Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

Newbie's 1st cold weather hang

Success! Last night was my first cold weather hang. I finally got to hang in the back yard since getting my JRB No Sniv for Christmas to use as an underquilt. The low went to 33 degrees with a small breeze. I was warm with only a cold spot here and there throughout the night.

I’m a really cold sleeper so I’m thrilled because I didn’t use any type of pad. Just 39 ounces of down (19 oz belonged to a WM Summerlite sleeping bag on top and 20 oz. for the No Sniv. used as an underquilt = about 2.5 pounds) plus my regular cold weather camping clothing.

I went into the hammock at 11 pm and woke up at 1 am because of car noise. I decided to tighten the underquilt because I felt I could be warmer and I was right. It was even better once I tighten it.

I had my pad ready if I needed it, but never felt it necessary. I woke up with a crust of frost on the tarp at 7 am, but was warm enough to keep sleeping.

I used my HH Backpacker hammock. My hang was good because I was very comfortable in any position. Sometimes I get knee pain if I lay on my back too long when I'm not positioned correctly, but not last night. I slept on my back most of the night so I must have had the correct flat position.

I used my new JRB 10 x 11 tarp for the first time which is great, but now I know why people use tensioners. It stretched out during the night. (I had 4 new tensioners but didn’t use them.) I’m going to experiment more with them this week as I see they are an absolute necessity with this tarp.

I used my WM Summerlite bag as the top quilt. Didn’t zip it except for down around the feet. Even though this bag is rated to 32 degrees, I didn’t think it would do it for me. Pleasantly surprised that I was warm enough. But I did wear long johns, a pair of fleece pants, 2 pairs of socks, a turtle neck shirt, Montbell’s down under jacket and a fleece hat with a fleece baclava and a pair of liner SmartWool gloves.

This is what I pack as my cold weather backpacking clothes and I was happy that it worked out so well with the hammock setup. Plus now that I have the No Sniv as the underquilt, I’ll have this as an extra garment if needed in cold weather.

There’s a lot to be said for being confident that you have enough warm gear!

Even in cold weather, I appreciated the netting on the HH. I got a small bit of condensation inside the tarp. The condensation sat on the netting instead of getting on my down bag. I just shook it off the netting in the morning. The bag was dry. Being a newbie, I have a lot to learn about the setup of the new JRB tarp because it’s so versatile.

I do have to say that when I first put the No Sniv on the HH as an underquilt I kinda panicked and thought I had made a big mistake not getting the Nest with the slit for the HH. I thought it was going to be a pain getting in and out of it without a Nest slit, but the No Sniv really does well just pushing it off to the side and popping it back in place.

A few times in and out and I was an expert.

So I feel my first cold weather hang was a definite success. I feel I have all the gear I need to sleep in 30 degree temps comfortably. I love the comfort of the underquilt and I love the tarp even though there’s still a learning curve that I will enjoy figuring out.

I'll be interested to see if adding a pad will take me into the 20's.

Happy New Year! Tracy

sounds like you got it figured out. keep learning you will get to 20 hopefully lower

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    great report. sounds like you're well on your way.
    i'm sure the pad will take you to even lower temps & if you do at some point find your legs/knees bothering you, just use something (like a stuff sack w/ any thing extra in it) as a pillow to use under your knees when on your back or between your knees when on your side.
    that will also help relive certain back pressures sometimes as well.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Congrats on your winter hang..... Did you accordian your bag over you like we talked about at the MAHHA? Bags used quilt style are really much warmer because the extra material when loosely accordianed significantly increses loft.... easy trick to warmth and reduced weight once the under quilt route is taken.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Congrats Happy Camper!! What a great report!! Glad all worked out well and you were as snug as a bug in a rug. Can't wait to see your set up...up close and personal.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Fun, isn't it? Glad your cold hang was a success.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Fun, isn't it?
    Absolutely! I never camped into the 30's even when I was on the ground, so being warm at 33 degrees with only 2.5 pounds of bag/quilt in a hammock is a real confidence booster.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Congrats on your winter hang..... Did you accordian your bag over you like we talked about at the MAHHA? Bags used quilt style are really much warmer because the extra material when loosely accordianed significantly increses loft.... easy trick to warmth and reduced weight once the under quilt route is taken.

Pan
    Ha! I didn’t strategically do it, but it kinda ended up that way. And I'll say it again, Pan, love the No Sniv! Love the tarp! No looking back. Completely satisfied. Was so thrilled to see and use your gear at the MAHHA; it really helped solidify what I wanted. Can't wait to take it on my next backpacking trip.

Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    Can't wait to see your set up.
    You bet! At the next MAHHA for sure.

I must say these forums are the absolute best. HF has taught me that everyone is different and you have to keep experimenting until you find out what works for you. And with all the tips and tricks on the forum, it’s absolutely impossible NOT to find something that works!

Thanks all!

• + New Posts