Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrichm View Post
    Hey Shug,
    I've always wondered, how is the durability of reflectix as a sit pad and butt/foot warmer in the hammock. How often are you having to replace it? Thanks in advance!
    Once or twice a year.......
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by FontanaHorseman View Post
    Do you use it inside the layers of a double hammock then the underquilt below?

Or do you hand the underquilt and make a holder for the reflectex to nest outside that?

I'm confused...not the first or last time...
    IMO it needs to be close to your body. In the hammock with you or between your dual layer. It needs to reflect your body heat to keep you warm so if your body is not touching it I don't see how it could do much good. I have always used it this way with success. And I have only used it below 35°.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I use it as a sit pad (doubled) and below my legs. I've used a whole roll of this stuff in my RV when winter camping -- it goes in every window. Makes a HUGE difference.

If you're looking for less than a whole roll, AHE had it, and I found it at my local RV store. They sold it 4' wide by the foot...

Great stuff. I also use a scrap as a knee pad when cutting fabric laying on the tile floor.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

AHE is 16" by the foot.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Once or twice a year.......
    I believe Bear Grylls wore a native american 'breechclout'. Thought alot about this one.

This thread is funny because I've been a manager at lowes for three years and I walk past this stuff everyday and have thought about how to use it.

God bless you... everyone!!
    God let me be the man that my dog thinks I am

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    factory
    Insulation
    Still researching
    Suspension
    factory
    If you know anyone that has the Deep Jungle and able to use their bubble Pad as a template the sizing is perfect for the Asm Hennesy Hamock.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i use to use this stuff too...
    i found my old pad in the basement a few months back when i was digging around i made one with wings and i glued fleece to the one side ..
    it worked good for what it was but its bulky and if your a warm sleeper you might have some condensation problems
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Lowes, hung diag
    Insulation
    Reflectix&SleepBag
    Suspension
    My own design :)
    New hanger here. This past summer I used reflectix (4' long, cut about as wide as my hips) in the space between layers in my WBBB. I put it under a sleeping bag (40*f) I had in there, so it was (in order of me to outside under me) body, clothes, inner floor, sleeping bag, reflectix sheet, outer floor, open air, no doors on tarp. I was ok down to about 55*f in some gusting overnight air. I guess I'm a cold sleeper

I found there was condensation on the underside of the sleeping bag (the side touching the reflectix) the whole length of the reflectix sheet. This coming summer I plan on hacking this sheet up into 3rds to allow gaps, like Jsaults was saying. I'm hoping (like he is) that this will allow for adequate moisture exodus.

Trick with this stuff, based on what I've read, is that it works best with an air gap between it and the space its trying to insulate. Basically its a literal mirror -- heat in the form of infrared light gets reflected back at the heat source, but what that really means is that its heating up the space between the body (in our case) and the side of the reflectix that's facing your body. So you have to have some kind of gap -- which unfortunately leads to a tendency for moisture accumulation in whatever that thing is. Since you can't trust physics to make this space for you even in a double-floor hammock, you've got to add something, and whatever it is has to have pockets of air in it, and unless its more ccf or other type of bubble-stuff, that means it'll get soggy if its operating efficiently (more moisture released = more heat released too ) In the same way, the larger the space between you and it, the more work it has to do to heat up that airspace, so the less efficient it is there too. One last bit about durability, the more tarnished the shiny metallic surface, the poorer the material -- so the more worn it gets the less it will perform. Having said that, I think its fairly sturdy for this use, since you're not sliding it around on high-friction surfaces, and mine rolls up fairly nice with a cord tie. I'm not a hiker (not yet at least... my first and last hike was the Franconian Notch Loop in one day, so I have no appetite left for any other 'hills' ) but I see this being useable for a while with my rate of about once every other weekend or so hangin'.

So I think allowing gaps by using multiple sheets of this stuff would be useful. If multiple sheets don't work, I'll cut holes! How many gaps or holes before it becomes ineffective at radiating heat back to you is a question for someone that knows the math of this stuff and doesn't just read about it online The stuff can be very rewarding I think pound-for-effect if you find that happy medium between gaps, distance between it and your body, and what you use to create that air gap between you and it.

I hope the details I provided are a useful account of my experiences with this material. I like it, and will continue to use it until I find something better for the cost and size-for-effectiveness.

Luck!

GLA

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I realize this is an older thread, but the subject is right up the line of something I was considering.

I've got an HH Explorer Deluxe, and the HHSS.

I was wondering if making a pad out of this and placing it in the HHSS in the same space you would the space blanket (above the OCF pad, below the hammock) would work?

Quieter? Better insulation/lower temps possible?

Thoughts?

I like the idea of using something quieter/more effective/more reusable than a space blanket. Pack space isn't a major issue.

Any reason why this wouldn't work, or would be a bad idea?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123