Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDevil5811 View Post
    Juniper Springs to Hopkins Prairie is 10.5 miles (Juniper Springs to Hidden Pond is 5.3 miles), add the Yearling Trail that's another 5.5 miles, for a grand total of approximately 16 miles for the weekend.

Overview
    Length: 10.5 miles
    Lat-Long: 29.276587, -81.687867 (Hopkins), 29.180100, -81.712900 (Juniper)
    Type: linear
    Fees / Permits: parking fee at Juniper Springs
    Good for: backpacking, birding, camping, birding, dogs
    Difficulty: 3 of 5
    Bug factor: 2 of 5
    Restroom: At Juniper Springs

Potable water is available at Juniper Springs. The trail crosses two small creeks that feed Juniper Run, and passes many prairie ponds where you can easily filter water. During hunting season, camping is permitted only at the Juniper Springs Campground (fee), Hopkins Prairie Campground (fee), and Hidden Pond.

I have been looking for what I can about this plan, but since my only other option meeting our needs (relative centrality and loopability) was Withlacoochee, I am game for this trip plan if others agree.

We would need to do some coordinating--namely leaving at least one car at the far end so that we can shuttle back to the trail head at the end of the hike. I dont know this terrain too well, so I am eager to hear what people know. Other than that, we are close to calling this the location for the March 11-13 stroll.
    Hedgehogs! Why can't they just share the hedge?

FH3 REPORTS AND PICS http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66682
    FH4 In the Planning Now! Ask me for more......
    "Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    [QUOTE=Flackfizer;400540]
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post

I can't say for sure--but the simplest solution sounds like moving to Florida.
    You can sure get one heck of a deal. Just think of the gear you could buy with all the money you would save! mmmmmmm...
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    There is Hopkins Prairie info on this page. You gotta scroll a bit. If we can coordinate the carry ferry, we can make this work.

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southern/ocalcmp.htm

"Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flackfizer View Post
    I have been looking for what I can about this plan, but since my only other option meeting our needs (relative centrality and loopability) was Withlacoochee, I am game for this trip plan if others agree.

We would need to do some coordinating--namely leaving at least one car at the far end so that we can shuttle back to the trail head at the end of the hike. I dont know this terrain too well, so I am eager to hear what people know. Other than that, we are close to calling this the location for the March 11-13 stroll.
    My $.02...
    I hiked & overnighted from Juniper Springs - Hidden Pond and back last September. While it was a great time hiking, the scenery was a little to be desired, as I was hoping for more hammocks of trees, especially more oaks and such. Water refill at Hidden Pond not a problem. We did this hike as there & back following day.
    I'm the junior experienced hiker in the group I'm guessing, so what-ever is decided, I'm there.
    Never hiked or been to Withlacoochee. Always looking for new places to see & go.
    Most of all me, looking to get into the piney-woods trail and hang my hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    I am all for Withalacoochee/Richloam, even though I know it fairly well (as opposed to seeing some new place). If we head south from the Clay SInk Road Fire Tower trail head there is a fine stand of pines at about 7 miles on a 14 mile loop. Not much water near there, but we will have passed a creek and a spur of the Little Withla. a small ways back. I am all for pulling the trigger in this one on the grounds that it is easy to get to, it is a big loop (not transpo questions) and green lit on hammocks. I know that Richloam is not the most scenic place Florida has to offer, but the woods is the woods. Unlike the north stretch, this part is pretty empty and free of beer cans. Shall we ring the bell, or knock the gavel, or whatever we do to settle an issue...going once, going twice.....

"Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    Here is the map I use in Richloam.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...p?i=12502&c=18

"Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Anyplace is fine with me as I have not been to either.

In general, the idea of a loop sounds good. Especially, with so many of us making a substantial drive from different directions; I'd just like to park, get out and start hiking, rather than driving shuttle cars back and forth.

But, whatever the group wants I'll be happy just to be out there, hiking! (and trying out my new Switchback hammock, he-he)
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Sum-Phonenix, Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Flackfizer View Post
    I am all for Withalacoochee/Richloam, even though I know it fairly well (as opposed to seeing some new place). If we head south from the Clay SInk Road Fire Tower trail head there is a fine stand of pines at about 7 miles on a 14 mile loop. Not much water near there, but we will have passed a creek and a spur of the Little Withla. a small ways back. I am all for pulling the trigger in this one on the grounds that it is easy to get to, it is a big loop (not transpo questions) and green lit on hammocks. I know that Richloam is not the most scenic place Florida has to offer, but the woods is the woods. Unlike the north stretch, this part is pretty empty and free of beer cans. Shall we ring the bell, or knock the gavel, or whatever we do to settle an issue...going once, going twice.....
    Where is this in relation to Orlando? Also is the plan to meet on Friday and hang near the trailhead and then hike in on Saturday, hang, then hike out on Sunday.
    "Some people spend an entire
    lifetime wondering if they made
    a difference.The Marines don't
    have that problem."
    -PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Anyplace is fine with me as I have not been to either.

In general, the idea of a loop sounds good. Especially, with so many of us making a substantial drive from different directions; I'd just like to park, get out and start hiking, rather than driving shuttle cars back and forth.

But, whatever the group wants I'll be happy just to be out there, hiking! (and trying out my new Switchback hammock, he-he)
    Lol--you bought one you sly dog! We are all going to gather around to watch you sleep in it and see what we think. Will that be weird? Maybe a bit creepy. I am really curious to see it.

So, let's go for Richloam. It is easy to get to and is a park and hike 14 miles back to your car situation. Take a look at the map I posted. We will be heading back up the CLay Sink Road to Blue Blaze (at old SR 50) that connects to the FT. From there we head south cross over and then heading south (left off the road). as you can see. We will want to spur off to the river itself after Lacoochee Rd.. It gets a bit unclear at the bottom near May Place Rd but if we continue along recrossing the Lacoochee Rd and going up to the School Bus Rd, we will find a large pine stand where we can all ruin our tree straps! Then the next day we can pick any number of 5-7 miles paths back to the cars without ever having to backtrack. The roads are all sand tracks--none paved and the path goes through a range of terrains from hammock to pine stands, oak stands, and some really weird leafy places. I would rank this trip as easy to intermediate. Bearfinder, Sally Big Boots, and I made 8 miles one day between 10 am and 3 pm. If the weather is nice it will be wonderful. If it rains there will be standing water.

Deal?

"Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    Yes--I will head in on Friday and hang a mile or so off the trail head--all welcomed. We can then set off Sat morning and connect with the rest of the party at the water tower trailhead proper.

Richloam is north of Tampa--north of Dade City, more like Brooksville--I think it may be a slightly shorter drive from Orlando than is Ocala. I will post a map link.

"Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast