Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Oh, I didn't have ANY condensation below me, at all. It was all on the inside of the "roof" of the sock. A very fine layer of icy crystals.

The DD hammock's double layer is waterproof, and besides I had CCF in there. Very little condensation on that either, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    ...can be avoided by using a vapor barrier right under the hammock. A space blanket will do, or a Baby Orca.

- MacEntyre

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    ...besides I had CCF in there.
    Right! I forgot about that!

So, for the folks who are following this and figuring it out, the point is that with IX on the outside in such extreme cold, you run the risk of trapping moisture in your insulation, where it will condense and freeze. A vapor barrier right under the hammock, like a CCF pad, or a Baby Orca, or a space blanket, will prevent that.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Festus
    Someday I’ll have my own Molly Mac single layer IX hammock sock and was interested in your use of a diamond fly. Typically a much larger tarp is used for the winter season. Do you feel the combination of the diamond fly with the sock was adequate? Was the tarp even needed? Any breeze at all?
    Thanks
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Festus
    Someday I’ll have my own Molly Mac single layer IX hammock sock and was interested in your use of a diamond fly. Typically a much larger tarp is used for the winter season. Do you feel the combination of the diamond fly with the sock was adequate? Was the tarp even needed? Any breeze at all?
    Thanks
    It wasn't very breezy. We thought we might be facing as much as 15mph winds but that didn't happen. I don't really know what's the typical winter tarp size, my DD tarp is about 10'x10' and it's the biggest tarp I have- I've never owned anything with doors or what have you. It actually pitches well in "A-frame" as well, but I prefer the diamond shape as there are less tie-outs. For snow stakes I just tied to down branches which I buried in the snow... worked great!

I think I could have gotten away without the tarp, but would have wanted it pitched if it had snowed or was more breezy.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    I think I could have gotten away without the tarp, but would have wanted it pitched if it had snowed or was more breezy.
    You should try your IX Hammock Sock without a tarp in the snow! If it's breezy, you can rig your diamond tarp as a leanto for blocking the wind. It's fun to use an open set up in winter, when you have a sock.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234