Page 28 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    @titaniumfrycook - Thanks! I think the ridgepole will hold up OK. I'm more worried about the legs bending, but I'm going to try to fix that tomorrow by adding a couple of flux capacitor limiters per tripod. One at the complete bottom, one in the middle of the pvc upper part and perhaps one more at 18" from the floor. Not sure about the third one.

I'm also going to add the same type of stripes that are on the legs (in white this time) to the ridgepole sleeve after I've covered it completely in black gorilla tape. It doesn't really have any functional use, but without them it looks a bit boring IMO.

The ridgeline only starts working at heavier weights. Anything below 75kg/80kg (165lbs/176lbs) the ridgepole can handle on it's own. But when I loaded it to 210lbs (95kg) the ridgeline started pulling on the ridgepole keeping it in place (moved it so it didn't pull on the pole and it went up noticeably) . I'm still not sure if it's really necessary, but it does make me feel a bit safer. I may not weigh in at 210lbs, but it's good to know that when I toss and turn at night, or put on my ridiculously heavy UQ, or get in a bit less prudent than I should, the ridgeline is there to counteract me.

@QChan - Did you ever get to making any improvements on the flux capacitor things or did you stick with the spliced one ? I'm also not sure if I understand how making one works, do you splice one piece that is twice the size of one flux capacitor leg in the middle ? And would splicing this piece mean you stuff the third part into the longer piece and then making an eye out of it or something ? I'm sure I can come up with something tomorrow, but knowing how you did it may help too.

EDIT: This is how I'll make the flux capacitors:
    • * a soft shackle for the center
      * three mini-whoopie's
      * fixed loops go around my legs
      * adjustable whoopie parts go around the soft shackle
      * end of each mini-whoopie will be fed into itself for neatness + a toggle is poked through for comfort of use (easier to pull, no worries about going into itself)
      * the floopie (tired of saying flux capacitor thingie ) will remain on the legs, even when stored

That's it.
    Last edited by kreecher; 08-05-2011 at 10:09. Reason: thought of a way to make the floopies

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    I need to go back to Lowe's and take a better look tommorow. Maybe they will be cheaper. I have yet to see 6' poles. I have well over a thousand feet for 550 cordage, the units break the spools and chuck them. I scoop it up and fix it right up. I am thinking about braiding some to make a loop and then splicing it around again to hang the ridge pole off of. Let y'all know how it all works out.

BTW I am 6'3", is a 10' ridge pole going to be long enough for me to get comfy in an ENO Double nest or a double Grand Trunk?
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Isheian,
    Take a look at the 2x2 square (usually fir) boards, not the dowels. The needed ridge pole length is determined by your hammock's ridgeline length. I think my eno DN had an 88" ridgeline (from the gather to the gather). The warbonnet with a 100" ridgeline fits well on the 10 foot pole, especially with the endcaps.
    jason

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    ^ I agree with Jason. I used the square 2x2s. They are much less expensive than the dowel. If you want looks, go dowel. If you want function and savings, go dimensional lumber. I didn't see any 6' pieces either so I grabbed 8 footers. The six scraps may be recruited for another task at some point but right now they are in my wood pile.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    My bad, I could not think of what to call them. The square 2x2x8 are what I am looking at using.
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    @all - stand is approved for use. Guess there's still a chance it'll break and/or fail, but it seems quite unlikely and I'm willing to take the risk. I'll be happy to use my duct taped dr seussian version of Turtlelady's beautiful idea. It'll be field tested for a full week next week. That's where I'll find out if I can sleep full time in a hammock or not too.

On a dreamy note: I would LOVE to get this dr. Seussian style collapsible legs and ridgepole system in an all "pretty spray painted" aluminum version, but I wouldn't know where to get such a thing or even where to start looking for it. So my PVC/broomstick version will have to suffice.

Battery of the camera is empty right now, but I'll plug it in so I can take pictures later.

One more thing I will still add are some loops at the bottom of each leg, so I can use pegs to drive into the ground when I put it up outdoors. That way I'm certain my legs will stay where they should (even when getting out) and it'll be easier to mount my ridgepole without the tripods moving and/or put a tarp over it. Other changes that were made since the last pictures: added stripes on the ridgepole & put floopies into place.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Sweet success! Congratulations, Kreecher. My prediction: You will begin to see TL stand making materials in unlikely places after your week of field testing. You will slow down when you pass recycling centers, trash bins or building sites.

Have a lovely week. TL

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Update! I had a windfall in the finances department and jumped to start this project. Bought the parts and put it together at midnight and set up me new hammock. It is an ENO Doublenest deluxe and even though I only got about three hours sleep it was the best sleep in my life! I finished the stand by cutting the square 2x2 from eight feet to six foot six inches. I added two feet of chain to the end of the ridge pole to allow say adjustability. Works easy and I like it. As for the braided 550 cord to hang the the ridge pole of off, it's working good. Pictures to follow.
    Meaning of the EOD Badge

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Isheian, that is great news! Congratulations. I agree, just a few hours of good sleep in a hammock is can be better than a full night of tossing and turning in a bed or on the ground. I am anxious to see your pictures, particularly what you did with the chain. TL

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    The wait is over, the pics are here. If anyone wants to see something in particular. ask and ye shall receive!

Overview:

Close up on chain attachment:

Using figure 9's to find the best length on the spread limiters:

The braided 550 cord attached to the tripod:

And me in the hammock:

Still to do:
    1.) Using a semi transparent stain, stain and water proof the wood.
    2.) Find a better way to attach the spread limiting cord on the tripod legs.
    3.) Plasti-dip the foot part of the tripods.
    4.) Find some way to make that silver pole look better.
    5.) Steampunk it all. Maybe.....

BTW one of the legs on my tripod doesn't seem to be supporting any weight. Any Ideas on how to fix that? In the first picture it is the furthest tripod, back leg.
    Meaning of the EOD Badge

• + New Posts
  • Page 28 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast