WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

A weird tarp question.

I’m in need of a new tarp set-up for base camp. This isn’t for backpacking, so weight isn’t really a huge issue. I am a little pressed for space, so the normal tarp that’s accommodating for a small chili feed benefit is out of the question. It will need to house about 6 people in chairs with a very small REI roll-up table. I’m sure we will end up just playing cards or cooking a large camp meal in it, but I would like for it to keep driving rain and snow out.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Morg View Post
    I’m in need of a new tarp set-up for base camp. This isn’t for backpacking, so weight isn’t really a huge issue. I am a little pressed for space, so the normal tarp that’s accommodating for a small chili feed benefit is out of the question. It will need to house about 6 people in chairs with a very small REI roll-up table. I’m sure we will end up just playing cards or cooking a large camp meal in it, but I would like for it to keep driving rain and snow out.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    You could contact these guys
    http://www.snowtrekkertents.com/
    Last edited by OutandBack; 02-01-2011 at 11:06.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

There are no weird tarps!

Just weird tarp users.

Seriously though, Dan Cooke makes some of the finest flat tarps you can imagine. Custom colors as well. Add a couple of Kelty adjustable poles and you have a rig that has versatility limited only by your imagination. A 15x16 ought to cover what you have described.

Check out the Tundra Tarps at:

http://cookecustomsewing.com/

Jim
    Owner of 2 Tundra tarps (10x10 and 15x15)

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I just got a 12 X 15 OES tarp for use as our river kitchen tarp for my whitewater rafting trips. We were using a 12 X 12 Kelty Noah, and needed for room. This tarp will handle a river kitchen (kitchen box, stove, prep table), plus a card table, chairs, 4-6 humans in the chairs, and one dog. This tarp packs down to about the size of a football. We use MSR tarps for larger groups, but they are much bulkier & heavier.
    KJ

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Another opinion on my part:

Many of my canoeing friends have "wing" tarps (Kelty, MSR etc). Very simple to set up, but IMO they do not offer the best weather coverage per square foot. Flat tarps require more guylines & staking and sometimes a lot of creativity to set, but are more adaptable to various locations and sets.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I would love to have a larger version of the superfly. Maybe 12’ x 14-16’ with the doors. That sure would keep the driving wind, rain, and snow out. My budget for the tarp would be about 300 bones MAX!. This would include ridgeline setup, guy lines, and stakes. So far a custom set up is the only thing I can find.

Outandback, those are nice set-ups for sure, just not quite down my alley for a quick base camp.

Jsaults, that looks like it could be an idea. I may check my local canvas shop just down the road to see what they can build. I would love for the tarp to set me back less than 4 or 5 pounds, and take up about the same space as a large football give or take a few inches.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The larger you go, the better sil nylon looks, and the worse canvas looks (this coming from a guy that digs canvas). Maybe one of our tarp makers can stitch something up for you.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

No better than Hilleberg

http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/altai/altai.php

I have two Hilleberg tents Nallo and Staika. They never fail. All who have used Hilleberg tents say that the biggest problem in buying tent is which one of all the models from Hilleberg to choose, but on the other hand no need to check any other manufacturer.

But the complete version (little heavier XP fabric) with guy lines, pegs, poles and tarp will cost 645$, so it doubles Your budget. But trust me if the format suits for Your purpose You will not regret getting Hilleberg product.
    Last edited by voivalin; 02-02-2011 at 03:14.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

D-Morg:

Dan Cooke is making all of his tarps from sil-nylon as I recall. Quite light even for a 15x15.

The details of his tarps are a result of many years of wilderness experience. All edges are finished in nylon tape, there are ZERO grommets - all tie-outs are via nylon tape loops. There are intermediate loops around the perimeter, and also on the interior seams. There is a center reinforcement patch for a pole.

My tarp has withstood ferocious winds in the BWCA and on the shore of Lake Erie and never popped a stitch. Your local canvas shop may be good, but I doubt that they have the experience that Dan Cooke has!

Jim
    No, I am not sponsored by CCS, but am open to the idea (hint to Dan!)

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    Many of my canoeing friends have "wing" tarps (Kelty, MSR etc). Very simple to set up, but IMO they do not offer the best weather coverage per square foot. Flat tarps require more guylines & staking and sometimes a lot of creativity to set, but are more adaptable to various locations and sets.

Just my $0.02.

Jim
    We use the MSR Outfitter Wing tarp on river trips with larger groups. Very nice tarp, but also much heavier, much bulkier, and more expensive.
    I'm sticking with my 12X 15 OES cat cut tarp..... around 3-4 pounds with all the gear, packs small, and cost $200.
    KJ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast