Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition, Scout, DIY
    Tarp
    asym

using down blanket as UQ

So I got a down blanket that was being thrown out. could i sew shock cord on it with webbing around it then just make a over cover for it? I would imagine using the down out of it inside would be next to impossible.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition ASM
    Tarp
    Expedition ASM
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I did this very thing this weekend. I have been hanging in the basement, which has a bare concrete floor - its fairly cold without any kind of underquilt (I don't have a real one yet).

I took one of those $10 down blankets thats measures probably 5-foot by 6-foot or something and hung it under my HH Expedition ASM. I used a tarp ridgeline with a couple of prussiks, a nacribiner, and a single peice (per end) of shock cord. I attached the blanket to the shock cord with some of those blue tarp alligator gripper things....I had them laying around for the boat tarp.

While I noticed a big difference, I had my wife get in the hammock and lay down for five minutes. I then pulled the blanket out.....her words were "WOW! That makes a huge difference!"

I would be cautious about using it as an over quilt as I bet it will gather moisture like a sponge.

Robbie

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Sure can. I made an under quilt with a cheap $10 Sports Authority down throw.

From another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Made my first under quilt from the Sports Authority down throws. Trimmed the perimeter of the throw with grosgrain ribbon, sewing it to the throw with two rows of stitches to create a channel. Down the length I pulled gutted paracord for the suspension. On the ends I used bungee cord with cord locks so the ends could be drawn in to shape the UQ and prevent gaps.

I made this UQ for use with my indoor Brazilian hammock. The throws are pretty heavy (25.5oz finished), don't compress too well and kind of thin for backpacking use. It's basically a 3/4 length UQ and works just fine indoors. I sleep in a top quilt with foot box, so my feet haven't been getting cold. Mission accomplished. Now to make a TQ for the throws.

Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Yeah, those Sports Authority throws have sewn through baffles that just leak the heat right out. So it works if there is no wind around, but almost useless out in the field. I'm sewing a UQ and going to pull the down out of those throws and see what I get. Its most likely only 550 down, but I'm curious how warm I can get it to be. Worse comes to worse, I open up the side seam and change out the down with some quality down.

• + New Posts