Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Maybe it's an unfortunate negative consequence of the comfort of sleeping in a hammock? You sleep so soundly and comfy that you don't toss and turn like you do on the ground..... or even in a regular bed. Prolonged pressure on a boney area (the heal) can eventually cause pain and decreased circulation to this area. Yes..... you guessed it..... I'm a nurse. I get heel pressure in bed sometimes. The figure 4 position seems to help. I've also found that a semi-frog legged position helps as well in my hammock. Lots of folks like a pillow under their knees to help with heel and calf pressure.
    KJ

Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've also had repeated heel pain. I've had plantar fascitis after injuring one foot playing raquetball so often need extra inserts for heel cushion in boots.

To echo the other replies, I've used a lightly inflated thermarest sit pad under one heel and figure 4 position for the other heel. I also fiddle with the hammock hang to make sure the feet are higher.

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    I sure did!

My solution (in addition to other issues) was the Bridge from JRB.

Great hammock.
    I will be ordering mine in 2 days
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    I experienced burning heel pain 2 nights in a row earlier this month doing backyard testing below zero. When I got up to go to work, stepped on the kitchen floor in stocking feet, they were sooo sore!. It happened again the next morning, and when I reached down and rubbed my heels, they were ICE COLD! Once they warmed up the pain dissipated. I recalled Shug's video, and the next few nights I placed a 1/8" foam pad (about 18 x 24") in the foot box between the layers of the WBBB. No more problems since. Whether this was due to cold or pressure or both, I don't know for sure. I have lately been raising the foot end to avoid sliding down as well.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I have the same problem at times and find it worse in the colder weather .
    I think it is caused by one of three things or combation;
    -Cold
    -Pressure points ( reduces circulation)
    -Planter fascitis (contraction of foot ligments causing inflamation)

I have woke up in the deep cold from the pain in my heels when in the hammock. I suffer with cold feet and planter fascitis.
    So the cure I found is taking turning a summer weight bag in to it self to make a foot bag for insulation and cusioning the feet.
    Wearing foot braces to keep my foot from hyper-extending. Problem cured !

I think the support under the knees would help also. Because when laying in a hammock all your ligments
    are hyper-extended running from the back of the leg to the foot.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    Maybe it's an unfortunate negative consequence of the comfort of sleeping in a hammock? You sleep so soundly and comfy that you don't toss and turn like you do on the ground..... or even in a regular bed. Prolonged pressure on a boney area (the heal) can eventually cause pain and decreased circulation to this area. Yes..... you guessed it..... I'm a nurse. I get heel pressure in bed sometimes. The figure 4 position seems to help. I've also found that a semi-frog legged position helps as well in my hammock. Lots of folks like a pillow under their knees to help with heel and calf pressure.
    KJ
    It is an unfortunate negative consequence, but it is not from being still... It is from your feet being elevated and the weight of your legs being primarily focused on your heels... Same cause as the oft discussed hyper extended knee issue...Either rig around the problem with something under the legs, (clothes bag, there goes your pillow)....

Or... Do as Funny Money suggests and get a bridge, which is really flat and not just "almost flat".

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    It bothers me, not so much from the weight on my heels as from my heels being wedged against each other by the hammock. I've found that oftentimes I can relieve this pressure by a small shift in the position of my upper body toward the center of the hammock...still diagonal, just not so extreme.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12