Page 23 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    QChan, one of these stand is in my near future now that I'm fulltiming. When you mentioned the stand sliding around it left me wondering if you had any caps on the ends of the legs. The dowels look to be 1 1/4" dia., crutch tips come in various sizes and may keep them from sliding as much.
    It would work, the problem with mine in particular is we would move one of the legs once and a while to walk past and I'd forget to check before I'd have a nap, it hasn't collapsed on me while I'm in it, just when I'm getting up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa
    Here's one way to make tripods with spreader bars that are easy to break down and portable: You could two screw eye bolts in each leg (an eye bolt for each end of a spreader bar: six altogether). Then make spreader bars with slots big enough for the eye bolts to slip through. Then, peg the eye bolts on the outside. This would eliminate the need for restricter lines, since it would prevent collapsing AND spreading. Caveat: I haven't tried this--it's just an idea in my head!
    we were going to do this exact thing, but when we started thinking about the angles and whatnot, it was just too much work for the time being. I am going to make a stand with this idea(My grandpappy says it won't affect the structure enough to make it dangerous), but for now this works.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Jason-- I have struggled with this sliding problem with each stand I have made, with bamboo and with aluminum. Solved it various ways earlier. But having seen your post, I just added two screws, one on each center pole, to the new bamboo stand I made yesterday. I was minutes short of packing the stand into the car when I saw your post. Having left my earlier TL stands at homes I frequent as an overnight guest, now I needed a new one for a two nights we are to spend in a motel this weekend. I plan to stop at Lowe's en route to get the toprail. I have packed my hack saw. I will look for the endcaps you mentioned. Thanks for a most timely post.

I only see one photo, too. How many did you post?

Q-Chan: Your spread limiters were inspirational, indeed. I will be copying that tri-legged whoopie just for the fun of it! How perfect! Just curious, what did you use at the center point?

Joyfully, Turtlelady

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Jason, I love those end caps. I might grab a pair of those. My s-hook idea works but I'm nervous about putting too much stress in the tubing wall. The end cap would spread that out more I think.
    On the slipping lashing - mine hasn't moved at all. Not sure what I did special really. Every few wraps I yanked the heck out of the para cord to make sure it is tight. I also made sure to really pull hard on the frapping turns. That's those wraps around the cord between the poles. The frapping turns should have the effect of tightening the first wraps if you tighten them enough. I don't know if this helps at all.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    One other thing - You might want to consider hanging from something other than parachute cord. It might be strong enough doubled like that, but I'd be nervous about it. Also it stretches. I'm using a loop of 7/64 Amsteel.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Jason - I see all four photos now. Very nice. Drilling metal is not something I do comfortably, but adding that security and extra inch could be helpful. I will ask my sweet hubby to drill those for me when I get the caps and am home.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Those caps should stay on without a bolt. Well, at least when there's some weight on the hammock. You could just toss a wrap of tape over the joint if you're worried about them falling off when the hammock isn't loaded.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post

Jason

Now I see. Say! That is CL!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Jason-- I took time to show my husband your photos. He is now on board for adding end caps to the newest stand en route to our weekend destination. Bolts and drill set packed. The hardware store has always been high on our list of favorite date destinations! What a grand adventure -- good ideas that just keep getting better and better.

I really am so very grateful for all you wonderful folks connected to hammock forums. You have added such good things to my life! Pssst! Shadowmoss, I hope you hear me all the way down there is Hondo land.

Joyfully, Turtlelady

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Shumway - the caps fit really, really loose. When used in a fence application, the end cap is captured, there isn't much freedom for the cap to move off the rail. In this application, there is no such security. After fiddling with them, there is NO way I would hang from them without the bolt (and you noticed my temporary paracord loops). Plus they would disappear quickly when the rail was disassembled.

TL - The caps drill easy - they are Aluminum, I used my trusty cordless drill and a dewalt bit - they have a small starter point before the full diameter. I drilled both sides of the caps first, then placed them on the rail and drilled the rail, with the cap in place, using the cordless drill and making sure not to mix them up after drilling. 2" x 5/16" coarse thread bolts and lock nuts were easy to find.

I also found out that the 'proper' tripod method is to cross the side poles in front of the center pole so that the center pole then rests on the crossed side poles. The wood to wood contact then supports the weight. The way I have it in the pictures, the center pole is supported (hung) by the lashings themselves. This may be part of the slippage issue. Regardless, I still like the added security of driving a screw just below the lashings as a mechanical stop.
    http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/tripod.html or www.ropeworks.biz/reader/tripod.pdf

There maybe a few additional pictures in my gallery.
    Thanks to everyone who posted pictures or ideas.

Jason

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post

Q-Chan: Your spread limiters were inspirational, indeed. I will be copying that tri-legged whoopie just for the fun of it! How perfect! Just curious, what did you use at the center point?

I just spliced the one piece right through the other. Probably not the best way, but it works, I'm thinking of improving them, it's a little bit hard to get them as tight as I like. If my idea works I'll post more pictures.

• + New Posts
  • Page 23 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast