly, but perfectly functional. Just as warm as new. For some reason, I have no holes at all in the kidney and torso pads that I got from HH a few months after I got the system.

User pretty wide space blanket. I like to use the EMS heat sheet, although for a long time I just use the space blanket from Walmart. Which worked just fine. But the EMS is less noisy and easier to work with. Not that I ever hear either one of them once I'm in a hammock. But the main thing about space blanket is to always try to have the space blanket between your fingers and the pad when you try to move it. It'll cut way down on the holes.

Where have you been doing your hanging? Not that many trees down at Sedona, though obviously about a billion trees if you get up on the Mogollon Rim, as well as a lot colder!

So, ( always the most important question when it comes to the HH SS with space blanket): How have you been doing as far as condensation inside the HHSS or on top of the space blanket?

Hammock
    Mosquito Jungle
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10 w/Beaks
    Insulation
    DIY SPE w/ccf, etc
    Suspension
    JRB webbing
    I've also used the larger UnderPad in the SuperShelter with a BackpackerAsym with good success. Tweaked the suspension points on the pad for better fit - sewed in a couple of anchors for cords along the ends to narrow the angle of the suspension lines.

Doubled up with the original UP in the SS, I got to the mid-30's at Neo's recent hang-out at Merriwether Lewis, using a space blanket between the hammock and UP, of course, and a JRB N'Snvlr on top (cold sleeper; YMMV).

Where there's a will, there's a way!
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition ASM
    Tarp
    Expedition ASM
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I have a question for you guys who have used the SS system - is there enough room to slide an underquilt inside the bottom cover? I'm considering making my own for cooler weather....I sometimes camp when its down into the teens.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by RWillieK View Post
    I have a question for you guys who have used the SS system - is there enough room to slide an underquilt inside the bottom cover? I'm considering making my own for cooler weather....I sometimes camp when its down into the teens.
    Try this thread, it may be of some help.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27116

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition ASM
    Tarp
    Expedition ASM
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Thanks for the link.....

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Billy Bob; Thanks for the skinny on the seam sealer. Also you mention an EMS Heat Sheet instead of the cheapo space blankets. The only thing I found in Google search under that title or EMT Heat Sheet was $79.00 ... I don't think that was what you were referring to. Do you have an idea of how I can research the item your talking about? I'm fine with the cheapos but would be interested in an upgrade. I have heavy duty space tarps but that's a little overkill and they are rather heavy for backpacking. Actually come to think of it, if one were to cut & seam one of those tarps to fit it might not be to big & heavy ... hmm.

Regarding the fit to the tie outs you are correct, it's not dead on but close enough where no alteration is necessary.

While not the Sherwood Forest, Sedona (Verde Valley area) has a lot more trees (besides the multitude of Junipers which can be tricky to hang from) than meets the eye at first glance. While there are a number of areas I can hike to from my house that offer good hanging options I usually take the 4X4 and access more remote areas as I don't care to have a bunch of hikers disturbing my serenity.

I have not experienced any condensation issues but that may be due to several issues. First Arizona has very little humidity. I don't use any OC to trap moisture from my body or breath and I use a synthetic mummy bag as a TQ but do not get in it or zip it up. I haven't hung in the rain either. Finally I dislike being hot almost as much as being cold when I sleep so I'm quick to adjust TQ, even in my sleep so sweating is not an issue & even if it was it would be only the hammock material and/or the SB that would be effected which dry out quickly due to air flow. Not a scientific explanation but it's my story & I'm sticking to it.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast