Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    I was on the AT just south of Chattahoochee Gap the night before last and experienced a new low of 7.7*. The day time temps never got above the low 20's. I was in my HH Clone with overcover, 3" baffle RMS Clone and JRB Nest below me, REI 20* bag and Neat Sheet weathershield somewhat over me. I had a 1" 3/4 length UL Thermarest with me but was trying it out with out it. All was warm except my feet because they were on the windward end of the hammock. I ended up opening the Thermarest and using from my butt down to me feet. My feet did eventually warm up but I don't think the Thermarest had anything to do with it. I slept warm except for the several bio breaks during the night.

There was a nice light blanket of snow on the ground and the only tracks were mine and the animals.

I had planned on staying out one more night hiking from Unicoi Gap to Neel's Gap but I didn't take appropriate actions to keep my water bottles from freezing up. I had to bail out when I got the Rd. 348. My prayers for a ride were answered. Little did I know that there were road blocks on thru traffic on that road so I wasn't likely to get a ride and the snow plow operators didn't stop. A car of 3 retirees was following their GPS over that road to go to their RV resort. When they got to to road block they decided to go around it. I'm so happy they did. They really didn't have room for me but the 2 ladies managed to squeeze together in half of the back seat so I could sit and hold my in the front seat. It was uncomfortably tight for all of us but the driver but I was very thankful and appreciative of the ride. It was closer to go to their final destination first so we went there and unloaded them. Then the gentleman graciously took me to my truck at Neel's Gap. I will forever be thankful.
    Wish I could have joined you. Would have broken my record by a few degrees. Too bad about the missing hiker on Blood Mtn. Sounds like she got abducted and is not on the mtn.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Hogn8r,
    The flaps are on for good, sewed right to the tarp. I am going up north for 2 or 3 nights on Tuesday or Wednesday. Waiting for it to get colder as we warmed up today to 30o. With those flaps I feel good about some c-c-cold. Adding a hammock sock (am working on that tonight) I feel I can definitely go sub-0. That's what I am looking for! Could go to ground but I really like that hammock comfort.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    ENO Double (only one I have)
    Tarp
    Speer WT
    Insulation
    Snugfit

18 for me

I feed pretty good, did 18 F last Thursday night, used 0.5 blue pad, Granddads USMC down bag, fleece long handles and 200 fleece top, Tobauggin and hot water bottle. Was a litte cool around 4:30 when I woke and needed a nature break but I knew if I got out I was going inside. So I stuck it out to 6:00. That first cup of coffe was fine.

Very glad to hear cheap and comfortable in the same message.

I've gotten down to 15F in snow hangin' in a hammock. I did not have proper winter clothes then so it was more of a survival test than a camping trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234