Page 22 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    okay I'm going to try and explain what I did to my stand...

Dis is what happened.

I didn't really like how the legs were free to slip around if they so choose to. So I brought my stand with me to my mums house a few weeks ago, and when my grandpa showed up(they live in my parents back yard in the summer... weird I know) we got talking about it and this is what he came up with.

He used a biscuit cutter on the dowels at first we thought that he would need a cut on the thirds of the dowel... but we botched that and it was actually on the 6ths(You'll see the mistake in a few pictures...

then we cut some slots into 3 smaller dowels and glued some biscuits into them

then we let it dry for a few hours and I made a whoopie sling type thing to keep the dowels from sliding apart.

All of the dowels are interchangeable and come out easily. It feels much sturdier on a slick floor

I'm lovin it. Feel free to ask questions because I know this doesn't make tons of sense, my brain just isn't working right now...

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Nice work!

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Looks real good Qchan Love the whoopie thingy!
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Awww man! Now I feel the need to do further mods to mine. Just when I thought it was done. I not only love the dowel "spreader bars" but I love that flux capacitor looking whoopie thingy you have as a leg spread limiter.

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Quote Originally Posted by shumway View Post
    Awww man! Now I feel the need to do further mods to mine. Just when I thought it was done. I not only love the dowel "spreader bars" but I love that flux capacitor looking whoopie thingy you have as a leg spread limiter.

Yeah... sometimes when I'm napping I go back to the future.

Oh wait, those are just dreams.

Thanks everyone

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    QChan, one of these stand is in my near future now that I'm fulltiming. When you mentioned the stand sliding around it left me wondering if you had any caps on the ends of the legs. The dowels look to be 1 1/4" dia., crutch tips come in various sizes and may keep them from sliding as much.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Looks gd, QChan! (and grandpa!) I was thinking about the same thing. The tripods not only want to spread out, they also have an annoying (and painful!) habit of folding up . I realized spreader bars instead of restricter lines could solve both problems.

Here's one way to make tripods with spreader bars that are easy to break down and portable: You could two screw eye bolts in each leg (an eye bolt for each end of a spreader bar: six altogether). Then make spreader bars with slots big enough for the eye bolts to slip through. Then, peg the eye bolts on the outside. This would eliminate the need for restricter lines, since it would prevent collapsing AND spreading. Caveat: I haven't tried this--it's just an idea in my head!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Look, look, look what you all made me do today. Also, not being able to get out and hang because of the heat was driving me crazy.

The hammock is my WBBB 1.1 DL.

I borrowed some 6 ft wooden poles to try out, bought a 10ft-6in top rail and found some rail caps that have built in eyes. A pair of quick links allowed me to leave my whoopies on (thanks shumway) and connect with an extension amsteel length in the middle. The pole is hanging from a prussiked 12" closed loop hanging from the lashings. Total spent <$20 (didn't have to buy the poles). The set up works great. The fence rail seems plenty strong ( I'm just on the low side of 2 bills).
    My weakest link seems to be the actual whipping itself. I'm not sure if I used enough wraps (4ish), the wood is too slick or if I'm not angling or positioning the tripod correctly. The whipping tends to slip down on just 1 of the poles, slowly lowering me to the ground. I have solved this by driving a wood screw into each pole just below the wrappings, leaving the screw head just proud of the wrapping. I don't like this cheat (although it is a nice safety back up) and I am wondering if anybody has any ideas what I may be doing wrong with the tripods.
    Here are some close ups.

I still have to add the lower leg girdle and I'll be swapping out the pole hanging loops with amsteel, but now I have to go get a good night sleep (finally).

Jason
    Last edited by jwright; 07-29-2011 at 11:30. Reason: fixed missing pictures

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    My weakest link seems to be the actual whipping itself. I'm not sure if I used enough wraps (4ish), the wood is too slick or if I'm not angling or positioning the tripod correctly. The whipping tends to slip down on just 1 of the poles, slowly lowering me to the ground. I have solved this by driving a wood screw into each pole just below the wrappings, leaving the screw head just proud of the wrapping. I don't like this cheat (although it is a nice safety back up) and I am wondering if anybody has any ideas what I may be doing wrong with the tripods.
    I wouldn't say it's *wrong*, but you could try to rough sand the end that slips, and possibly tighten up the lashing.

I use one of the joints on my bamboo to keep it from sliding.
    Last edited by jred; 07-28-2011 at 23:05. Reason: fix the quoting

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    The whipping tends to slip down on just 1 of the poles, slowly lowering me to the ground.
    I have that issue too. (and I use bark covered saplings) I understand your feeling of "cheating" but putting screws under the lashing is actually a very good idea! I use cord that's not very slippery and that may keep me from getting the lashings as tight as I could. I'd love to hear other solutions to the problem of the poles slowly slipping upward through the lashings!

P.S. When I quoted Jason, it shows three additional images that I can't see. I don't know what's going on there, but I do understand what you're saying.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast