Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SS pad thought

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverlion View Post
    I tried the foil wrapped bubble stuff this past weekend. My butt never got warm. I used it in conjunction with the OCF pad. Fail. I went right back to the E-blanket and immediately warmed up. As far as having it stay put, I wrap the edges around the OCF and never had an issue.
    OK, interesting! By E-blanket, is that a space blanket? EMS maybe?

That's what I do, wrap it around the edges. It stays where I need it well enough. Of course, these days I don't have the net anymore. So I can just reach out and adjust anything as needed.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Try 2 SBs

I use 2 Space Blankets sideways. Not sure how many extra grams that means but it works good for me.

Hope it helps.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    The windshield reflector I have is foil wrapped bubble stuff. no cardboard. I dunno. Call me simple. I'll just stick with the SB. Ok, I lied. I'll still try other things as the y come along. I just can't stop!
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    OK, so after reading through this thread, I'm still left with a bit of confusion.

When Tom did his test, it doesn't appear that he did it WITH the OCF pad that comes with the HHSS.

It sounds like this was part of his research that led to the HHSS development.

Has anyone tried using Reflectix WITH the OCF pad that comes with the HHSS, in place of the SB?

I'm curious if this would provide a better insulation plan than the OCF + SB solution, just a little more weight/bulk.

Or, I have one of the reflective windshield covers that has a very thin layer (<1/4 in thick) of foam that I'd also like to try in place of the SB.

Bottom line is that the SB is loud and gets on my nerves. I'd like to replace it with something that makes less noise when I toss and turn. Added insulation would be a definite plus.

Thoughts?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    OK, so after reading through this thread, I'm still left with a bit of confusion.

When Tom did his test, it doesn't appear that he did it WITH the OCF pad that comes with the HHSS.

It sounds like this was part of his research that led to the HHSS development.

Has anyone tried using Reflectix WITH the OCF pad that comes with the HHSS, in place of the SB?

I'm curious if this would provide a better insulation plan than the OCF + SB solution, just a little more weight/bulk.

Or, I have one of the reflective windshield covers that has a very thin layer (<1/4 in thick) of foam that I'd also like to try in place of the SB.

Bottom line is that the SB is loud and gets on my nerves. I'd like to replace it with something that makes less noise when I toss and turn. Added insulation would be a definite plus.

Thoughts?
    See post #7 above, by Silverlion. Sounds to me like he tried to replace the SB with a windshield reflector pad with poor results.

When I put a WM SB inside the SS, it is quite noisy, unlike a Heatsheet. But, I have never heard a sound from either once I am in the hammock.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    My whopping ONE NIGHT's worth of experience (LOL at myself! ) was different.

When my son and I did our first campout with the hammocks and HHSS, we both could hear ourselves and each other shifting around...the space blankets in our case were really loud. It kinda drove me crazy.

Now...it could be that it was because they were brand new, and maybe our next night of camping will be different. I'll know in a few weeks when we'll get another couple of nights.

Part of the issue might just be that we're both very light sleepers and tend to shift around a lot, where someone who sleeps soundly and doesn't shift much might not have any reason for the SB to make much noise.

One way or another...we'll get it sorted out!

Images
    Next time I am in a HHSS, I will have to specifically listen for the SB and see if I can hear it. I started with a Wal-mart SB and switched to a Heatsheet a couple of years later, It has been 4 years now, and I don't ever remember being aware of the sound of either. The WM sb was very noisy while getting it placed on top of the HH pad, but I don't remember hearing it after that.

But, all of mine are years old and well worn. And maybe I was tired from hiking and just don't notice it, or maybe I just ignore it. But I am going to pay attention in the future, though it will have to be with a Heatsheet, as that is what I use now.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Anyone ever laminate the space Blanket to the foam?
    maybe with a lite flexible glue?

Just an idea.

I sewed a space-blanked around the foam rather than using glue...It worked very well!

I wrote up some basic instructions at:
    http://www.speedycat.com/~jareth/supershelter.html

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jareth.atian View Post
    I sewed a space-blanked around the foam rather than using glue...It worked very well!

I wrote up some basic instructions at:
    http://www.speedycat.com/~jareth/supershelter.html
    thats an aweasome idea man!
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast