12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    With the gas prices skyrocketing, I am suggesting people make their purchases of the ferry ticker earlier. The prices of the ticket will likely rise.

Gargoyle sent out two emails with the details of the Thursday setup. If your interested in doing that make sure you connect Gargoyle. It sounds like fun and a great idea. I'm seriously considering it myself.
    I like big hammocks - I cannot like.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    I'm +1 right now, maybe +2.... Will know more with a five day weather forecast.... GF is not cold tolerant....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Booked my tickets today. The gal from the office said they may up the price $1.00 at the time of departure. Calling it a fuel surcharge.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp &amp; OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie

Talking

A fuel surcharge of $1.00 is a DEAL...go for it.
    If the weather prevents you from going to the island when you want to, the Lelanua Penninsula is a great place to explore...lighthouses, wineries, resturaunts, coffee shops, museums, souvenir and gear shops, locals to palaver with, and especially the mainland dunes to walk and look out over to the islands from.

It sounds as if you boyz will have a very good time...just be sure to dress properly for the ride over, don't overlook the box lunches offered in fishtown, the grocery store, breakfast and the coffee shops, and the smoked Chub is excellent fair.

It makes good sense to get to the ticket office when it first opens, and you can get your camping permits there besides your tickets and car parking pass also since a Ranger will be there to sell them. He or she stands behind the counter with the ticket personnel.

After you pick up your tickets and camping permits along with your "Parking permits" someone will need to go park the unloaded cars and return to the wharf. It doesn't take long but it is not easily done in 15 minutes, it is better to do it as soon as you can, so that you will all be able to take in all that Fishtown has to offer. There is a small bathroom in the parking lot, but it is small, and don't be wandering off...because when it becomes departure time that boat will leave!
    The boat is loaded first come first served, the first on will have their packs loaded first, and will be the last off-loaded at the island. But it doesn't really matter since you are going to N. Manitou and not S. Manitou, and besides you all have to go the in-briefing with ranger anyway when you first get to the island (so there is no advantage in hurrying down the dock to get to the trails).

Pay close attention to what they say and don't be afraid to ask any questions that you want, they are there to help and serve (they are wealth of information, especially when it comes to flaura & fauna. The rangers are actually great people to deal with, I have always found them to be a
    pleasure to work with.

You will be arriving during a very good time as far as bird migration and springtime flowers are concerned (be sure to take a pencil and ask the ranger for your tree, flower, and bird spotting lists). Remember the Manitou islands experience a maritime climate, and therefore things grow very well there. If the moon phase is correct the star gazing at night is excellent from anywhere, but especially the beach. If the light pollution (which is very dim indeed) is not bad you will be able to observe the "Milky Way", which is a sight to behold! Listen for the "Loons" at night. And by all means go for a "Night-hike", you won't be sorry. Things don't have to end at the campfire just because it is dark. There is absolutely nothing on the island to be afraid of (it is an island), except for the poison ivy, and if you are prepared for it, you have nothing to worry about.

I believe you can get a copy of the small historical/information booklet (with small map and everything) at the ticket office. There use to be one for the North island and one for the South island...it makes for very good reading on your trip over to the island.

And last but not least....like Gargoyle already said....the boat is off loaded quickly and then gone in a very short time....so don't leave anything on the boat...like your camera, or your food. LOL

Have fun,
    Barefoot Child
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Just called and booked my ticket. My backpack is partially packed and I have my new Ogee tarp to keep me dry. Life is good.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by otter46544 View Post
    Just called and booked my ticket. My backpack is partially packed and I have my new Ogee tarp to keep me dry. Life is good.
    I'll be sporting my new GargoyleGear Fogee.....it's the Ogee's little tiny brother.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    :scared: poison ivy...just reading about it i start itching!!!

i had great times on manitou....too bad am freaking too far away
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    You all have fun now!!! Gas prices are whats keeping me away.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    You all have fun now!!! Gas prices are whats keeping me away.
    I'm sure someone on that side of the state would make room for you if you really wanted to go.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Slings/Buckles
    I was going to try to hitch a ride with SR, but he may be +2 and space would be limited. I could drive and Opie could ride up with me since we live in the same city. My car could probably get us up there and back on 1 tank so gas wouldn't be too bad.
    "Workin' on mysteries without any clues" - Bob Seger

• + New Posts
  • Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast