Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Well, I got the tripod part done....but unfortunately, I'm currently having issues with the ridgepole, as I tried the EMT conduit idea...but don't have any feasible way to drill holes to put bolts through to stop the smaller diameter middle pipe from sliding around. I'm likely just going to go back for fence posts, now that I know what I'm looking for.

Turtlelady, two questions -- what kind of cord are you using for holding the ridgepole to the tripods? I have one kind that's very stiff and doesn't like holding knots, or I have some paracord.

The other question is how the two-part aluminum posts you're using are holding up? I love the idea of repurposing the aluminum posts from my old uber-tent (or just getting some extra ones).

Also, has anyone tried hanging a larger hammock, like an HH Explorer? Was 5-feet long enough for the tripod poles? Or did you end up needing longer ones to not be sitting on the ground? How far apart did you end up setting the tripods?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow & Poenix
    Suspension
    Web Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Have to paint it brown in a couple of weeks...
    hahaha!!! I actually thought about that!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Paint it with textured paint. That might stop the rope from sliding.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Throkda -- I have used para cord tripled, so that the pole actually is hanging in six loops of paracord at each tri-pod by the time I fold the coil of cord over the lashings. It will need to hang @ 8" below the lashings to clear the legs so the starting loop of cord is @32" x3 + knot. The orange cord in the recent photos with my aluminum poles is pretty 5mm climbing accessory cord I scrounged from my husband's stash of rock climbing gear! (Sh! Husbands think we don't know about their secret stashes.) Be sure to take pics for us.

So far, after two nights of undisturbed sleep there seems to be no stretching of the aluminum at the joints or bowing of the legs in my two part poles.

Zukiguy-- Give that pool cleaning pole a try, but remember: hang no higher than you are willing to fall. I have really pushed my experimenting with various materials but sometimes I have stacked couch cushions under me for the trials. Watch for bowing. Confession time (sorry, no pics): with one extreme experiment using the usually dependable chain link fence top rail, I managed to bow and/or fold it to failure and took a fall that really surprised me. I was trying to place the tri-pods as close together as the slant of the hammock would allow. The rail and the hammock suspension attachment point extended beyond the tri-pod lashings/pole suspension loop by maybe 12". Lever arm + compression = OOOPS!

Bchboy-- My cure for that sliding on the ridgepole is a three wrap prussic. I settled on longish loops @20" of para cord to tie a three wrap prussic knot with a 1/2"diameter wooden dowel toggle attached with a larkshead. This allows me to adjust easily for various hammocks. That extra inch one way or the other can make big comfort differences.

Pedro: Love the chair idea. I may make one especially for my cat! She deserves a treat as she has been so good about being banned from my hammock.

Jsaults: That site you posted on the other bamboo tri-pods without a ridgepole thread about the MGS fiber glass poles was very interesting. They seem to encourage creative use of their products.

It might be instructional to give them a call to see what diameter pole they would recommend for our applications. The smaller diameter stuff seems fairly reasonably priced, but larger diameter is pretty pricey. If we could get a design ironed out and prototyped, we might be able to make a group buy that would be interesting. Their bundle cutting policy seems very cheap. I would love to go dumpster diving behind their facility!

It is fun to read of so many experiments with the tri-pods and to see where creative minds leap. Keep 'em coming!

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Well, it looks like I may be out of luck for right now. I tried doing the electrical conduit thin that treeslayer did -- I got the tripods put together okay (although I was having issues with the lashing slipping). I tried using the 1/2" pole centered between two 3/4" inch poles like he did, but sadly, even before my full weight was in the hammock, it was bowing inward badly. I tried doing the fence post thing, but all they had was 10.5-foot long ones...and Home Depot won't cut them for me, nor do I have any workshop tools at my disposal to try and do my own,

Where did you go to get the fence poles you're using, Turtlelady? Did you just get short ones to start with, or did you get a longer one cut?

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    I happened to buy my pole at Lowe's. I bought full length and cut it with a hack saw. I operate pretty low tech if I am doing the work myself! When I can sweet talk some tool guy into helping,well. . .

BTW, Lowe's has a policy of selling damaged poles for 50% off. Often you can find poles that are only dinged a little and won't affect what we are doing with them, or that can have the dinged part cut out without ruining it, if it is close to where you will make your cut anyway.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images

Shumway's 2x2 version

I made a TL Twin Tripod stand tonight. My version is made from 2x2 lumber and the traditional fence top rail. Lashings and leg limiter cords are paracord, rail hang loops are 7/64 Amsteel continuous loops, and the hammock suspension prussiks are some crappy old nylon rope I had laying around. I bought 8' lengths of 2x2 and left them full length for testing. I didn't want to cut them and find out my hammock hangs too low. I did the first test with the lashings at 5' from the leg ends. That is about perfect. My WBBB hangs with the ridge line a little loose. It's still tight enough to hold the netting off me but not what I accustomed to when hanging from trees.
    Now if I can figure out how to get some pictures uploaded I'll show off this thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shumway; 06-22-2011 at 00:42. Reason: Adding pictures

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow & Poenix
    Suspension
    Web Strap
    The 2/2 tripods look real good, that was my next choice if I couldn't find bamboo. BTW Shumway and you have a great looking backyard.
    I am in the midst of experimenting with the perfect tripod leg height for me and I think it will be about 6 feet or so and I have my ridge line stretched just about the full 10' of the fence rail and it is just about perfect.

JimT

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Lookin good shumway! How much did it end up costing you?

And you do have a great looking yard.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Since I already had the various cordage, I only had to buy the wood and steel. It was about $27 at Lowes.
    I'm trying to figure out a better method of hanging the hammock from the fence rail. My prussik was messy, and there really isn't a good loop at the hammock end. I'm considering a larger prussik made with a continuous loop which can larks head directly to the hammock end.

Thanks for the yard compliments. My girlfriend will be happy to hear that. She wants a new house but finding any with yards even close is pretty tough. Looking makes us like this place more

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 85 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast