Question Hammock newbie on Safari

Hi all,

I have had a Safari Deluxe for the best part of 5 years, and as yet it has not been used Shocking I know, I bought it with the intention of making good use of it but various things got in the way.

Since then I have moved on a bit and am now involved with scouts as a ASL and have an oppertunity to get out and use it.

The question is, how should I trick it out Money unfortunately is an issue, and I'm also lofty and well rounded, that is to say im a bit of a fat ba$!@£d hence picking the deluxe in the first place.

I have had a look through this forum, but there is an incredibly large amount of info to take in...

Images
    First off, Welcome! Were just a bunch of nuts that gather at the base of trees with our hammocks here!

A good place to start is Shug's videos. This one is for Noobs: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ls&videoid=189

There are many other great videos that talk about Tarps, etc... that are extremely helpful.

Prof. Hammock (Grizz Adams) has a great series too, starting with http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ils&videoid=99

Enjoy!

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    The VERY first thing you need to do, IMHO, is to upgrade the suspension. Easily accomplished on a budget. My choice is the JRB all-in-one hammock suspension system. You can find it here: JRB complete suspension system 5.75 oz and has everything you need.

If you find you do not like the bottom entry on the Safari you can fix that as well. My second recommendation is to get a zipper mod for the ol' girl. 2Q and ZQ are the go-to vendors for these: 2QZQ Hennessy mods Lots of pictures here to see of the mods. And I hear the quality is such that you can't tell it didn't come from the factory with them this way.

You also need to start thinking (and saving) for a good underquilt. But until then you can easily build a Speer Segmented Pad Extender (SPE for short). This will allow you to use warm, cheap closed cell foam (CCF) like the military pads, Wal-Mart blue pads or even inflatable pads you already have for insulation. There are many iterations of the SPE, find a build you like and copy it. I used fleece on the body of mine and rip-stop on the wings and it works great! Just Jeff has a kind of 'pad use history' on his site, it includes the SPE as well. Click here to read all about it!

For well under $200 you can have a tricked out Hennessy Safari that ALL your scouts will be wanting to ride in! And you will be warm to about freezing with minimal pads.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    The VERY first thing you need to do, IMHO, is to upgrade the suspension. Easily accomplished on a budget. My choice is the JRB all-in-one hammock suspension system. You can find it here: JRB complete suspension system 5.75 oz and has everything you need.

If you find you do not like the bottom entry on the Safari you can fix that as well. My second recommendation is to get a zipper mod for the ol' girl. 2Q and ZQ are the go-to vendors for these: 2QZQ Hennessy mods Lots of pictures here to see of the mods. And I hear the quality is such that you can't tell it didn't come from the factory with them this way.

You also need to start thinking (and saving) for a good underquilt. But until then you can easily build a Speer Segmented Pad Extender (SPE for short). This will allow you to use warm, cheap closed cell foam (CCF) like the military pads, Wal-Mart blue pads or even inflatable pads you already have for insulation. There are many iterations of the SPE, find a build you like and copy it. I used fleece on the body of mine and rip-stop on the wings and it works great! Just Jeff has a kind of 'pad use history' on his site, it includes the SPE as well. Click here to read all about it!

For well under $200 you can have a tricked out Hennessy Safari that ALL your scouts will be wanting to ride in! And you will be warm to about freezing with minimal pads.
    Should have mentioned im uk based, but will definitely look at the SPE, a cold arse and back had been of some worry, and see about the suspension

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    No worries, more and more UK members everyday; I am sure they can direct you to the right place to source the materials for these upgrades. All of them can be do it yourself, or at least at the direction of a good seamstress/tailor.

Don't let a little thing like the Atlantic get in your way!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post

You also need to start thinking (and saving) for a good underquilt. But until then you can easily build a Speer Segmented Pad Extender (SPE for short). ...........
    There is one for sale here!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27755

The Safari is definitely one of the most- maybe the most- comfortable hammocks I have used!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    There is one for sale here!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27755

The Safari is definitely one of the most- maybe the most- comfortable hammocks I have used!
    Thanks for the link but I was a bit late to it, I think I would quite like to have a go at making one myself though

Hammock
    WBBB1.1dbl
    Suspension
    Whoopsie + tree h
    my question is wether to sell the old and get a new Deep Jungle or mod the old, tough choice

• + New Posts