Page 50 of 85 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    Hi - as a first time hammocker and poster to this thread - thanks to all who have contributed to this great idea. Reading through the thread was a quicker, less painful, and much cheaper way of prototyping!

Re building a rig - I have some bits at home that might work well - I've 6 light steel tent poles and the tubes from a trampoline legs that slot together. I'm making a small joining piece at the top of each tripod that the tent poles will slot into and the connection for the ridge pipe will run through. I'm also making a folding rigid star shape leg spreader to make setting the legs easier. Finally the trampoline legs jointed together have a nice upturn at each end (where they were designed to support the trampoline frame) which give an extra foot height to the tripod height. Should pack down well and be an easy set up - will send video of outcome - could be wildly amusing!

cheers
    jaxxx

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxxx View Post
    - will send video of outcome - could be wildly amusing!

cheers
    jaxxx
    Sounds like a plan Jaxxx! Video is always welcome. Turn the camera on before you get in the hammock the first time.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip
    Tarp
    BCUSA Multi 10x10
    Insulation
    Car Sun Shade
    Here's mine i made yesterday...rock solid. My BCUSA Multicam 10x10 tarp should fit perfectly over the "ridgeline" pole above the hammock.

Hennessy:

Byer:

Here's another pic of the Hennessy:

thanks olddog and hppyfngy
    Last edited by mys4sllc; 03-17-2012 at 17:26. Reason: spell check

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mys4sllc View Post
    Here's another pic of the Hennessy:

thanks olddog and hppyfngy

That looks great dude, but is there anything besides gravity and friction keeping the tripod legs from spreading?

Don't want to seem alarmist, but most people including OldDog used cordage to keep the legs from spreading, and I angled the ends of the legs so they can't spread more than that.

Might think about adding something unless you have an invisible system I can't detect. That concrete looks hard!

Nice work

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip
    Tarp
    BCUSA Multi 10x10
    Insulation
    Car Sun Shade
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    That looks great dude, but is there anything besides gravity and friction keeping the tripod legs from spreading?

Don't want to seem alarmist, but most people including OldDog used cordage to keep the legs from spreading, and I angled the ends of the legs so they can't spread more than that.

Might think about adding something unless you have an invisible system I can't detect. That concrete looks hard!

Nice work
    Haha...no invisible system.

yeah i installed some spreader limiters on both tripods right after these pics were taken. thx again.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    I have not even decided on a hammock yet but want to build some form of these. I am actually going to get with a machinist friend and see what we can come up with as a fold up or telescoping version of old dogs or the original tripod style. Maybe then I will get off the fence and decide on a hammock.

What better way for a first post then to share some nice results... I really liked the ideas in this thread.. so after i got my Ticket-to-the-moon hammock i changed from wanting hang it from the walls to such a stand. It would be more portable and also allow more fiddling as i'm new to hammocking..

I looked for some round wood but didn't find anything i liked so i got hold of some 3,4cmx3,4cm (1,3inch) bars. 6x 2m (around 79inches) for the tripods and 1x 3m (around 118inches) for the ridgebar. All togehter close to 20€..

Tried some of the suggested ways here to put it together but it was not as stable i had hoped. Guess the cord holds much better with round wood. But after drilling holes into the top of the tripods it turned out just great.

Now i'm fiddling around to find the 'perfect' ridgepole-length to get the best hang
    Attached Images Attached Images

not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but a buddy and I do something like this with our bikes. 4 special U shaped pegs keep bikes from falling over (prolly unneeded) and then guy lines run from bike's top tube to groundI've hung from top tube, seat post, and handle bars. As long as you can find 1 attachment point, you can do this with one bike, really helps when mountain biking in the desert.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by king_farvito View Post
    not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but a buddy and I do something like this with our bikes. 4 special U shaped pegs keep bikes from falling over (prolly unneeded) and then guy lines run from bike's top tube to groundI've hung from top tube, seat post, and handle bars. As long as you can find 1 attachment point, you can do this with one bike, really helps when mountain biking in the desert.
    This post needs pictures.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mys4sllc View Post
    Haha...no invisible system.

yeah i installed some spreader limiters on both tripods right after these pics were taken. thx again.
    Glad to hear that you placed some limiters on the legs. On the concrete the legs might not slip, but... gravity will hurt you! Good looking stand. What is the other hammock you're using?
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 50 of 85 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast