WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

UQ Attachment Loops for WBBB

Just wondering if anyone has sewed any UQ attachment loops to their WBBB, or really any other hammock for that matter. I'm 5' 7" tall and like to hang my blackbird with a lot of slack, and I do mean a lot. With my height, this lets me lay on a really steep diagonal with a really flat lie.

The problem is that my UQ's - A MMG Shamu and a Jacks R Better Mt Washington 3 - both hang from the gathered ends. When I lay in the steep diagonal, I end up with either my feet or head laying past the side edges of the UQ, with a lot of the UQ warmth being wasted at the tops and bottoms of the hammock.

What I'm thinking is that maybe I can sew in a tab above where my head is on the zipper side and below where my feet are on the non-zipper side (footbox) and try to run the UQ on more of a diagonal as well so that all of me can enjoy the UQ's warm, happy goodness.

With me being 67", the Shamu 69" and the Mt Washington 77", I can't help but think that I should be able to optimize the coverage. . .

Has anyone tried to do this or have any ideas why this will or won't work?

SN

Hammock
    Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY or AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie
    Don't know if this helps or not, but... I never could get my UQ to hang right using the shock-cord connected all the way up to the gathered ends. Too long, too loose, always shifting around.

So... I sewed loops made of webbing with a "snap-button" directly on the sides of my hammock. I did this in 4 places (2 pair) so that the UQ can be set high or low. (It could also be set on a diagonal, which I plan to try next time out.) The "high" setting usually works just fine for my needs. There is a short (~6") loop of shock cord between the loops on the UQ and the loops on the hammock.

I find not only does it stay in place better length-wise, this also keeps the UQ in better position up on the sides instead of slipping down towards the bottom. It's essentially locked in place with just enough shock cord to prevent too much tension.

jw

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think that I'm with you except for the "snap button" part. Is that an actual snap or some kind of toggle?

Feeling a little dense today. . .

Thanks for the reply, and if you had any photos, that would be great!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Noah 9/Superfly
    Insulation
    Human
    Suspension
    D. Buckles/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by JWinNC View Post
    So... I sewed loops made of webbing with a "snap-button" directly on the sides of my hammock. I did this in 4 places (2 pair) so that the UQ can be set high or low. (It could also be set on a diagonal, which I plan to try next time out.) The "high" setting usually works just fine for my needs. There is a short (~6") loop of shock cord between the loops on the UQ and the loops on the hammock.
    Any photos?

Hammock
    Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY or AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie
    Don't have any photos handy. In case it didn't work I wanted as little impact on the gear as possible. The UQ already had loops at each corner, so all I needed were loops on the hammock so I could put a small loop of shock cord in between.

I needed the loop to open and close to "catch" the loop of shock cord so I took a piece of 1" webbing about 4" long... then added a button-snap on the ends, female one side and male on the other. So the webbing snaps together to form a small loop. The snap-buttons are the hammer-on type you find in the hardware store near the hammer-on grommets.

Then I took some strong thread and sewed the male end to the side of the hammock... close the snap and you have a small loop. Being able to open and close the loop means I do not need any other connector to attach the UQ. I just snap the loop around the short loop of shock cord that is already tied through the loop on the UQ.

Think of it like this:

The existing loop on the corner of the UQ attaches to a short loop of shock-cord. The loop of shock-cord goes into the "snap-loop" on the side of the hammock.

The corners of the UQ are now set... they can only move the small amount that the shock cord allows. I can still adjust the shock cord that runs through the UQ across, perpendicular from the corners if I need to loosen or tighten the fit, but the overall position of the UQ is locked where I want it.

Doing it this way occurred to me after a couple of cold nights waking up and wondering "where is my UQ?"

I can't promise it would work for anyone other than me.

Hammock
    Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY or AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
    Any photos?
    No photos. I'll make a note to myself to take some.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Pan from JRB advises using large buttons sewn on the seem of a WBBB where the grosgrain loops corespond to the UQ. I haven't tried it yet but I will soon.

• + New Posts