Do pads work as VB's?

I speculated about this on another thread, but I thought it would be worth discussing by itself. I have an Oware pad, and judging by the comfort that people tend to get out of it vs. its R value, I'm thinking that it has a VB effect. I'm wondering whether people have experimented with using an Oware (or GG) pad as a VB underneath and another VB layer (silnylon tarp? garbage bag?) on top. It seems that this would keep condensation out of down top quilts.

Would this be effective? Warm? or would it just be terribly uncomfortable?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiden View Post
    I speculated about this on another thread, but I thought it would be worth discussing by itself. I have an Oware pad, and judging by the comfort that people tend to get out of it vs. its R value, I'm thinking that it has a VB effect. I'm wondering whether people have experimented with using an Oware (or GG) pad as a VB underneath and another VB layer (silnylon tarp? garbage bag?) on top. It seems that this would keep condensation out of down top quilts.

Would this be effective? Warm? or would it just be terribly uncomfortable?
    VBs for sure work, in my experience. First by stopping evaporative cooling, which is a major contributor to cold. 2nd by keeping your insulation dry. I never though of a ccf pad as a VB, but I guess it is, at least as long you don't move anyway. If you move, then whatever damp area you then expose to air would start evaporating, defeating any purpose of VB as that area drys off, cooling you down. The idea with a VB is that-assuming you are not overheating and outright sweating- you will only get so wet, 100% humidity at the skin, and then you don't get any more damp. But if you break the seal ( unzipping a vb shirt, opening the garbage bag, or I suppose moving on a pad), the moisture evaporates, cooling you and then settling in you insulation.

Although, even if you move, maybe the pad would still reduce moisture that goes down into your quilt?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    VBs for sure work, in my experience. First by stopping evaporative cooling, which is a major contributor to cold. 2nd by keeping your insulation dry. I never though of a ccf pad as a VB, but I guess it is, at least as long you don't move anyway. If you move, then whatever damp area you then expose to air would start evaporating, defeating any purpose of VB as that area drys off, cooling you down. The idea with a VB is that-assuming you are not overheating and outright sweating- you will only get so wet, 100% humidity at the skin, and then you don't get any more damp. But if you break the seal ( unzipping a vb shirt, opening the garbage bag, or I suppose moving on a pad), the moisture evaporates, cooling you and then settling in you insulation.

Although, even if you move, maybe the pad would still reduce moisture that goes down into your quilt?
    Yeah, I was thinking of protecting a down under/top quilt and adding warmth at the same time. I am not sure I'd need it based on where/when I'm planning to go out, but it would be good to have a buffer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiden View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking of protecting a down under/top quilt and adding warmth at the same time. I am not sure I'd need it based on where/when I'm planning to go out, but it would be good to have a buffer.
    I have actually been thinking of revisiting the VB approach, in the form of clothing. I have mainly used them as socks, and they have made a HUGE difference sometimes. And If I have a very thin layer of socks between me and the VB and then the outer socks, the dampness really doesn't bother me much. But the added warmth is greatly appreciated. But if you take that VB sock ( or clothing) off for some reason, get ready for a blast of cold as that trapped moisture starts evaporating!

I have seen folks go from freezing feet to a-ok just with the addition of a VB sock.

Here is one thing I have remembered lately: If you had a VB completely separating you from your insulation, there is no reason why you can't protect your insulation with a completely waterproof sock or shell. Or even just a highly water resistant, but poorly breathable, sock. That can add up to a lot of warmth and protection for the insulation.

But that is probably only usable when it is pretty cold, or you might over heat and sweat. Although, something like the PeaPod is so adjustable for when you need to cool down, that it might be a good system to use with that.

Have you checked out the Stephenson Warmlite folk's tutorials on VBs?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-31-2007 at 19:38.

• + New Posts