Page 24 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    So, finally back home, time to build one of these stands. If all goes well I'll be able to field test an outdoor portable Turtlestand in about two weeks. Hope I get everything finished in time. There is of course always a chance the stand will give me a blue backside and a bump in the head once I weight it down, since I'll be using untested materials, in which case I'll have to do some more ground dwelling.

Very nice developments in this stand from the new posts too. The spreader bars & end caps seem really convenient. But most of the stuff you guys use, is just nowhere to be found here in Europe. When you're a tinkerer, it sucks not finding what you're looking for. It does make you look for creative solutions though.

Question: Each leg will be about 1m73cm (68,11 inches) in length when finished. How big would the sides of the triangle be that is formed by visually connecting the legs on the floor for a stable tripod position ? I would like an estimate because I would like to know how much string I'll need for the "spread limiter cords". Not sure yet if I make a triangle shaped spread limiter cord setup, or one of those flux capacitor thingies since it looks real cool.

Additional info to help answer the question:
    • Ridgepole: 2m40cm (94,49 inches) - two 1m20cm (47,24inces) metal curtain rod pieces, gorilla tape reinforced pvc sleeve over the cut part to join them back together. This is the part I'm most worried about. I'm quite anxious about getting that thing on my head.

• possible addition of toggles made from leftover broomstick to lengthen the ridge (read that for a flat lay in an eno doublenest, hanging at 2m30cm or 90/91inches would be best. Which would be possible, if only just, with the 2m40cm (94,49inches) ridgepole.)

• I'm 72,26inches tall and weigh about 147,7lbs (67kg)

• I'll be using 1m (39,4 inches) thick walled pvc pipes in combination with 1m20 broomsticks for the tripod legs.

Any help would be welcome!

ps: I'll make sure to take pictures before I lay in it. That way I can at least show it, even it were to collapse. Hope it doesn't, but if it does, it'll be a "how NOT to do it" manual for others.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    I was in Home Depot for something today so I grabbed a couple of those end caps. Tested them this evening briefly. I wound some Gorilla Tape around the pole to help them fit tighter. I didn't want to drill them. No real reason why not, I just didn't. I used small shackles on each end instead of quick links. It seemed to work well enough. I was going to sleep out tonight but some friends dropped by and didn't leave until it was a little too dark to set up my tarp. Maybe tomorrow

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Shumway,
    That sounds good. Too bad you didn't get out there. I always feel a bit disappointed when I miss a night out.
    I thought about using soft shackles on my end caps, but the caps I got were fairly rough around the holes and I was worried about abraiding thru the amsteel. I saw the quicklinks and for $2 thought they would be a good alternative. I do like the soft shackle idea - I tend to trust rope more than hardware (maybe why I bolted my caps on).
    If you decide to bolt on the caps, they do drill very easily - It took about 4 min max, and I did it by hand.
    jason

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I keep reading about the lashing slipping. I was wondering if anyone has tried to twist the middle pole of the tripod around between the other two poles? This is how Native Americans tightened their lashings on their teepees.
    Chris

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Quote Originally Posted by kreecher View Post
    Question: Each leg will be about 1m73cm (68,11 inches) in length when finished. How big would the sides of the triangle be that is formed by visually connecting the legs on the floor for a stable tripod position ? I would like an estimate because I would like to know how much string I'll need for the "spread limiter cords". Not sure yet if I make a triangle shaped spread limiter cord setup, or one of those flux capacitor thingies since it looks real cool.
    my spreader bars are 17 inches each, but you could really make them as wide as you like, I originally had my tripods set up much wider, but took them in once I added the spreaders.

If you do make one like I have on mine(The flux capacitor style) make sure you have lots off loose end, mine are very very difficult to get on and off my stand.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    @QChan - Thanks for the advice and the tip on the flux capacitor style spread limiters. I now have some guide as to how far I'll put them apart, thanks!

I'm really worried though, that the whole thing will collapse on me. Broomsticks and pvc tubes are nowhere near as strong as bamboo. And a curtain rod is nowhere near as strong as fence top rails... I think I'm going to buy myself two 50kg (110lbs) bags of soil when I'm finished with the stand and put them in there over night. If it can hold that, it can hold me.

I have something else I'm wondering about: Is there any harm in tying the prusik knots that will hold the toggles on the outside parts of the ridge pole rather than in between the hanging loops ? So basically behind the loops where you hang the pole in, near the very ends of the pole itself?

I guess that if you would weight down the hammock with the suspension systems on the absolute end of the ridge pole, that it would compress upwards like a bow. In comparison to tying them more to the middle where the weight would pull the ridge pole more downwards like a happy smiley face... I wonder if one puts more stress on the system than the other and if one is safer than the other. And of course if there is any reason I should NOT tie the prusiks on the outsides of the hanging loops. I would like to put my suspension near the very end of the ridge pole (making it compress like a bow), because it is already so short.

EDIT: I've been thinking some more about the ridge pole acting like a bow when putting the prusik knots for the toggles on the ends of the pole, on the outsides of the hanging loops. I think I may have found a solution.

I was thinking about making two soft shackles to put around the toggles (red loops in picture) where the hammock would be suspended. I would also put a fixed loop in the middle of the pvc, gorilla tape enforced, sleeve tube that holds the two parts of ridgepole together. Then I would use my whoopie sling (yellow line in the picture) to connect to the soft shackles and feed it through the fixed loop.

When the hammock gets weighted down now, the force of the hammock will still pull the ridgepole upwards. But now it won't be able to go very far because the ridgeline will pull it back down, using the same weight that created the problem of the bow as an advantage. I was thinking that this way perhaps the fact that I have a weaker ridgepole (curtain rod with pvc pipe sleeve and small broomstick toggle) will matter less, because the force will be divided between the ridgeline system and the ridgepole/sleeve/toggle.

I added a picture to clarify it a bit. Turtlelady, I hope you don't mind I used a part of one of your pictures to explain it, since I don't have a stand of my own yet to doodle on. Btw, the blue circles are where my prusik knots would be tied, so behind the loops instead of in between.

Last edited by kreecher; 08-01-2011 at 09:57.

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    TurtleLady and ALL.

This is a most fun summer read !
    Concepts, Designs, Materials and Hardware.

Each read more of a cool breeze ! Fun for a hot summer!

Even for those of us who are only constructing in our minds.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G...Hawk View Post
    ...only constructing in our minds.
    LVE THAT!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    Jason-- I took time to show my husband your photos. He is now on board for adding end caps to the newest stand en route to our weekend destination. Bolts and drill set packed. The hardware store has always been high on our list of favorite date destinations! What a grand adventure -- good ideas that just keep getting better and better.

I really am so very grateful for all you wonderful folks connected to hammock forums. You have added such good things to my life! Pssst! Shadowmoss, I hope you hear me all the way down there is Hondo land.

Joyfully, Turtlelady
    Noted! Can't wait until I am at your place in Sept so we can play with this more. Ummm, yes, that is a hint. Especially since I'm planning on meeting up with you at a campground...
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Smile another TL stand

I've been lurking at Hammock Forms dot net for a long time now. The informative posts and video links make me dream of making my own gear and setting out for the woods. Unfortunately a lot of the camping in my area (SoCal) is desert camping. :/

So I decided to make a DIY stand, and loved the concept from Turtle Lady. This past weekend I dove in and made my own, along with a gathered-end hammock (thanks Knotty!), and was pleased to have completed the project. I used closet wood dowels from Home Depot. However, as a hammock newbie and a clueless knot tie-er, I have some questions/observations.

- My tripods are made of 6' sections. When setting up the two tripods, be sure that the center leg is resting on the cross of the two remaining legs to provide strength to the tripod.

- My suspension (or lack thereof) is a length of amsteel tied to make a circle (via a double fishermans knot). I doubled up the circle and looped it over the center leg of the tripod and hung my 12' ridge pole from the hanging loop. Then, I took another loop of amsteel (again tied together via a double fishermans knot) and made a prusik knot. The hanging loop of the prusik then captures the end of my hammock via a larks head knot. Are these knots sufficient?

- The prusik knots on the ridge pole are outside the loops hanging from the tripod lashings. I had tried putting the prusik knots inside (I thought it would help keep the ridge pole from bowing), but then the loops hanging from the lashings would slide down the ridge pole, or my ridge pole would bend so much that I was afraid it was going to snap. For those of you using a fence rail, do you notice much flexing?

- I believe my hammock is approx. 11'3" long. My ridge pole is 12' long. I am surprised that I had so many issues with the ridge pole wanting to bend (usually the middle would bow upwards making an upside down "u" of sorts). Much trial and error of moving the tripods and the placement of the loops hanging from the tripod lashings and the prusiks was necessary to get it right.

- Finally, I am a bit concerned that I'm not hanging flat enough. I am laying across the hammock. Does a tighter hang always equal a flatter lay? I currently have tripods and hammock setup such that there is not much flex in the ridge pole. However, I'm probably only 18" off the ground and it's a bit hard getting out of the hammock!

Thanks again to Turtle Lady and Knotty!
    John

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast