Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    If it is fully extended (i.e. the top of the posts are touching), then that is acting as your spread limiter so you won't need one. I didn't use one until I shortened the distance between the legs.

Hammock
    Currently GT Double Parachute; GTUL
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings

Question Possible teepee mod/accessory to stand?

Saw a luxury kid's teepee that was made of 3 7ft pine poles and some heavyweight designer canvas. The pine was inserted into the canvas that had reinforced, pre-sewn channels and seemed to be able to hold a bit of weight.

I was wondering if by using the same idea, replacing the canvas with ripstop (smaller pieces of course since we're not actually building a teepee), and triple-stitching & bar tacking the stress points, if this could be used as a quick setup to replace most of the lashing and double as a spread limiter?

A plus would be that housekeeping might not be so freaked out to walk into a room with a hammock, since this would be fast and easy to setup and take down by just simply inserting the poles into the channels, and securing the horizontal piece to each tripod.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leemur View Post
    Saw a luxury kid's teepee that was made of 3 7ft pine poles and some heavyweight designer canvas. The pine was inserted into the canvas that had reinforced, pre-sewn channels and seemed to be able to hold a bit of weight.

I was wondering if by using the same idea, replacing the canvas with ripstop (smaller pieces of course since we're not actually building a teepee), and triple-stitching & bar tacking the stress points, if this could be used as a quick setup to replace most of the lashing and double as a spread limiter?

A plus would be that housekeeping might not be so freaked out to walk into a room with a hammock, since this would be fast and easy to setup and take down by just simply inserting the poles into the channels, and securing the horizontal piece to each tripod.
    Still seems a little clumsy to me. I think I would just use webbing at that point. Stitch in loops and attach directly to the poles maybe.

But don't let me discourage you! If you have an idea go for it! Maybe I'm just not seeing what you are...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leemur View Post

My mental image may be different than yours but sounds interesting. Are you thinking an upper and lower fabric piece on each tripod? That should reduce the weight and hardware and make it almost a pop open tripod.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    My mental image may be different than yours but sounds interesting. Are you thinking an upper and lower fabric piece on each tripod? That should reduce the weight and hardware and make it almost a pop open tripod.
    Yes, this would make the tripod a pop-open tripod that will set up the same every time. So you can just pick it up and set it to one side for travel/vacuuming the room or whatever. It would essentially be to the tripod what a structural ridgeline is to a hammock. The fabric could even be made to co-ordinate with home decor for those setting up at home.

I can't remember the website of the lady's teepees and google doesn't seem to be able to find it. The pine poles are approx 4-5" diameter and the teepee is made of heavyweight canvas. The channels are sewn through the entire vertical length of the canvas at an angle so kids wouldn't accidentally knock the thing over and give themselves a head injury. The poles slide in from the top opening. This way the canvas can be removed for washing and the lady sells different patterns of canvases as well. This teepee was somewhere in the range of $1000+ and was featured in one of those home decor magazines' article on fancy mansions. I saw it in person at an event a few years back.

For hanging purposes we might just need a a few inches (8-10"?) of ripstop fabric at the top and maybe at the bottom. If measured and sewn correctly, the weight should be evenly distributed along the whole length of each tripod leg so there shouldn't be any fabric sliding out of place even under pressure.

From what I remember of the teepee, the area of friction was at the top where the 3 poles met. Perhaps reinforcement with poly-webbing of some sort?

Does anyone this this would work?

Hammock
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Still seems a little clumsy to me. I think I would just use webbing at that point. Stitch in loops and attach directly to the poles maybe.

But don't let me discourage you! If you have an idea go for it! Maybe I'm just not seeing what you are...
    You're right, making it out of wide webbing should work too However, earlier in the thread there was something about weight distribution and I was thinking that a wider/larger fabric would help with even weight distribution on all the legs.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    The webbing, maybe 1 1/2" wide, attached 6" down from top and 12" to 16" up from bottom on each leg? Would need to be screwed to the legs to secure the webbing in place. Flashbang had his legs spaced @ 36 or 38", mine are at 48", the 36" should be fine. Only looking @ 20' of webbing, go for it!
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    The idea of fabric-braced tripods is intriguing for sure. I do worry, however, that there would be no resistance to the tripod legs "walking" CLOSED. I found that to be the most common--in fact, the ONLY--reason for collapse. (Your experience may vary!!!) But since I replaced the limiter lines with rigid braces, I have never had any problem with either stand that I have made so far. (One is a permanent fixture in our living room now!) Best of luck to you on this idea and keep us posted!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings
    I'd forgotten about the "legs walking" issue...

I'd like to say that once you've got the legs set up how you'd like them, pockets/loops (depending on whether we're using webbing or fabric here) can be sewn in increments so make this adjustable as well. A kind of adjustable structural ridgeline for the legs. Maybe even using different coloured thread for the bartacking of each section to make it easier to quickly identify the corresponding pockets that the other legs should go into.

As for the "walking" I'm thinking of a thin plywood ninja star of sorts that can be slotted/tied/clipped underneath the top fabric/webbing piece that keeps the legs from walking together from the top.

I'm not quite sure if I'm making any sense here or if I've just defeated the whole purpose of a portable stand by adding weight back on that I've taken off!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Other than when I'm working on my hammock on the stand and it's unloaded have I had any problem with it moving. If I'm in it, 220 lbs, it's not going anywhere. It is at a wider stance at 48" than some and now on carpet, with the rubber caps on tile or flooring I don't see it moving when loaded. leemur, you've got me thinking about this strap system and it might be perfect for the granddaughters. Some 1" straps from harbor Freight and 1" or 1 1/4" closet rod would be strong enough for them. Now I just need to finish some other projects.

• + New Posts
  • Page 40 of 85 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast