ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Loco Libre UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

Using a fleece bag like a pod?

I've seen the pea pods, and have a trip coming up this weekend, and was curious if i could use a fleece sleeping bag similar to this, zipped around my entire hammock. Would this be worth trying, in terms of warmth? I didn't know if a little bit of fleece cocooned around me would help at all for temps in the upper 20's....hope this was in the right section. Any info. would be awesome, thanks guys!

Hammock
    ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by 6_string_jams View Post
    I've seen the pea pods, and have a trip coming up this weekend, and was curious if i could use a fleece sleeping bag similar to this, zipped around my entire hammock. Would this be worth trying, in terms of warmth? I didn't know if a little bit of fleece cocooned around me would help at all for temps in the upper 20's....hope this was in the right section. Any info. would be awesome, thanks guys!
    I've been using 2 layers of fleece (for top & bottom quilts) and a sheet of tyvek for a windbreak on the bottom to pretty good effect down to 50*. This weekend it was low 40's the first night and I was very cold but managed to survive. The second night dropped to 29* and I froze my *** off with the same setup plus sleeping inside a 10 or 20* sleeping bag.

Hammock
    HH Exp Zip
    Tarp
    HH PU Hex Fly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Rope & Web
    Images
    I had planned on doing a similar set up for my last winter hang. I was lucky enough to get some DIY quilts from my wife for Christmas. So, I used them instead.

I did however do something similar with a rectangular sleeping bag the year before. The problem is that the bags are not wide enough to go over the ridge line and under the hammock once you are in the hammock. This is what I found when trying this on a HH Expedition. If you have another hammock you may be fine. My end result when I tried it was a bag that was 2/3 to 3/4 of the way zipped up. I was in the hammock on a thermarest CCF mat, with a "down alternative" throw blanket. I was plenty warm, though there were some cold spots. Temps were in the 30s as I recall.

BTW - My older son did use the fleece bag/CCF mat/sleeping bag system. He said his face was cold all night, but rest of body was OK. Temps in 20s. YMMV.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

-Randyman

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    You'll definitely need more insulation (a LOT more) than a fleece pod. Personally, I'd look into CCF pads (2) or CCF and reflectix... use the fleece inside your existing sleeping bag. I have a poncho liner underquilt that is warmer that a fleece sleeping bag, and it's only good to mid-40's. Most Fleece bags I've seen are 60-degree rated... It may break some wind, but a hammock sock would probably be warmer, if it's breezy..

You'll need to widen the CCF pad from shoulders to waist, either cut the width from another pad and duct-tape on, or use a wider piece of Reflectix. (it comes 4' wide and is more flexible than CCF.)

That said, I've never hung as low as 20... wear a hat!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    A fleece pod is not a bad idea though.
    Many of us pod users agreed long ago that a pod has a coccooning affect that is greater than the sum of its parts (loft/weight/size). The magic happens in that with a pod you can get a near zero fiddle factor draft free environment. Throw those blue ccf pads in the mix and you'll have a good recipe.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    A fleece pod is not a bad idea though.
    Many of us pod users agreed long ago that a pod has a coccooning affect that is greater than the sum of its parts (loft/weight/size). The magic happens in that with a pod you can get a near zero fiddle factor draft free environment. Throw those blue ccf pads in the mix and you'll have a good recipe.
    Good point! I might just have to get podded-up myself one night!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Loco Libre UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I appreciate the input fellas...i've got that fleece bag, my 0 degree mummy bag and a blue foam wal mart special pad. I'll have to let you guys know how it goes this weekend, because that's all i've got : ). A few trips ago, all i had was my 0 degree mummy bag and with temps in the upper 30's the only thing that cold was my face and my feet a little bit...there wasn't any wind that night though....

I took that exact same setup out with me on a 30 degree hang backin october. ended up not using the ccf pad, just bunched my polartec jacket under my *** and I was g2g. Still needs some tweaking however, for me at least, I have a hard time sleeping with my face covered or cold, go figure.

Hammock
    byer amazon, eno doublenest, nano 7
    Tarp
    maccat micro
    Insulation
    marmot pinnacle 15
    Suspension
    webs and biners
    My current setup consists of basically sliding my hammock through my mummy bag.

I use a Marmot 15 degree down bag, and it works for me! I don't get to be as stretched out as I usually am hammocking, but in relation to being in a bag on the ground, its very comparable. My feet still stay warm while being in the toebox, and I can cinch the draft collar to be real snug.

I wasn't ready to commit to going for top and under quilts, so this alternative does the trick.
    how do you get the forest ready for the party?
    ...you spruce it up!

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Loco Libre UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    for the record, on my trip this past weekend, low got down to 24, and i stayed cold most of the night, my feet stayed numb most of the night, and i got chills throughout the night....not very comfortable....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast