Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dollarbin

dollarbin

Hello hangers, I'm looking for some help, I got some material that looks like the 1.9 in the pic from this post.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...light=identify

I tried blowing very hard and any air getting by I think may be from a lack of seal with my lips. both look the same, some times I think one side looks a little shinier but I think i'm inagning that. I formed a bowl with it and put about three cups of water in it, and the next morning there was about a tablespoon of water that leaked through. So I guess its sil. what do ya'll think. Also , I'm gonna make a tarp and have a question. Assuming its sil I'll seal the seam the speer way and all will be good. But if it's dwr and my silicone peels proving that , then what can I use to seal dwr? Thanks for any help.

Happy hanging, Jeff Pugh.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    To the best of my kowledge if the fabric is silnylon NO water would have gone through. My best guess is that it is DWR ripstop nylon and would not be suitable for making a tarp. Would be great for making a hammock sock or for the outer cover on a bottom quilt.
    Thats the thing with WAl Mart for a buck...... you have to best guess it sometimes..
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

So sil may be better, but if it's as waterproof as you say and if it's rigged right and you don't plan to be out in gale force conditions, it may be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ZDP-189 View Post
    So sil may be better, but if it's as waterproof as you say and if it's rigged right and you don't plan to be out in gale force conditions, it may be enough.
    I was planning on a rectangle about 12' long by whatever width I can get, its 60" wide, so almost 10' wide with seam running the long way, A frame set up. I plan to orer some of the real stuff at some point, or get lucky at wally world eventually. For now I have a blue tarp I could use for an extra layer.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i agree w/ just what GREEN THERAPY said.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - I wouldn't make a tarp from it. The water you put in there wasn't under any pressure, but rain will be windblown so even more of it will come through. I'd use it for a sock, or if it's 1.9 oz a hammock even.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    So will water go thru sil if it is forced thru? Or if you disturb it enough (rubbing with fingers, etc.)?
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I made the gross mistake of making my first tarp with that kind of material. It leaked. My heart broke. But, I got silnylon from Ed Speers and made another. Success, no leaks!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

silnylon waterproofness

Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    So will water go thru sil if it is forced thru? Or if you disturb it enough (rubbing with fingers, etc.)?
    Lots of info here: http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/DryGear/index.html

what I take away from this is that basically nothing is "waterproof" given enough pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I made the gross mistake of making my first tarp with that kind of material. It leaked. My heart broke. But, I got silnylon from Ed Speers and made another. Success, no leaks!
    Shug
    My heart is a little broke now I thought this was the stuff, I was looking through other posts and saw where someone put material in bucket and used like a gallon of water I did this last night with about 1 1/2 gal. and there was slow drip drip. so I guess the search continues. I'm bicyling now so for now I'll keep using my canvas. But I do want to make a light weight tarp. I think I'll use this stuff for an underquilt and stuffsacks. I got a lot I can make more hammocks too. I might get some of the regular uncoated ripstop and give it a bath like this =

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ighlight=treat

So what is this dwr stuff I guess thats what I've got it definitely has some resistance to water just now proof. I read somewhere that these silicone sprays would not be compatible with dwr for maintanace treatment, what should be used??

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll try to get some pics of the stand I made up soon.

Happy hagin. Jeff P.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast