Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    [QUOTE=titaniumfrycook;518904]

>>Are bolts of fabric always the same width?

Definitely not. 60" seems pretty common for the types of fabric we want to make hammocks out of. But not always. This is why many commercial hammocks you see have strips of another color fabric down each side. For example, my Trek Light Hammock that I use for sleeping at home is 80" wide: 60" black middle body, and 10" of tan fabric on either side of that. I haven't any experience in DIY hammock building, but from reading in the forums, it appears some of the cottage suppliers of DIY have some good bargains on fabric of the size and type that is best suited for the DIY needs.

The larkshead knot attachment you are using additionally tightens your already narrow hammock. You could try to make it a gathered end style,with a loop through the hem being what you attach to the ridgepole . This might allow for more spread of your hammock and might be more comfortable.

>>I understand your point. However, in my case I'm using those prusiks to "capture" the hanging loops such that the hanging loops from the tripod lashing can't move (in case they want to slide because the ridge pole is flexing). Also, I didn't have much luck moving the prusiks inside and then having the ridge pole flex like a giant "u" - I think part of the issue is that fact I'm using a long piece of pretty flexible wood, as opposed to a metal pole.

With a 10' pole, there is some concern to keep the hanging loop in place without it moving off the end. That is why I got excited with the end cap idea.
    However, your pole is so long, the pole can extend well beyond your hanging loops. With your hammock and suspension technique, you would need to have only about 10' distance between your hanging loops, regardless of how long your pole happens to be, especially with the way you now tie your hammock with the prusik loop. Those who are trying to keep their normal outdoor camping suspensions and perhaps longer hammocks but make it fit the tri-pod stands are making longer ridgepoles or designing special rig techniques to accommodate the added length.

What works well for one person isn't of interest at all to the next. It is the nature of the hammocking that these little variables all add up to making each hang very individual. We tend to reach one level of success and live with it happily for a while, then the tweaking all over again on some part of the system. It is part of the fun!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Better yet, set up the video camera for when you get in it!
    Expectations for a comical ending to my version of this stand seem to be rising, lol.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    I was wondering how y'all are keeping the price of materials so low? When I ran to Lowe's and Home Depot to price parts and came up with about $42 for 2x2x8 redwood poles, a 10' fence top rail, two of the angled end caps, and a top rail coupler.

I am planing on cutting the ridge pole in half, using JB weld to attach the coupler on one side. Also using JB weld to attach the end caps. MIL-SPEC (don't trust civvie spec stuff) 550 cord to lash the tripod together using boy scout lashings with the spread limiters on the bottom of the tripod (Also MIL-SPEC 550 cord).

Planning on hanging an ENO double nest with stock suspension from the stand, and maybe throwing a old synthetic sleeping bag under it as a light impromptu underquilt. As soon as I can afford all the parts of course!

Anyone spot some flaws they have had experience with? Recommendations? Questions?
    Last edited by Isheian; 08-04-2011 at 19:20.
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Isheian - I'm not sure about the coupler. The fence pole top rail has a male and female end. Cutting it in half allows you to flip one end and join M to F, I haven't felt the need for a coupler. I did wrap a few turns of tape around the male end, but that was it. I think people are using couplers when they have 2 similar ends.
    You could also try the stand with 2x2 (see posts miles above). They look like they work well and would be MUCH cheaper. Maybe that person can chime in with an update - I think they were able to cut them down to 5.5 feet. My poles are 6 foot and my 100" ridgeline hammock is well off the ground.
    Good luck.
    Jason

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

my attempt at the turtlestand :)

So, here are some pictures:

Here is the stand all put in a heap:

And here you can see it spread out:

The little black piece of dowel, goes in between the curtain rod ridgepole pieces, as extra reinforcement.

I attached the whoopie sling directly to the hammock suspension for now. I'm waiting for my fresh batch of amsteel-like rope (1414kg (3117lbs) breaking strength, 3mm (1/8 inches), called Q1) but didn't have the patience.

And here's my Turtlestand in it's glory:

Right now it's untested, the grey blanket in the hammock is to keep my hammock clean once I weight it down with bags of earth. But that'll be for tomorrow. For today I'm done with the stand. I have to clean up all the mess I made, looks like a hurricane went through here.

Let's hope the test goes well tomorrow and the stand survives. I used some leftover yellow string I had left instead of the flux capacitor, because, as stated above, my amsteel is staying away rather long.
    Last edited by kreecher; 08-03-2011 at 15:22. Reason: forgot the lbs + inches conversion :)

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Kreecher, first of all, that rig looks awesome! Great job.

I haven't been keeping up with the thread completely. What are your tripods made of? I only as because they seem to be pretty slender.

The lower halves of the tripods seem to be smaller still than the uppers. This all may be fine depending on the material but if I could make one suggestion, I would consider whether your cordage that restricts the spread of the tripod legs maybe should be lower. The lower you are able to put that cordage, the less outward stress there will be on those lower legs.

Of course it's all a balancing act and the even the spread of the tripod legs plays an important part. But your setup looks pretty near perfect to me.

Nice
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    @hppyfngy - varnished broomsticks shortened to 120cm (3,9') inside of PVC tubing with 3mm (1/8") walls, PVC tubes are a 100cm (3,3') long. Total length of a propped up leg is 170cm (5,6'), so the broomstick slides 50cm (1,6')into the PVC tubes. I used these materials, because it's pretty much all I could find that wouldn't cost me a fortune and that would be compact enough to put in the trunk of the car. When stowed away, it's only 120cm (3,9') long, which only just fits the car. Hardware stores are quite expensive here and don't hold a lot of useful stuff (they'd like us to buy mostly finished products here ).

I'll think about putting the leg tensioners on a bit lower, just not sure how much lower or how to attach it then. I may have to use some decent knots to prevent slipping to do so. I put the tensioners at that spot, because the tube holds the string in place, so ... laziness pretty much made that decision.

It took me quite some time to make this thing, so I hope it wont break apart on the weighting test tomorrow.

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

my bad

Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    ... The spread limiter I put on my most recent stand was parachute cord put through holes drilled in the bamboo at 18" from the bottom end. The distance from one leg to the next at that point was 29".
    I just remembered, I DO know how high they "should" be. Turtlelady said hers were at, 18" or 45cm from the bottom. Since she invented the whole thing, I'm sure they're at that height for a good reason.

That means I need to lower mine 25cm (9,8"). Guess I'll do that before I put in 100kg of soil (220lbs) just to be on the safe side. Since it's high time to go to sleep, I'll try and dream up of a way to attach them and keep them from sliding up...

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Kreecher...nice rig! I like the collapsing legs...

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kreecher View Post
    I put the tensioners at that spot, because the tube holds the string in place, so ... laziness pretty much made that decision.

It took me quite some time to make this thing, so I hope it wont break apart on the weighting test tomorrow.
    I knew that's why the tensioners were where they are. That doesn't mean they won't work. Most of my best designs have been on the fly or "just because..."

Good luck! I think it's brilliant!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 26 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast